Forums Latest Members
  1. south hams massive Feb 15, 2013

Hi guys,

I've just purchased my 1st vintage omega on ebay. I'm always a little dubious when buying from ebay as I like to see things in the flesh before I buy, but felt a little impulsive.

I had the idea that, knowing very little about what would constitute to a good buy or a huge mistake, I would go for a watch that I liked and would be happy wearing and happy paying for. With that in mind, I found a Seamaster Deville (see pictures). I really like the look of the watch and seemed to be in reasonable condition for the price.

I have found out little bits of information by searching for the serial number etc. but it differs to alot of the devilles that I have found from the same time period and I was hoping you could help clear up a few matters.

1) The caseback has no 'seamaster' emblem (I have seen most with, but some without. Not sure of the relevance)

2) There is no day/date on the dial. Almost all others that I have found have this.

3) The serial number from the caseback doesn't seem to correspond to anything I can find online. Am I being a bit thick?

4) I've heard reference of different levels of quality of these pieces. The item description said that this had a steel case with solid gold bezel and gold-capped lugs. Does this sound normal?

As I said, I bought this as it is a watch that I really do like and will wear on a regular basis, so if you have any more information for me, good or bad, it will be welcomed.

Many thanks 233.PNG 234.PNG 235.PNG 236.PNG 237.PNG 238.PNG 239.PNG 240.PNG 241.PNG 243.PNG

2. rick42650 Feb 15, 2013

nice classic watch! looks original and correct...552 movement is a non date...so no problem there...

3. south hams massive Feb 15, 2013

thanks for the info, rick.

4. Jpilks Feb 15, 2013

If this is the one from alex in mexico, he is a very highly regarded seller on this forum so you should be in good hands!

5. Jpilks Feb 15, 2013

It also looks like one of Kstars, who I have also has a lot of communication with and I believe is equally as trustworthy.

6. south hams massive Feb 15, 2013

it was a seller in the US who had some amazing feedback, made me feel a little more at ease.

7. Jpilks Feb 15, 2013

This is the closest I can find for you. Sometimes its easier to just put the first couple of digits into the database and have a good search through the 10-20 results. http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

ents' leather strap

Reference
    BD 165.0020
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 552
    Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Case
    14K solid yellow gold
    Case back
    Unishell (case opening on dial side)
    Dial
    With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold "stick" hands. With "Seamaster" (until 1963) or "Seamaster De Ville" (since 1963) on the dial.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

[​IMG]

8. south hams massive Feb 15, 2013

thanks Jpilks. That's loads of info.

9. Jpilks Feb 15, 2013

No problem.

Its all on the database in the link. For all its faults, its an amazing source of information.

10. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2013

Sometimes there were no Seamaster logos on the back because it might have been meant to be a presentation watch but it never was given so it was never engraved. The crown is a replacement but that's an easy fix. Overall it looks good. :thumbsup: