2 Watches - the same yet so different. Modern Content

The two most important modern non-speedmaster omega watches.

The watch that introduced the new co-axial family of movements:

53171927383_652f86c38f_b.jpg

And the watch that introduced the new PO design language:

53566492879_89850287fe_b.jpg

Couldn’t have said it better, these two watches really were the genesis of modern Omega. From finishing quality, to use of ceramic materials, to the movement in the Hour Vision, they changed everything.

Incidentally both the sapphire case tech on the Hour Vision and use of ceramics combined with metals on the POLM LE came from Swatch Group’s Comadur SA (https://www.comadur.ch/?lang=en) which also supply several other high end sister brands and do some extremely cool work.

The watch that introduced the new co-axial family of movements:

What's the reference number for this watch? I like it. It seems like the modern DeVilles are underappreciated.

POLMLE vs the standard 2500 black bezel PO in 42mm.

Ok the POLMLE does set the future design language with ceramic and modern materials but the OG defined the integration of historical design cues into a fully modern design in a way that no other watch has.

If you have an hour vision, just be careful with it. Dropping it could get quite expensive.

Currently $2,500 US for that sapphire case middle....

Currently $2,500 US for that sapphire case middle...

Yikes, that is a lot. Sapphire is quite hard, but brittle compared to steel.

I'm not recomending going aftermarket in any way shape or form, but there are aftermarket sapphire mid cases available for the HV for less than $150. I've not tried one and fingers crossed I never have to!

I'm not recomending going aftermarket in any way shape or form, but there are aftermarket sapphire mid cases available for the HV for less than $150. I've not tried one and fingers crossed I never have to!

Are they actually sapphire? $150 seems very inexpensive for such a complex shape machined out of sapphire...

Are they actually sapphire? $150 seems very inexpensive for such a complex shape machined out of sapphire...
Agreed and it is difficult to be certain of course. They are clearly advertised as sapphire material with the correct DV PIC so it seems so at first glance. I can't swear to it of course not having handled one. Were I in the unlucky situation of having a damaged DV, I'd perhaps try one first based on the huge difference in cost. That said, if it didnt work perfectly out of the box, I don't think you'd easily be able to alter or customise it like would be possible with a steel item so it would be a risk.
Edited:

I’d add one more watch to the list: the Globemaster. It was the first METAS certified Master Chronometer, I believe.
upload_2024-3-4_10-6-4.jpeg

I’d add one more watch to the list: the Globemaster. It was the first METAS certified Master Chronometer, I believe.

Agree. When this first came out wasn't too keen on it. But in hand it's a very nice watch and a great daily wearer.

53324547097_899fb46d9c_b.jpg

Agree. When this first came out wasn't too keen on it. But in hand it's a very nice watch and a great daily wearer.

53324547097_899fb46d9c_b.jpg
Agreed. For some reason it just doesn’t photograph very well, but it’s quite attractive in the flesh and it has some unique features like that tungsten carbide fluted bezel. You could fire missiles at that thing and never scratch it.

I’d just also mention, the second generation Hour Vision did away with the sapphire case design. While this is just my assumption, it doesn’t make sense that Omega would make the second generation watch intentionally worse if it weren’t necessary, and I really think cost saving was that reason. This watch when new was really a halo product for the brand, and I get the impression they probably made little if anything on the Hour Vision, given how complicated the watch is.

Given the current market price on eBay is typically under $3,000, and occasionally under $2,000 for strap versions, these are some remarkably cool pieces for the money, although as @Archer mentions, don’t drop them or you’ve done the entire value of the watch.

...which was preceded by this watch, which first introduced the technology that made METAS certification possible.

IMG_1654.jpg

I’d just also mention, the second generation Hour Vision did away with the sapphire case design. While this is just my assumption, it doesn’t make sense that Omega would make the second generation watch intentionally worse if it weren’t necessary, and I really think cost saving was that reason. This watch when new was really a halo product for the brand, and I get the impression they probably made little if anything on the Hour Vision, given how complicated the watch is.

Given the current market price on eBay is typically under $3,000, and occasionally under $2,000 for strap versions, these are some remarkably cool pieces for the money, although as @Archer mentions, don’t drop them or you’ve done the entire value of the watch.
Not quite correct. Omega simply renamed the previous generation steel or gold cased De Ville Co-axial as an “Hour Vision” when they upgraded the movements to METAS calibres. Omega discontinued all the actual Hour Vision crystal and steel case watches apart from the blue dial time and date and annual calendar which got METAS movements but lost the Art Deco font for the date/month wheel.

Love that PO LMLE! Unfortunately, we just didn't get along...

I'd been eyeing the Globemaster but I ended up landing a Seamaster Cities edition NYC Boutique version and couldn't be happier. (I changed the strap).

1000033878.jpg