Forums Latest Members

1st time poster, advice sought on vintage seamasters

1. Omegies Apr 9, 2016

Hi All,

Firstly hello! This is my first post here, I have had a look beforehand at some of the post for new joiners, but as I'm new apologies for any mistakes or questions that might already have answers elsewhere.

I'm hoping to purchase a new timepiece and thought this would be the perfect place for some advice. I've taken a particular shine to the 1960s and 1970s omega seamasters. Is there a ballpark figure I can expect to pay for a fully functional one in decent condition?

I'm from the uk and was wondering where would be the best place to purchase from. At the moment eBay seems to have the largest and most competitively priced range but naturally as a novice buyer I'm slightly apprehensive to do this without some expert advice. Is there a good way that beginners like myself can avoid being sold a replica or homage piece?

I also found the site corrvintagewatches - does anyone have experience with this website?

Secondly, I've read a little bit about getting watches serviced. Is this something that needs to be done often? Is it particularly expensive, or is it the case of finding the right place?

Lastly I've found a couple of watches online on ebay which I like the look of and was hoping to ask for some advice on their authenticity, quality and price.

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...id=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=121943419473Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Authentic...6472c36&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=331818534826Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

3) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-O...id=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=391420864165Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank you all in advance of any replies and apologies for so many questions. If any of these have good answers elsewhere, feel free to direct me there.

Do let me know if this post should be elsewhere and I can try to move it.

Many thanks once again

2. lillatroll Apr 9, 2016

Hello
    60s and 70s seamasters covers a huge range of styles and price ranges. The price depends on how in demand a particular model is and the condition. For collectors, originality and condition are important factors. There a re many people who like old watches to look new, which is fine, but quite often they are overpriced in relation to their actual worth.
    You can check watchrecon, chrono 24 and ebay. There is a sales forum here from both private members and dealers. You can PM them if you find something you like. I would start with the private sales here first.Chrono24 is often overpriced if you don t know what you are looking for.
    Personally I would make sure you do your research first, and ask on here when you find something you are interested in. You might find something that looks nice but is in fact a pile of poop.
    Patience is important, it is easy to get carried away and get burned.
    I am not going to comment on the three watches you have linked because I don't know much about them but you can check the reference number on the cases aginst google to find out more.

Hijak likes this.
  3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 9, 2016

Hi,
    Did you see the description of the second one? It's non-working. Have you checked out the for sale section here? You do not need 200 posts to buy and can send personal messages to sellers.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 9, 2016

Hi,

One thing to bear in mind with two of the watches you have linked is that they are from outside of the EU. This means that you will be clobbered for VAT and possibly import duties (that latter one is pot luck) when importing anything over £45.

5. Omegies Apr 9, 2016

thank you for your reply, i will check that out

6. Omegies Apr 9, 2016

Great point re VAT, hadn't thought properly about that one

7. Omegies Apr 9, 2016

thanks very much for the reply. I will definitely be checking out the sales forum. Great idea regarding the reference number, will be trying this