Forums Latest Members
  1. dyims May 22, 2014

Hello Folks,

I am new to this forum. I have recently purchased two omega vintage watches, and I want to get some help from you folks. I want to know if my watches are authentic, or if it is a franken watch etc.

First is an Omega Seamaster year 1963 Cal. 552
    The link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...TfgetnpVPlFCZFWvyn8z4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It is in German, but you can use Google to translate the description.

Second is also an Omega Seamaster De Ville year 1963 Cal. 563
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181404535082?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I know I should have posted this before I make a purchase, but I didnt know about this forum until now.

2. marturx May 22, 2014

No 1; redialed franken, case 166 not correct for cal 552
    No 2; equally overpolished as overpriced

You live, you learn! I´m sure you´ll do better next time! :)

dyims likes this.
  3. dyims May 22, 2014

First one: You said this is a franken watch. Aside from what you've said, what other parts are not original?

Second one: Seller stated that the dial is original? He/She lied? Is this also a franken watch?How so?

On a side note: No offense,
    but this forum has an extremely weird and complicated BBS

4. Georgieboy58 May 22, 2014

No offense, but what is weird and complicated?
    I experience it as the best and simplest I have ever seen.

5. ulackfocus May 22, 2014

Usually, that means the forum is 'different' than the one they usually hang on.

6. dyims May 22, 2014

I was not able to edit my post on my iphone... Anyways, can you gentlemen give me some feedback on the two watches I have provided?

7. Georgieboy58 May 22, 2014

It is different in the sense that it is light years ahead of all others I know.
    I don't know how I could live in the past without the feature that positions you on the first entry that is new to you in a thread you have visited before.
    The entry at the end of the thread where you can just start typing...
    The visual layout...

Edit: I have never used it on the iPhone though

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2014

Already been said, avoid both watches.

9. dyims May 22, 2014

Are these not 'authentic' then?

10. marturx May 22, 2014

BTW, welcome to the forum, didn't read your post thoroughly enough to realise that you were a newcomer!

11. dyims May 22, 2014

Yes, I am a newcomer to this forum and a newcomer to vintage watches also. Now, I need more insight on the whole franken watch/ authentic watch issue. I understand that franken watches are a turn off for some folks, but it is still a legit Omega watch?0

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2014

Yes, they are authentic, but not good examples and very overpriced.

13. dyims May 22, 2014

How much should these actually go for instead?

14. marturx May 22, 2014

Stay away from polished watches. Learn to tell the difference between factory original finish and those that have been worked. When the case have been polished, what else has been altered from original condition? Often are those watches that have been worked, also overpriced. A classical newbie mistake to choose them.

Go fo original, unworked, watches in excellent condition. They will never loose in interest

Mothra, Spacefruit and Tritium like this.
  15. dyims May 22, 2014

So, altered/polished watches or AKA franken watches actually cost more than an original?

16. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! May 22, 2014

No, you just happen to pay way more than what they are actually worth...

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. John R Smith May 22, 2014

Sadly, you will find out when you try to sell them again. You are not alone, we have all been down this road and have made just the same mistakes. The next time you are thinking of buying a watch, bring it here and ask us for advice. It will almost always be generous and forthcoming, and could save a lot of heartache down the line . . .:thumbsup:

18. dyims May 22, 2014

Im surprised that there's so many franken watches in circulation. Well, atleast it is still an authentic watch afterall, just not original

I know... I made a big mistake by purchasing the watches before I even discovered this forum exists.