Forums Latest Members

2005 Seamaster complimentary service

1. SeaMSTR Oct 14, 2020

Morning all,

I have a 2005 Seamaster 22525000, which i have owned since new.

In 2015 I had the watch serviced at an Omega Boutique in central London. I encountered a number of issues, and the watch was returned twice before I was happy (dust under the crystal, and a faulty replacement clasp).

After a bit of complaining, I was provided with a voucher for a complimentary next full service, a brand new clasp (unfitted and still in the packaging), a new box and card holder, and a cleaning kit. Not a bad result.

The watch is worn daily, and is keeping good time. I believe I’m about due another service, however I note the website states 5-8 years now?

I was just wondering whether it’s worth cashing in my voucher, or holding out? There doesn’t seem to be an expiry date on the paperwork, but I’d hate for them not to honour it because I have left it over 5 years for a service.

I phoned the boutique up, and the member of staff suggested I pay for a minor service (replace gaskets) and keep the voucher until I really need a full service...

Any input most welcome.
    Cheers, Paul.

2. alam Oct 14, 2020

I’m in the if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it camp.

3. Charlemagne1333 Oct 14, 2020

Makes no sense to pay for gasket replacements if you’re being offered a free service - sounds like the OB’s trying to claw some money back.

If you were to run the watch until it stops, having intoduced a more extensive and costlier service, then come along with your voucher, the OB could hesitate on grounds of unreasonable expectation

If there are no conditions, or expiration date attached to the voucher, then as @alam says, you could hold off for longer, but that would be for you to decide. As it stands, you effectively have a watch with a 10 year service interval, and a warranty on the service

Thrasher36 likes this.
  4. Aaron713 Oct 14, 2020

Buy a DIFFERENT used Omega and use the voucher to ensure that one is up to snuff.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  5. SeaMSTR Oct 14, 2020

I like your thinking, however the voucher has the model and serial number listed, specifying the service is for that particular watch.

6. Bugbait Oct 14, 2020

The service cost is fixed with Omega. So they will replace as much as needed that is covered under the service schedule. Unless you wear it around a lot of water, use it until it stops, something breaks or fails to keep accurate time. That's what I would do anyway.

7. Lovemy8541 Oct 14, 2020

Just sent in an older Seamaster 120m for service. The cost of servicing didn't include replacing certain parts, which took the cost of a full service much higher. There is sentimental value for me, so I'm going to pay, but not happy about the price of it.

8. SeaMSTR Oct 14, 2020

When I had my last service, I had to pay for a new clasp, on top of the basic service cost.
    Either way, I’m not complaining about having a free service next time. I think it’s ‘worth’ about £450 now?

9. greyfox422 Oct 16, 2020

Did you send it to Omega?

10. greyfox422 Oct 16, 2020

The problem is waiting to repair can be costly. Timely preventative maintenance can avoid very costly repairs later on.