Forums Latest Members
  1. Dez Oct 6, 2015

Just purchased my first vintage Omega through eBay. The item is not yet in my possession,. Prior to my bidding on it, I did some research to make sure the watch is authentic. At this point, I am still not sure. I ended up paying $251 for it. Here are the pictures, can someone help me determine if its real.

ebay description: Vintage Omega Seamaster Swiss Automatic Date Men's Watch 24J Cal. 562 Working

Omega 1.JPG
    omega 5.JPG
    Omega 2.JPG
    Omega 3.JPG
    Omega 4.JPG
    The back says 14701 - 2 SC

Edited Oct 6, 2015
    nick_scap likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2015

Looks kosher. Even the crown is correct. Can you tell us the caliber (definitively) and serial number? It should have a 591 or 562 and be from somewhere between 1959 and 1962 judging by the font and reference number.

3. Dez Oct 6, 2015

Awesome! There wasn't much of a description in ebay about it but the title, but it did say cal. 562. I'll send more details once I have it in possession. Thank you.

4. PatrickJ Oct 7, 2015

Great watch, the dial is a bit marked but that is a good thing it adds to the authenticity of the watch. I would be very suspicious of a 50+ year old watch with a perfect dial. It is possible to get perfect dials but you need a lot of experience to be sure it is not redialed. Find a watch maker from the forum to service it and check the dial with a loupe. Ask for help hopefully there is one relatively near to you.

5. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 7, 2015

At $250 it looks like you got a pretty good deal (depending on condition). Even with a service of the movement, which probably is a good idea, it seems reasonable. Nice watch!

6. Dez Oct 7, 2015

Great feedbacks. Thank you. I will definitely bring it in for service and add nato straps.

7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 7, 2015

I can highly recommend a leather strap for that watch. I find that nato straps on the smaller seamasters doesn't look right, they look far better on larger and more tool like watches like the Seamaster 300 or Speedmaster. Just my own opinion of course :)

I wear my seamasters on shell cordovan straps bought from Jankoxxx on this forum. highly recommendable and very comfortable

8. Dez Oct 7, 2015

Do you have pics so I can get an idea?

9. nick_scap Oct 13, 2015

Hey, just scrolling the forums but to my amateur eye your watch looks legit. The 14701 case (with awesome lugs) matches mine, (I believe the -2 refers to the stainless steel case, mine is -61 which refers to the gold cap), the SC refers to silvery grey PVD dial, and even your crown is the correct style with the old style logo. The movement seems to be the 562, since it is 24j. Awesome find.

10. Jacquot Oct 13, 2015

Nice watch, get it serviced and wear it. Definitely get a nice leather band for it.

11. Pvt-Public Oct 13, 2015

I thought the -61 referred to 1961 and SC was for seconds centre or something like that meaning the second hand was in the middle not a sub-dial. But have been wrong before, and I am sure will be many times again.

12. nick_scap Oct 14, 2015

You may be right, I just remember stumbling on an old list of Omega Metal codes on Google, and the SC popped up. I don't recall Omega ever putting info about the date of manufacture on the cases, just the case ref., the type of metal and (maybe) the dial type. The serial no. on the movement refers to the date of manufacture. Then its a wild goose chase searching the Omega vintage watch database (if your watch line even shows up in its entirety) to see if the year of manufacture matches up with the year(s) the case was made.