Forums Latest Members

2017 Tag Heuer AutAvia, Thoughts?

1. semper_shells Feb 10, 2017

So I've been in contact with my local TAG AD regarding the upcoming release of the Autavia. I very excited for this release. Any thoughts?

Edited Feb 15, 2017
  2. watchthirst Feb 10, 2017

I too have been super excited for this release :), and while I do believe that this will be a hot watch amongst consumers, I'm not convinced it will be limitedly available on the open market (new & preowned). In fact my feel is that we may see a ton of preowned autavias pop up shortly after its release. With that being said, this is a watch I'm patiently waiting to acquire at the right price on the open preowned market.

Then again, I may end up kicking myself in the ass and be dead wrong with a load of regret. I only ask that you don't add salt to the wound and rub this post in my face if I am.;)

3. lwong Feb 11, 2017

Panda?!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Awesome!!

4. duc Feb 11, 2017

If you study the Autavia Cup, and the process of how the ultimate watch came to be selected, it's disappointing (at least to me). They had multiple on line votes and in the end identified a version (as the winner) that was stunning.

For the release, they decided to make it larger and add a date wheel. In doing so, the proportions of the bezel to the case size got changed, and the height of the watch was radically increased.

It's going to be in the neighborhood of 5k for one. In my opinion, they should have stuck to the "winning design" precisely, as they led the public to believe they would be doing. Given that I did not get on the first list for a Speedy Tuesday, the winning Autavia would have been a hell of a consolation prize (if I could have lined one of those up). I won't be pursuing the final version (which is a nice piece, just not what was advertised).

Put me in the upset at the outcome column.

benc1855, bristnj, imagwai and 3 others like this.
  5. Jking something intelligent and witty... Feb 11, 2017

Personally I like it. Of course I'd need to try it on to see how thick the case is...if it's too thick then it would be a no go for me (same issue I have with the new 8500 PO). However for 5k my next purchase is likely to be a Speedmaster or a Rolex Explorer 1. This would be something for me to keep an eye out for preowned later down the road.

6. duc Feb 11, 2017

7. semper_shells Feb 11, 2017

Yes. I was fortunate enough to get a Speedy tuesday pre-order and am torn between this and an Explorer I for my next big purchase.

8. Scepticalist Feb 11, 2017

I was going to buy this sight-unseen when they announced the winner. Having seen the pictures of the protoype and CGI images of the final design I'm reserving judgement until I see one in the flesh - it might work but they definitely made some poor design choices in my view.

As above, I'm very happy I decided to buy the Speedy Tuesday even though i was saving up for this one.

semper_shells likes this.
  9. jaspert Feb 12, 2017

I was very excited about the Autavia cup winning choice last year , almost a sure buy in my head for 2017 but when the bloated prototype photos started to appear on the net with that wide bezel and the date window, my enthusiasm just waned.

But that Jack Heuer limited has now got my interest.

10. Scepticalist Feb 12, 2017

I will say, the panda version looks better - the colours offset the bezel proportions more.

11. Riviera Paradise Feb 12, 2017

@semper_shells thanks for posting. I think what has generated new interest from many here is the Jack Heuer Panda LE, which does indeed look much better proportioned than the "standard" Autavia release, and is now on my radar too (together with the Monza 2016) as a possible purchase for my first motorsport chronograph.

As a current 214270 Mk2 Explorer 1 and future #ST owner, I would say that from a rational perspective the Explorer 1 might be the "right" cerebral choice: a versatile and elegant GADA watch which would complement your #ST.

But...your heart might be pulled in the direction of the Heuer LE Panda.

For the Heuer I agree with others that a live wrist check would still be important as apparently it will be quite thick and I am not sure how comfortable that new SS bracelet is going to be. It still seems to be an excellent value proposition for a motorsport chronograph LE with a column wheel / vertical clutch calibre (not sure if it COSC certified).

Concluding my ramble...you might want to get the Heuer now, taking into account the LE restricted availability, leaving the Explorer 1 as your next purchase down the road:)

semper_shells and jaspert like this.
  12. brunik Feb 12, 2017

It's the only watch having not being released yet that I'm sure that I will buy it... probably 2... both combinations!

13. Riviera Paradise Feb 12, 2017

Calibre 11 has a good first look review here:
    https://www.calibre11.com/first-look-2017-tag-heuer-autavia-heuer-02-chronograph/

I have to say that it does look quite cool with the grains of rice SS bracelet, and the Jack Heuer LE font on the bezel and panda dial will thin out the ceramic bezel look and it will certainly be an option for me with its predicted launch date for Nov 2017. The good thing is that we can try out the "standard version" Autavia for wrist comfort etc. before Nov and making any upfront deposit commitment for the LE.

I do think that Biver is making a play for the Speedy Pro chronograph market space with this and some of their future Calibre 02 based chronographs.

Interesting how they only used "Heuer" branding (even for the CAL 02 reference) completely leaving out "TAG" branding both on the front and back. Some photos below from the Calibre 11 article:
    TAG-Heuer-CBE2110.jpg Heuer-Autavia-caseback.jpg

semper_shells and jaspert like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 12, 2017

Re no Tag branding. Not interesting so much as more correct. Tag just slapped their name on the watches when they purchased Heuer in 1985, and they no longer have anything to do with the watches anymore.

Did you know Tag also made an F1 engine? Well not really it was a Porsche motor that they slapped their name on it before they purchased Heuer in the 85. Tag then sold almost 100% of ownership of the watch brand to LVMH in 1999. You can argue there is no real reason to have Tag on the watches at all anymore.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  15. duc Feb 12, 2017

Looking at that without comparing to the one that won the competition, it looks pretty nice. I may have to revise my initial comments....

16. E-diddy Feb 12, 2017

I wasn't aware of the of the Jack Heuer LE. Thanks for sharing.
    Overall I'm happy with the strategy of this re-edition. I'm a big fan of the early Autavias. Tag is showing they are aware of customers' preferences for the style of their early pieces (which are elusive). This particular reference doesn't fit my style though. It's too chunky and big (case and bezel) for my smaller wrist. For a bigger wrist, I'll look very sporty. :thumbsup:

17. Riviera Paradise Feb 12, 2017

Good observations...I was aware of the Tag Heuer branding history. My "interesting" comment was that in the other heritage reissues they have "Heuer" on the dial and Tag Heuer on the caseback. I was wrong on the movement though...you can see TAG-Heuer lurking in the movement photo posted above:rolleyes:

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. mrchan Feb 12, 2017

15.6mm thick. Hell. No.

19. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 12, 2017

image.jpeg Waterproof?

20. semper_shells Feb 12, 2017

Well said. The Autavia is really one of my favorite lines and with the vintage ones getting harder to find this is perfect. With me getting the ST the Jack Heuer LE is probably a better option. Now the HEUER CARRERA 2447NST FOR VOLVO is a grail for me, seeing as I don't think I will ever own one this is a happy medium.
    (not my photo) http://www.bazamu.com/heuer-carrera-2447nst-volvo/
    IMG_0647.JPG

jsaen and Riviera Paradise like this.