Forums Latest Members
  1. H4MZA Jun 28, 2016

Hi,
    As you can see I am a bit of a silent member, 1st post today but hopefully not the last. I am in need of some much needed advise and what better place to come then the Omega experts. I live in the UK.

I am a proud owner of a Seamaster 300m chrono diver ( see pics). It was my 1st and only high end watch purchase to date and even though my budget does not allow several high end pieces it i still love browsing and keep an interest which is what brings to me to my dilemma.

I have owned, worn and cherished this beauty for 4 yrs and it still looks and feels like new. Although I have an emotional attachment with it I am keen to get something different. I have seen and tried on the Aqua Terra James Bond spectre edition and its really making me think. I have some apprehensions which I hope some of you can help me with to make my dilemma easier.

1) Since my watch is now discontinued Ive been looking into pre-owned prices and i was surprised it is holding value well. So my 1st query is should I sell now ( and what price should I expect) or keep hold onto and make a better investment.

2) The aqua terra even though released as a limited edition hasn't sold I feel as well as previous probably 2 reasons , the seamaster 300 which actually stars in the movie and secondly Omega made 15007 which is too large a number to make it special. There are alot being sold on the used market. Is this watch not one to buy?

My dilemma is i can possibly get hold of one that is only 5 months old in an unworn condition with full box/papers etc bought from Omega AD for around £3300 ( list price is 4630). So its a good discount on a practically new watch. Will this model hold value ( i know no one can guarantee)? I plan on keeping for at least 2yrs or so do you think it should hold value well ( i dont mind even if i lose a small amount over the course of ownership).

I greatly appreciate any advise help.
    20160628_154020_resized_1.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

Edited Jun 28, 2016
  2. chich Jun 28, 2016

Unless you're buying a truly limited edition watch (ie Snoopy moonwatch), don't expect it to appreciate in value or to make a profit on resale. You seem to have a great deal on hand, so if you're happy with it then go for it.

Just be sure that you will always lose some value - the only question is whether that will be more than the saving you are making now. Get on watchrecon and do some research, and see what you find.

3. novina Jun 28, 2016

The question you should be asking yourself is , will I miss the Seamaster? Will you regret it? It is a beautiful watch. I will limit comments to what I have said. Know nothing of value of these pieces. But I do know about sellers regret.

4. gostang9 Jun 28, 2016

Welcome to the forum!

I tried this model on at an AD in Munich airport and absolutely loved it. The sparkle on the wrist is amazing.

I strongly discourage from buying watches like these as speculative "investments". Buy what you like and wear it for your own enjoyment.

There are many more Speedmasters for sale, and no one would tell you to use that as a reason to stay away from them. The law of supply and demand means a watch with plentiful supply that is not in high demand means you can get it for a greater discount in the used market. If you love the watch and will buy it for personal use, I fail to see how this is anything other than a big WIN for you.

As for long term investments, Rolex Daytona Pandas in the 1970's didn't sell very well. Today there some of the hottest vintage pieces commanding massive premiums.

I would advise you to buy the watch you'd love wearing, but If you're interested in your watch holding value more than buying the watch you love, then you might want to consider other brands that hold value better (i.e.: a used Rolex).

H4MZA likes this.
  5. H4MZA Jun 28, 2016

Many thanks for the replies. Definitely puts things more into perspective. I may have come across wrong but I definitely don't want to buy or keep the watch for holding value.

I was just raising the point as my seamaster following the price I paid is proving that I will lose nothing on it here in UK. I was surprised it is and just wondered was it worth keeping as I making the assumption once watches start to increase in value they don't decrease? Sorry if being naive here.

Secondly I would be buying the aqua terra again with the view when I bought the seamaster.... To enjoy it as a watch. Whether it loses money is secondary thought.

If I did sell I will always have a special place for my seamaster being my 1st love lol but Im not the kind of person who gets overly attached to material things.

I know watches are very personal but I was wondering if any owners of the new aqua terra can pass on any reviews of it?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

6. tfjordan Jun 30, 2016

If you have any concerns over selling, keep the SM and buy the Aqua Terra. I have sold many watches I regretted, and a few I've even replaced with same model. The two watches are a very different vibe from each other and you'll probably enjoy having a change up for different functions. I'm the worst to ask because I currently have 20ish and I have one rule now - if I consider selling something, I wear it for 24 hrs before making final decision. That usually leads me to falling back in love with a neglected piece and keeping it.

Here's my two very different Omegas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonuffinkbloke, roryoc11 and H4MZA like this.
  7. chich Jul 1, 2016

That's a gorgeous looking mark II. Looks mint!

8. H4MZA Jul 1, 2016

Wow tfjordan, 20ish watches. You must have some collection.... It's true the 2 watches are very different and I'd love to keep both but the potential money from the smp would be going to fund the aqua terra.

9. cwindham Jul 1, 2016

The Aqua Terra is a beautiful watch but i do not think it will retain its value like a Vintage Speedy or even a limited edition Speedy. Most of the seamasters(besides vintage) have actually decreased in value significantly. Only way to really have a chance of gaining value is taking a chance on a Vintage Omega. Vintage is not for everyone tho... I have owned everything from Speedys, seamasters, and Dynamics.

The only watch i really wanted to keep was my Orange PO. but after wearing my 69 speedy, i have to say it is my favorite and i will not part with it ever.

Good Luck! Eye candy attached IMG_2488.JPG IMG_2330.JPG Face.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_1569.JPG 1.JPG IMG_2332.JPG IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG
    Edited Jul 1, 2016
    Buckeyes#1 and H4MZA like this.
  10. H4MZA Jul 1, 2016

Yes I made slight research error when looking at selling my smp... Offers I'm getting from preowned traders are lower than I thought. But haven't lost significant amount considering what I paid for it. So I've decided to eliminate future value as part of my dilemma. I need to go try the aqua terra on at a boutique again to convince myself lol

11. cwindham Jul 1, 2016

Hopefully you will find something that works for you. It miht take awhile but you will find it. Have you thought about an older speedmaster professional?

12. H4MZA Jul 1, 2016

I think vintage watches have their own style but I'm at this moment looking for a classy but simpler watch. I've looked at the aqua terra range and rolex milgauss. The face on the james bond version is for me really eye catching and very different from the norm. Only apprehension was I've always leant towards Matt bracelets... I know the centre links only are polished on the aqua terra. Do they take more of a battering with scratches etc?

13. jedical Feb 6, 2017

Did you ever get the Aqua Terra? I got one and I love it! I also got a 300m and I have a Speedy on the way! The best watch is the one on your wrist. If you buy it and wear it that's all that matters.

20170206_212528.jpg 20170206_213500.jpg 20170206_212203.jpg 1486439096465-1310388723.jpg
    gostang9, Buster and acebang45 like this.
  14. Buster Feb 7, 2017

Beautiful Aqua Terre Jedical.

jedical likes this.
  15. gostang9 Feb 7, 2017

- yep!

jedical likes this.
  16. jedical Feb 7, 2017

Thanks! I saw it, bought it, then had to think of an excuse to tell my wife on the way home. Longest drive ever! Hahaha

Ezurcc likes this.
  17. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 7, 2017

This and this only...

ahartfie and tyrantlizardrex like this.