Forums Latest Members

1st Speedmaster, the sapphire sandwich 311.30.42.30.01.006

1. Vaxe Sep 13, 2015

Been lurking the forums for a while and am now fixed on getting my first Omega. It started out as seeing a great deal on a GSotM from Serge over at Rolexforums, then reading more about how my 1st Speedmaster should be the moon watch on steel and acrylic.

I have decided on the 1863 since I enjoy display backs and prefer sapphire.

Now, a few questions, aiming to post unveiling next week!

1) Does the 311.30.42.30.01.006 come with a red dot? I read the practice has been phased out in lieu of microscope verification.

2) Is having the matching pictogram card but no warranty card enough to justify provenance?

3) Have you encountered mechanical issues with the 1861/1863, and if so, how long after purchase?

4) Which would you buy?
    Jomashop $3950, complete but no warranty card
    Jim at Continental $4500, not AD but complete with all and stamped warranty card
    Local AD $5100 ($4700 before tax)

The chrono service price is now level 3 and $600 through Omega. My rationale is if the watch won't be needing service during the 2 year warranty, I would not mind buying from Joma. Though if it does, then it would've been much better buying from Jim or AD.

image.jpg
    Edited Sep 13, 2015
  2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Sep 13, 2015

I bought my Speedy - 2013 3570.50 - recently. I wanted, and got, the hesalite glass and it is an important part of the exceptional 'look' of the Professional. The reference you mention - 311.30.42.30.01.006 - has the sapphire glass. I believe the red dot is applied to all Omega products. Hope you find and enjoy the right Speedy.

3. Dombo63 Sep 13, 2015

Try both on if you can to see which you prefer. I also considered the sapphire sandwich but found it little too heavy. Another factor I considered was how often I would look at the movement, decided not much. The deciding factor was wanting one as close to the classic Moonwatch spec as possible, and getting an exceptional deal on a new one like the pic above.

4. Maximus84 Sep 13, 2015

I bought the 'new' sapphire sandwich about 9 months ago, with the new box etc. It had a red dot. It did have to go back to Omega for warranty work and they performed a service. I believe the blue 'after service' dot is what they discontinued, as mine didn't get one.

FWIW, I handled the hesalite version a lot, and didn't feel much of a weight difference with the sapphire. The display back is great, too. I don't look at it much, but when I do I'm reminded of how lovely it looks, and how complicated it all is.

5. Vaxe Sep 13, 2015

What was the issue requiring service?

6. Maximus84 Sep 13, 2015

Whilst admiring the movement with the loupe after owning for a week or so, I noticed a tiny bit of debris, like a very fine fibre, balanced on the hour recorder yoke (I think that's the correct term). My AD agreed and sent it off to Omega. It was ordered in new and would have taken a couple of weeks even to get a new one - mine was returned to me in 2.5 weeks anyway and I've never looked back! It even returned to me more accurate then when first purchased!

7. Vaxe Sep 13, 2015

Great, I was afraid it was a mechanical issue. I've seen my share of brush fibers inside new watches, so I usually wait till service interval to send in.

Still, I'm trying to figure out which route to take for the purchase.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 14, 2015

Jim @ Continental is a solid option. I had a good experience with him last week.

9. yinzerniner Sep 14, 2015

1). An earlier 311.30.42.30.01.006 that came from Jomashop that I sold this year came with the red dot, but I believe they're just starting to phase it out. So I believe the mid-2015 manufactured Omegas will no longer have this system. Al Archer did a post with more information regarding this change.
    2). If you're just looking for "provenance" in terms of authenticity then a card with serials that match the case and the movement should be enough. Also, once again deferring to Al, he has access to the Omega Extranet where he can verify a watch's model number with its serial number.
    3). Of all the Speedy Pros out there the only times I've heard of mechanical issues from the factory they usually arise immediately after purchase. In other words, if something is wrong with the Speedy Pro due to a manufacturing or delivery error then it will be obvious very soon.
    4.) Of those four options at those prices - I would probably go with Jim or Joma. If you know you'll be holding onto the watch for a long time then the $500 savings goes a long way, as Joma-sourced pieces generally sell for a big discount vs pieces that come with Omega warranty cards. In the off chance that something's immediately wrong with the piece (maybe 1 in 500) then at least you have some sort of recourse with Joma, although I've heard some horror stories about returns and service on defective pieces. I think the best option is one you haven't listed - try to find a trusted private seller who has one with an AD stamped warranty card, that's about a year old or so. The price will be lower than Joma or Jim, and if it's currently running fine then it most likely doesn't have any factory defects. Even if it does, you still have a bit of Omega warranty left over just in case.

Best of luck in your search, the Speedy Pro Sapphire is a very nice piece.

10. skafen Sep 15, 2015

Appreciate this post as I'd like to acquire a sapphire sandwich as well for my first speedmaster. Ultimately I think I'd like to check out the movement from time to time and I'm already planning my 2nd Speedy purchase, this time a 145.022-69.

So I'm in the same boat as OP: what's the best way to acquire this watch? I'm based in NYC and would prefer not to go through the Omega Boutique if I can find an AD that'll do a discount. Interested in continued advice here.

11. yinzerniner Sep 15, 2015

If you're in NYC then contact @Kringkily. Not an AD but a incredibly well respected private collector/seller who has done countless deals to many members on this forum (including myself).
    And in NYC the AD network has been seriously whittled down due to the presence of the boutiques, so I really doubt you'd be able to find that great of a discount on an Omega in this area.
    Also I know another member on this forum who's in the NYC area looking to sell a mint condition 3572.50 (Hesalite Crystal, Sapphire Back) that he purchased directly from Kringkily. You can PM me for the details if interested.

12. skafen Sep 15, 2015

Thanks for the tips. I sent @Kringkily a note and I sent you a PM about your friend's 3572.50. Appreciate it!

13. Vaxe Sep 15, 2015

Thanks for this informative post! I contacted some trusted sellers across a few forums but none have this reference available. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you sell yours for? What didn't you like about it?

I stopped by the AD today to try on. Wasn't immediately "wowed" by the finish and printed dial, but it's definitely a timeless piece.

Although it wore a big bigger at 42 mm, I think this could be a keeper.
    Legibility was excellent compared to the polished registers on my Daytona.
    [​IMG]