Forums Latest Members

2.4 mil serial 5513 Sub opinions wanted...

1. watchthirst Dec 28, 2016

Hey everyone, hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

I finally found my bergeron No. 5 case back opener to open my 5513 that I had bought earlier this year from my father. He had originally purchased this from the original owner in the 80's.

With all the fake Rolex dials, inserts, cases, etc, floating around I just wanted our community's opinion on my example. I know there are a handful of you Rolex experts on here that could spot something wrong or special about a Rolex faster than a speeding bullet. Your help and second opinions are valued and very much appreciated. I just want to rest easy about this baby as I value it most along with my pre moon speedy in my collection. I've never actually looked for any second opinions on this watch and a buddy of mine just got burned on a franken 1675 that I myself would have bet a fortune on that it was all legit. This made me realize that clearly my opinion on Rolex is not as professional as I thought :(.

Here is what I do know.....

I know the insert is a service insert, the case and case back look on point, the crystal original, and the movement looks good.

What I don't know is how to check if the dial is all original as I've seen some pretty good fakes that scare the heck out of me. Also would it be worth seeking an original fat font non service insert? If so what would be the appropriate insert for this 5513, and what's the potential financial damage there?

The 2.4 mil serial confuses me as various sources date it from 1969-1971, which one is it ?:confused:

I've purchased expensive books on subs, searched for informative resources on the web and I can't find anything definitive to answer all these questions.

I'm hoping some of you would be kind enough to share your opinions on this 5513 to help me get to the bottom of the questions I have yet to find answers for.

As always, thank you OF for all your insights, and opinions, good or bad. :thumbsup:

IMG_6999.jpg IMG_7001.jpg IMG_6987.jpg IMG_6980.jpg IMG_6981.jpg IMG_6982.jpg IMG_6983.jpg IMG_6984.jpg IMG_6986.jpg
  2. ATWG Dec 28, 2016

Have you looked at matte5513.com? There is a wealth of information on the site with the various dials.

3. watchthirst Dec 28, 2016

I sure have, awesome info and well written, but didn't help me much with regards to this particular 5513.

4. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 28, 2016

As ATWG mentioned, the Matte5513.com site is a wealth of information.
    Your dial is a proper non-serif dial which happens to overlap with the serif dial around the 2.4 range.
    Do not worry yourself with production years. 1969-70 is fine.
    I think you have done your homework well! Nothing wrong with your dial!
    Quite a gem you have there - Congrats!

5. watchthirst Dec 28, 2016

Awesome, thank you. Your comments definitely eased any paranoia still lingering.

Any idea as to what the proper insert would be for this 5513?

6. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 28, 2016

My take on inserts is that you can go earlier fonts than "accepted period correct" fonts. You could get a nice Mk-3 or go earlier, Mk-2.
    Don't rush on buying these or you may pay over top price.. Patience with these acquisitions..
    Cheers!

watchthirst likes this.
  7. watchthirst Dec 28, 2016

Off to the WTB thread I go....:thumbsup:

8. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 28, 2016

Good luck! I just traded a perfect Mk-3... Just be patient!

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 28, 2016

Looks pretty sweet, I would love to see some pics of the lugs and case bevels...looks like the bevels are still present. Also, if you can take pics in the sunlight, that will help a ton.

As far as an insert, your will be able to find a nice period correct one, just take your time. Personally, I think that a newer service bezel would really clean it up for the time being.

Dial and hands look great...congrats on a nice 5513. My 2.9m says hello IMG_20161228_150901_020.jpg

Tubber and Baz9614 like this.
  10. omitohud Dec 29, 2016

1st of all happy holidays to u. I'm afraid I don't bring good news. 2.4 mil is too late for 68 case back. If it's 68 as the case back, then it should b meter first dial. Also in the first pic, the lume seems to b gone but could b the lighting. The case is polished which can b recut if u r willing to pay a substantial money. The hands r later replacement. The insert could b aftermarket even given the unnatural fading n abuse. If it's 68, then it should b long 5 or kissing 4 which r some of the most expensive inserts around.

Since u got it from your father, maybe u should just wear it n forget all these vintage collecting OCD. [emoji23]

I blame it on the autoconnect.

11. watchthirst Dec 29, 2016

I've seen some 68 case backs on 2.4 serials without a meters first dial. How certain are you of this info? I think I should probably post a better photo of the watch to show true condition of dial case and hands. I can see why the photos would lead you to believe the hands are a later replacement, but I'm almost certain they were never swapped. Oh and a long 5 or kissing 4 would be freaking awesome, but as many memebers have said, "patience".

Look at me getting all salty and defensive over my watches. ::screwloose::

TTG likes this.
  12. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 29, 2016

LOL... It's not getting defensive, it is correcting misstatements. There is overlap, thus the transition from meters to feet first.. Your case looks beefy and based on your pictures, looks exceptional... I would not touch that case (recut) ! If you took a couple of pictures of the sides, I am sure others would agree..
    Looks like someone got a coal for Xmas or been drinking while posting...

watchthirst, terryb111 and jud like this.
  13. omitohud Dec 29, 2016

There is nothing wrong with defending ur watch.

To be honest, no one can be 100% certain but only Rolex themselves. I wouldn't mind being wrong. But 68 would be too early for non serif dial IMO. Even John of 5513mattedial stated the non serif started showing in late 69. Also 2.4 serial usually corresponds to 70 case. Is it possible a 2.4 serial made in 68? Maybe but personally I would question it. So a nonserif dial in a 2.4 serial case with 68 case back would raise red flags in my book. But of course you can ignore my comment but since you ask on a public forum I was compelled to contribute.

I'm not an expert like some who appeared or claimed to be, just a fellow collector who like to share knowledge about the passion we all share.

I blame it on the autoconnect.

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 29, 2016

The worst thing about the watch is the pics!

We can all argue about case backs, but in the end, it appears to be a really nice 5513 with a correct dial for the 2.4m serial range. The insert will get replaced, and you will have a killer watch on your hands.

My gut tells me that there are nice bevels on that case and it was most likely polished from being worn rather than a jewelers wheel.

As for the case back, correct date or not, it won't ding the value that much, as you can buy a correct case back if you really want to.

I think that is a service dome crystal as there are shoulders and a superdome slopes to the bezel.

watchthirst and TTG like this.
  15. watchthirst Dec 29, 2016

Good point on the crystal, I didn't even notice that detail. It's always rewarding learning on OF from members.

16. watchthirst Dec 29, 2016

I will post more photos when the sun comes out here in NYC.

A fellow member here who happened to see the 1675 franken my pal got burned on recommended I forward photos to you as you were the Rolex buff to trust around here, i just never got around to do so. However I am glad i made this thread about the 5513 for you to stumble upon and take the time out to comment.

17. watchthirst Dec 29, 2016

I ask for both the good and bad comments, opinions, or thoughts. I respect and value everyones opinion here. Thank you for taking the time out to contribute to this thread :)

18. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 29, 2016

I would be interested in seeing the 1675 franken, if some pictures are available. This is a very serious issue, I like to stay updated on these scams to update others...
    Thanks!

19. watchthirst Dec 29, 2016

IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5594.JPG IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5597.JPG IMG_5599.JPG IMG_5600.JPG IMG_5602.JPG
  20. watchthirst Dec 29, 2016

And with the caseback open...

IMG_7043.JPG IMG_7044.JPG IMG_7045.JPG IMG_7046.JPG IMG_7047.JPG IMG_7048.JPG