Forums Latest Members

2020/21 Commemorative Watch - Seamaster, Speedmaster, Railmaster or Perpetual Oyster?

1. Jon Walker Jun 9, 2021

The last year and a half have brought huge changes in my life. I moved from Chicago to Vancouver, left my practice as an attorney and after a great deal of time and sacrifice, finally became a barrister & solicitor in Canada. All the while working under the limitations and complications of the pandemic.

To commemorate the occasion I'm naturally wasting money on another watch I don't need. I mean of course I need another watch, doesn't everyone?

My collection consists of three classic Seamasters: (1) the recent 210.32.42.20.03.001 in vibrant blue with a rubber strap, an absolutely beautiful watch, but a touch large for my wrist; (2) the 2nd generation (depending on what you consider the first generation) Bond 2531.80.00, which is a timeless collector's piece but I find looks dull at certain times; (3) the wholly underrated 2264.50.00 "Ray Donovan", probably my favourite, the dial is so cool and its thin and light and dressy and I never thought I would love a quartz but I do.

My contenders are as follows:

(1) Obvious reasons - Vancouver, the red and white is totally different, thinking a 36 mm for a change. I know some people absolutely hate this watch, and I vacillate from adoring it to meh-ing it. Is it a sleeper Omega like the "Ray Donovan" or just lazy hack work to acknowledge the 2010 Olympics?

[​IMG]
    2. Abandon the Seamasters and go with an unusual, though oversized Speedmaster Broad Arrow, reminds me of an Explorer II but less than half the price.

[​IMG]
    3. A classic and generally underrated Railmaster.

[​IMG]
    4. Screw Omega, jump up in price and invest in a no date, no frills, Rolex Perpetual Oyster. Honestly I've never seen myself as a Rolex guy.

[​IMG]

2. ClaudeR Jun 12, 2021

Out of all those, the Vancouver looks by far the best (and it connects to your story)

3. amcclell Jun 12, 2021

I get the Vancouver connection and like the white/red but the no date Rolex OP has the edge for me. A major change in your country of residence warrants a major shift in brands. It's time to move on and diversify.

4. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jun 12, 2021

IMHO, you have divers covered, Speedy or non-tool…..non-tool for me…..Rolex or Railmaster, of the two shown I would have the railmaster.
    But that is just me, what grabs you? Usual advice here, go and try them on and see what does it.

5. DoctorEvil Jun 12, 2021

I agree with some of the earlier posts re divers watches as you have a couple already. If you want something dressy, go for the Rolex OP. If you want more of a tool watch look, go the Railmaster. Or, just to muddy the waters a bit, how about a dressy tool watch... the Speedmaster "First Omega in Space"?
    omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-31132403001001-l.png

Duracuir1 likes this.
  6. ClaudeR Jun 12, 2021

This!! Absolutely stunning watch

wilderbeast likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers Jun 12, 2021

Frankly, of the 4 watches you list, I would pick an Oyster Perpetual. It can be casual or dressy, which seems appropriate for a lawyer. I’d steer clear of the new releases (they are way overpriced) and look for one 3-5 years old in the secondary market. Those are still more expensive than they should be at the moment, but I think if you look, you can find a good deal. I would avoid online resellers, but look at local shops that deal in vintage Rolexes — I find these offer the best prices.

8. Caliber561 Jun 12, 2021

Surprised the aqua Terra isn't on this list. Maybe worth a look?

Alphasports, DoctorEvil and cezar like this.
  9. N05J3W3 Jun 12, 2021

Have you considered a Vancouver-made Halios?

10. Crunchie Jun 12, 2021

I love the previous generation Railmaster.

They’re a few years old now, but 39mm and particularly the 36mm are really nice, well-proportioned watches.

11. Alphasports Jun 14, 2021

Having just dumped my last 2 Rolexes I second an Aqua Terra. If you feel the need to hop on the Rolex train you might consider a 214270 Explorer, but they are so overpriced for what you get...I recently sold mine because despite being a 2014 that had just had a maintenance checkup at the AD barely 2 years ago, it recently completely crapped out (randomly stopped working) and required a full $1000 CAD service. So I dumped it as-is and bought a PO 215.92.44.21.99.00 to go with my 2531.80 and Speedy Reduced.

3rdstringholder likes this.