Forums Latest Members

20 years parts guarantee and service

1. PatrickJ Dec 25, 2015

Omega states on their website what is in my title. I have seen similar threads from other members before. However, I am sure this is possible with the speedy manual wind hesilite crystal and the bond seamaster from 1993 till 2012. I think it is because they have a longevity in production and parts. So 18 years from now Omega should still have a bezel for a 1994 James Bond bezel in stock. However, can the same can be said for limited or short production special models. For example, that new white faced snoopy dial speedy with the writing in the bubble? I would be very interested in everyone's experience and opinions, especially from watchmakers and authorised service Omega watchmakers.

2. devnull Dec 25, 2015

Since the swatch group decided to stop selling spare parts to independent repair shops earlier this year the chances of parts surviving beyond the watch support life cycle are iffy at best.

PatrickJ likes this.
  3. PatrickJ Dec 25, 2015

But Omega boutique or an Omega authorised service centre should do it? The limited edition models concern me, like orange bezel on PO 2500.

4. devnull Dec 25, 2015

Sure. But while they assure you that they will service your watch, there is 0 assurance that it will be serviced with the correct parts, as in the original components and not some other Omega branded replacement part they deem ok.

Even inside of the 20 year window, the fact that the Swatch group is no longer selling to independent shops (who do have a habit of stocking inventory) does not bode well.

PatrickJ likes this.
  5. PatrickJ Dec 25, 2015

smp710.jpg _DSC0559.jpg
  6. devnull Dec 25, 2015

And because the swatch group was selling them to independent shops there are a lot more in the wild that willbe available for many years after they stop making/stocking them.

This is the thing; Omega doesn't share the same sensitivities as watch collectors, there is no assurance that 10 years down the line your watch will get the correct parts from them.

PatrickJ likes this.
  7. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 26, 2015

I think it's important to remember that watch manufacturers are in the business of manufacturing and selling watches.

That is priority 1, fixing them seems to be an afterthought, they would much prefer if you bought a new one.

Rob

PatrickJ likes this.
  8. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

I understand, but they costa lot now an omega 10 years ago was half the price it is today. That's why I stick with bread and butter models.

9. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

I wonder what AL has to say or any other authorised Omega service people. I think the 20years and beyond refers to they will find a part to fix but it may not be an original part for that model. Example, orange bezel on Planet Ocean 2500, they may in 15 years replace it with another bezel but I doubt they will have enough orange ones left. Or the pre bond seamaster in the picture, do they have that bezel left and what else could be put on it?

10. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 26, 2015

Agree that would be interesting to know.

What I would really like to know is this; Rolex for example makes just under 1,000,000 watches per year.

How many do they service? and what is the ratio of made vs serviced watchse for the major manufacturers?

Certainly it's going to increase, but I wonder what the goal is, and what the value and profit margin is say compared to manufacturing.

Rob

PatrickJ likes this.
  11. devnull Dec 26, 2015

I solve all these musings by sticking to watches that are over 40 years old. That kind of money is best spent on something that has withstood the test of time, so to speak ;)

PatrickJ likes this.
  12. omega1129 Dec 26, 2015

Rolex has the fastest service probably because turnover is hugh...

PatrickJ likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2015

First since this keeps being repeated, I'll keep clarifying it...

Swatch has not cut off any independent repair shops with the new policy. They have cut off 3rd party resellers of parts, so the only people who can't get parts are those who never bought them directly from Swatch in the first place.

If a watchmaker wants to become an approved shop there is a path to do so, so parts are still available to those who have gone through or will go through that process.

On the subject of the 20 year rule, yes Swatch states that as of the date of the last sale of the model from the factory, they guarantee that parts will be available for that model for a minimum of 20 years. They also state that if for some reason it is not possible to adhere to this guarantee, they will propose alternative offers that are fair to the customer - not sure what this means but my guess would be it will depend on the specifics of the situation.

Having said all that, Swatch states that they will stock parts for movements and other parts of the watch as long as possible, so beyond the 20 year time frame. It's clear that they already do this since I can still buy parts from them for movements that have not been made in 60 years or more. But the older the movement, the less likely all parts will be available for it. So just to give some examples the old 30 mm manual wind movements don't have all parts available, but as you move forward to say the 330 series autos there are a few more, but still not many. The 500 series autos have a few more parts available, and it's only at the 55X, 56X, and 75X series where pretty much all movement parts are in stock and available to purchase.

Case parts tend to run out sooner than movement parts do in my experience, and case parts is where Swatch indicates that in order to supply parts for repairs beyond the 20 year time frame, they will substitute parts that are technically functional, but might not be truly original to the watch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

watchme and PatrickJ like this.
  14. PatrickJ Dec 26, 2015

Thank you Al for clarification.

15. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Dec 27, 2015

On thing I've always wondered about parts is how many go into replacement inventory that were initially slated to go into production watches, but production on that particular watch ceased so the parts just went into backup stock. I read about these Watchco pieces being built out of leftover original parts, and wonder how many of these parts are there. And in cases where they have made a lot of "NOS" watches, why are there so many? Did Omega just pull the plug on building watches that weren't selling well enough years ago, and the parts were therefore available? And is this typical practice for all the manufacturers?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 27, 2015

Don't fall for Watchco's BS marketing. All the parts are still being made to this day, so these are not NOS or "leftover parts." There is nothing old about most of their stock, and these are just new replacement parts intended to be used for service that have been diverted to making new watches.

Cheers, Al

PatrickJ likes this.
  17. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

Forgive me but what is "NOS"

18. Slipstreamer Dec 27, 2015

"New Old Stock". Old watches that were never sold and being sold a "new".

PatrickJ likes this.
  19. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

Do they still have warranty and from AD?

20. Slipstreamer Dec 27, 2015

Mostly yes. As far as I know, even if they have been discontinued Omega will honor up to a certain extent (5 years old or less--not really sure of their cut-off). Obviously watches in their inventory for 20 years (although unlikely), might no longer be covered. Check with your AD or boutique to be sure.