Forums Latest Members

2 extreme emotions at the same time... my faded crimson bezel

1. tictictictoc Oct 6, 2014

I am experience happiness and sadness at the same time...

I reached my watchmakers shop itching and excited to get my hands on this watch... Unfortunately, to my horror when I laid my eyes on it, I was angered. Let me back up. I grabbed this watch form the original owner at a great price. So, I walked over to my watchmaker who was out on medical leave. I left it with specific (usual instructions for a vintage watch) ... no polishing (excepting crystal) no refinishing and specifically NO RELUME as the hour hand lume was cracked due to the seconds had stuck between the it and the dial.

3 weeks later the guy is back for medical leave and the doc has asked him to slow down and not take on a lot of work but he gets my watch done and is excited to show me the work. And that's when he pulls it out. Of-course taking into account his health and stuff, I bite my lips and don't go off on him but I made it clear that this was not what I had asked for. He said the lume broke off while taking the hands out and so he tried to match the lume so it doesn't look off.

The watch runs and feels great but I can't get over the lume... please chime in and tell me if I am over reacting?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2014

No image visible.

3. tictictictoc Oct 6, 2014

4. speedbird Oct 6, 2014

He probably should have consulted with you first before taking action but these are the risks we take in vintage watches sadly

citizenrich likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2014

Well you can't get the old back, but it can be redone to match much better

citizenrich and pitpro like this.
  6. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 6, 2014

+1
    Look at it this way.
    Now the hands are filled and get them
    "aged" and you are better off than you were

citizenrich likes this.
  7. tictictictoc Oct 6, 2014

Speedbird, I strongly agree with you but like cicindela and pitpro say I can get it redone better.

Here are the rest of the images. I still really like wearing it ;)

Wittnauer_01.jpg Wittnauer_02.jpg Wittnauer_03.jpg Wittnauer_04.jpg Wittnauer_05.jpg Wittnauer_06.jpg
    citizenrich likes this.
  8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 6, 2014

I collect Venus 188's and have multiple variations of your same watch.

Unfortunately: dried up, almost dust-like lume plots and fill-ins are a common theme with this reference and her variants. I'm sure your watchmaker feels as badly as you do but sh*t happens. I'm sure 5 other things equally disappointing events happened to you the same week. That's life, and they even wrote a song about it. Don't be a victim.

this sort of crap comes with our hobby. We try as hard as we can to be good caretakers and custodians of these little darling baubles and that's really it...

/end rant

*edit - that's a replacement crown or the original was polished silly... I'd be more concerned about that.

9. yande Oct 7, 2014

I'll remember that. Nicely stated.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2014

Coffee or tea will give a nice 'aged' color to lume. ;)

citizenrich likes this.
  11. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 7, 2014

Not wet though , right?

citizenrich likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2014

I think you can add wet tea instead of water to the mix to achieve the aged look. Gotta ask a watchmaker who does this to be sure though.

citizenrich likes this.
  13. Waynepjr Oct 7, 2014

Have to agree with the fellows here on this also. It is what it is at this point, you can get it redone, leave it or hire a hitman.
    Think if you have been at this long enough it has happened to everyone in some way or another. My PERSONAL feelings on lume is this, it's like hair and sooner or later it is going to change color and/or fall out. If it falls out, I never replace it as you have to be or know someone very good at lume aging to get it right or you get :confused: . I knew such a gent but he retired. I have not gone down that path since.
    I would be much more concerned about said crown then I would ever be about lume. Lume is like my first two marriages, was never made to last and not an area to spend too much concern with. IMHO.

Wayne

yande and pitpro like this.
  14. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2014

I have a head full of lume! :p

Waynepjr likes this.
  15. tictictictoc Oct 8, 2014

Nicely put citizenrich!
    &
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 8, 2014

You used to have a head full of lume.