Forums Latest Members

2018 Seamaster - Date changes at 1:10am

1. Undefeatable Sep 2, 2019

Hey all,

I just realized my 2018 Seamaster changes dates at 1:10am. I am sure I can send it back under warranty to have it fixed but it doesn't really bother me. I was just wondering if anyone else's has a date change this drastically away form 12am?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2019

What movement is in this watch? For movements that have a semi-instantaneous date mechanism, Omega’s tolerance for the date change is typically +/- 10 minutes from midnight. So if your date change starts a little before midnight, the date moves maybe 1/3 of the way, and then completes the change quickly, that is the semi-instantaneous type, and the watch is within tolerance.

In my personal view this is a very generous tolerance, and it very easy to get it much closer than this...

Edit...thought it was 12:10 (multitasking here watching the US Open) but yes 1:10 is way out of tolerance!

WatchShopping and Taybharr like this.
  3. Undefeatable Sep 2, 2019

Its the new 2018 wave dial Seamaster with the 8800 movement.

4. vienna Sep 3, 2019

Dear Archer, isn‘t is possible to turn the hands to the the point the date clicks to the new position, then remove the hands and put them on again in the right position at 12:00?

Kind regards Max

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 3, 2019

Yes of course - that's how hands are set on in the first place. But since this is under warranty I suspect, it would be best to send this back under warranty for repair. When these are made the hands are likely installed by a machine, so something in that process didn't go right at the factory...you can see that step here at around 35 seconds in...

vienna and KeithS like this.
  6. Undefeatable Sep 3, 2019

Thank you Archer! I will most likely leave it and just have it serviced if something else goes wrong or routine service time.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 3, 2019

Yes - won't hurt anything to leave it as is for now.

8. borre Sep 3, 2019

FYI Mine changes between 45 and 90 seconds before midnight.