Forums Latest Members

2019 half-a-century Apollo 11, missed chance for Omega fans ?

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 1, 2019

Of course, de gustibus non est disputandum... but ... IMHO on expectations this guy has the right opinion :unsure:
    Spaceflight Speedmaster fans really hoped for a 321 stainless steel version of the Speedmaster chronograph !
    I'll have mine... with a 60 minutes bezel

hansmaulwurf and waveguide like this.
  2. Martin_J_N Nov 1, 2019

Seen, hmmm

What did I think, well I have decided that I will decline to comment on the content.

3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 1, 2019

Of course the 2019 Speedmaster designs weren't a complete flop as Omega got it spot on with the reissue of the Gold Apollo tribute Speedmaster chronograph as given to the Apollo astronauts... however the 'metal magic' 50th Apollo 11 Speedmaster wasn't something for spaceflight purists, especially when everybody knew Omega was working on a revival of the 321 movement, based on a scan of Cernan's Apollo 17 Moonwatch.

Anyway another chance at the horizon and lots of expectations for the 50th Apollo 13 Speedmaster chronograph... for which, IMHO Omega could consider a few little things:
    1. Stick as much as possible to the original 1960s Moonwatch, steel bracelet, hesalite, applied logo on a familiar black dial and an updated DON bezel
    2. Better still, add an optional 60 minutes bezel as based on NASA Apollo astronauts' feedback ...
    3. Lots of Speedmaster fans are looking forward to a stainless steel 321 Speedmaster chronograph... but I guess the 321 might be strictly reserved for precious metals versions of our beloved chronograph ?
    :unsure:
    I'm convinced the Apollo 13 mission is better known by the general public as it has been mediatized & commemorated in movies and documentaries. And although most people can't name the three Apollo 13 astronauts, 2020 presents another great opportunity for an advertizing coup for Omega Bienne... bringing out a stainless steel 50th Apollo 13 Speedmaster chronograph everybody wants...
    :coffee:...

Watchmutt and Martin_J_N like this.
  4. Martin_J_N Nov 1, 2019

Nice thoughts, but IMHO Omega will use the 3861 for the A13 50th, it will have gold in some format as it is a 50th anniversary and that is traditionally celebrated as a golden celebration, the watch will be launched at around 7000 pieces as Omega have proved that they can sell a LE in those quantities.

I understand that it would be great for Omega to do something extra special for the A13 50th but in reality its a watch, a special watch, a celebratory watch, but in reality it is a product to be sold and a product that Omega will need to make a profit on. It will not have escaped the watchful eyes of Omega that the last A13 LE is selling at phenomenal prices for a watch that is just 4 years old, £20,000 on various sites in the UK, profit that they are not making, so in their eyes a 7000 watch rollout at £7500 - £8000 will give Omega a good profit and may just stop the practice of people flipping watches to make large profits.

Whereas, for me the 321 will be more restrained, it will appear in SS, those people that I have talked to believe that the watch will be announced pre Christmas. But, it will be a premium product and not a replica of an early Speedmaster, so Sapphire crystals both sides, ceramic bezel, but the hands, dial and indices may be retro but that will be all, it may be packaged with both a bracelet to mimic the era but also a strap as many watches were worn that way.

I missed out on the A11 50th, funds not available at the time, but I am ready for the A13 50th, if Omega release one.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  5. YY77 Nov 1, 2019

Dito

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 1, 2019

True. I can remember Tom Hanks and Bill Paxton, but the name of the third astronaut eludes me...

89-0, Linzer, Lurk41 and 4 others like this.
  7. Martin_F Nov 1, 2019

Haha... Gary Sinise? Ouch.

8. time flies Nov 1, 2019

Gary played the one who was sick and cut from the mission.

have fun
    kfw

9. time flies Nov 1, 2019

Kevin Bacon maybe?

have fun
    kfw

VetPsychWars likes this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 2, 2019

As some Omega fans who contacted me, but I was just pointing out this video...
    Nowadays almost half of Omega's business comes from the new rich in Asia, it seemed normal they're going for more Bling Metal Magic watches & chronographs... makes me wonder what the average age is of the design team?
    :unsure:

11. Martin_F Nov 2, 2019

Exactly my point! :thumbsup:

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 3, 2019

For once & for all... original crew and the revised crew with Jack Swigert wearing his personal Rolex 1675 GMT-Master
    A13.jpg
    A13_2.jpg

time flies and TJH like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 3, 2019

Well there is 48 countries in Asia and it’s Population is 4.463 billion in 2016

Why ?

We know the design team that designed the original is not their now.

The constant quest for Omega to make the same watch they made over 50 years ago is weird as they already do.

They have the 321 back in production for the enthusiastic buyers and they are available but you are the first to complain about Omega,s price rises and expensive metals

You could quite easily buy a vintage 321 and put a 60 minute bezel on it yourself.
    Both these are available for a price today ( but wanting Omega to make what you want is always going to end up in heartache )

I myself see what they come up with and pick the ones I like.

Tintin didn’t like it
    Snoopy didn’t like it
    Speedy Tuesday 1 liked it bought it
    Speedy 60th didn’t like it
    Speedy Tuesday 2 liked it bought it
    50th gold and buzz butt didn’t like them

Saturn V likes this.
  14. Len Nov 3, 2019

I think we are referring to the rotating bezel used on the Alaska project and worn in the 60s by astronaut Al Worden, not just a push on fixed bezel. [​IMG]

Dsloan, SpeedyPhill and Eve like this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 21, 2019

The Timeless Watch Channel came in on YouTube from nowhere and had 3000 subscribers in a fortnight... and counting...
    IMHO this guy is 100% right about the 2019 year for Omega... Hopefully Omega has better plans for the 50th Apollo 13 tribute SS Speedmaster...
    Hopefully they draw inspiration from the mission logo dial of the Apollo-Soyuz 145.0022 Speedmaster issued on the Italian market in 1976 !

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 4, 2019

A better title might have been:
    2019 half-a-century Apollo 11, missed chance for spaceflight fans ?

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 9, 2019

No sweat... two more chances to go... 2020 Apollo 13 ... and 2025 Apollo-Soyuz
    :coffee: