Forums Latest Members
  1. frozen.flags Jul 8, 2018

Hi,

I have a few questions/observations on the below watch that I have stumbled across that i can't seem to find any thoughts on elsewhere.

[​IMG]

The watch is a 2181 and has a page on the omegas vintage watch database -https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-ot-2181.

Firstly I can't seem to find any vintage omegas with a similar font so I'm thinking a possible redial however the quality of the numbers and OMEGA logo look good so could be original.

Secondly the seconds hand looks to be a replacement/ non original as i would expect to see a hand with tail on it rather than stopping.

Finally the crown looks to be a late addition, should I be looking for a non branded crown.

You thoughts would be highly appreciated!

2. BenBagbag Jul 8, 2018

This is the Bulang and Sons watch? I think it is overpriced even if original but I'm going to vote that it is a franken and redial because:

- 7 bleeds into subdial
    - The paint on subdial is not even - which is one of the hardest things to replicate for redialers - printing on textured surfaces (in this case, the subdial has concentric circles.

Movement putting it in mid-50's also isn't good news for a 40's style dial and means it is also not a 30t2. More I see more I think redialed franken...

Paulomega, ANALOGUE, marco and 2 others like this.
  3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 8, 2018

One easy tell for a redial, the 7 marker is partially on the subdial

4. connieseamaster Jul 8, 2018

Also, the 12 and the logo dindo seem to line up with the subdial and 6 marker

5. frozen.flags Jul 8, 2018

As I suspected. However I was under the impression that a 7 or 5 bleeding onto the subdial wasn't a tell. As discussed in previous threads...?

6. jumpingsecond Jul 8, 2018

Very similar dial to the 30t2 discussed here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/30t2-opinions.21699/#post-236031

the numeral fonts are slightly elaborated in this one though and the A in Omega is a flat top rather than a point. Mac_omega says some 7s can bleed into sub secs dial but it's not often and more than likely a tipoff to redial.

7. tamura Jul 8, 2018

I vote original
    here is mine
    frankenomega5.jpg
    fr2.jpg

frozen.flags likes this.
  8. BenBagbag Jul 8, 2018

9. BenBagbag Jul 8, 2018

But, what year is this from? If it's a 1940's watch there are still big problems with the movement being a 15mil serial...

Just trying to learn more, not trying to save too much face. :p

10. frozen.flags Jul 8, 2018

Potentially an original dial with a later movement?

The description further muddies the water a little as one bullet point says 50’s and one sentence says 40’s!

11. mac_omega Jul 9, 2018

My thoughts:

dial is original (the bleeding of the 7 is not relevant)

all hands are wrong (replacements)

crown is wrong

the movement is no 30 T2 but a cal 265 (as far I can decipher) - seems a bit late for a case 2181 - 1

The movement might have been swapped - but this must be checked in the archives, otherwise just assumption...

price seems a bit high given the uncertainties, otherwise a nice watch

12. piwatches Jan 20, 2024

That logo looks correct. I have seen several with no swiss marking

13. piwatches Jan 20, 2024

The thin logo looks correct on the dial. Some of these old dials really hold up well. My 2181 had 10 thousand serial number but i have seen others with a 265? I think the crown should be the dome in the middle type no logo. Swiss made on the dial seems to be missing on a lot of these.

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 20, 2024

You might want to be cognizant that you are replying to a thread that has been dead since 2018. Thanks for sharing though.