Forums Latest Members

2004 Omega Seamaster - Battery Leaked - Help

1. dlee1964 Dec 31, 2013

My watch recently stopped and I have found that the battery leaked. The acid corroded the thin plastic film that the battery sits on top of. Question - is this plastic piece necessary for the watch to work or is it there to protect the case from a leaking battery? If just for protection I can just replace the battery every 2 years to avoid future issues, right?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2013

The thin plastic disk is an insulator, and yes it needs to be there for the watch to work properly. Although you can replace it, if the fluid that came from the battery has eaten through that disk, it's very possible it has done other damage - often this requires replacing the circuit at least and possibly the entire movement if it's really bad.

Ideally the watch should be looked at by someone who has the equipment to test the movement to determine what condition it's in.

With any quartz watch, the cell should be replaced as soon as you see the End Of Life (EOL) indicator kick in - this is usually the seconds hand ticking once every 4 seconds or something similar. Always remove a dead cell from the watch, as they tend to leak more when dead....

Cheers, Al

dlee1964 likes this.