Forums Latest Members

1st Gen. Breitling Navitimer 806

1. erpin9 Sep 30, 2017

I managed to catch this Breitling Navitimer 806. Its fairly large at approximately 42mm n is powered by a Venus chronograph movement.

I dont know much about Breitling but based on my research, this watch is a 1st gen model and has the desirable beads of rice rotating bezel. The case is sharp and appears unpolished. The dial is original but missing the outer slide rule ring. The hands appear to be relumed.

Hoping someone can enlighten me more about this watch. Thanks.

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

2. sxl2004 Sep 30, 2017

Hi

Have a look at

http://kurt-b.com/

I have never seen a Navitimer with orange hands or non white math bezel.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  3. arcadelt Sep 30, 2017

Sorry to say it is either a fake or has been heavily modified. This is what a real one looks like.

IMG_2429.JPG

4. sxl2004 Sep 30, 2017

I agree with your assessment.

5. erpin9 Sep 30, 2017

As i have mentioned, the hour n minute center hand are relumed. The sub register hands are repainted.

6. arcadelt Sep 30, 2017

OK, as I have mentioned, it is heavily modified. What would you like to know about the model?

If you wish to bring it back to original you will need to source a slide rule, have the hands repainted/relumed, have the Arabic hour markers relumed and possibly have both "Breitling" and "Navitimer" added back to the dial. If you can open it, the inside of the case back will have a serial number which will allow you to date the watch.

Dial & Bezel likes this.
  7. sxl2004 Sep 30, 2017

Should have read more carefully.
    That is a lot to restore

8. erpin9 Sep 30, 2017

Many thanks for the very informative link. It gave me an idea as to what Navitimer i have.

sxl2004 likes this.
  9. Eric_navi Sep 30, 2017

What you have there is a reasonably nice navitimer 806 with missing slide rule and painted hands as you mentioned. The lume has been cleaned off the dial. Go ahead and relume the hands to look correct and get that orange paint off the hands (which all appear to be original) and you'll have a decent 806. The hardest part will be finding the all black slide rule without the red accents. There is nothing fake about this watch as others have mentioned. I'm happy to help if you have any q's.
    Best.
    Eric

10. Eric_navi Sep 30, 2017

as for the missing "Navitimer" it looks like it may have rubbed off during the dial cleaning or perhaps there was black paint added for some sort of dial repair? And This watch never had a Breitling signature by the wings - it's an AOPA only dial.

11. alam Sep 30, 2017

::love::::love::

12. buddman Oct 1, 2017

+1 on Eric_navi's comments. Getting the hands fixed is easy and I may have an older sliderule you can install which is commensurate with the condition if the rest of your watch if you are interestested. Also I know a very good re-lumer. Would suggest you have it done so that it doesn't actually glow though. The all blacks are very hard to find these days and you have a nice catch! Edges of dial need a bit of TLC too.

**EDIT** - I had a look for you but I only have a few older slide rules with the red marks. sorry!
    Mine:

Hands are relumed in black to match the dial lume which is original.

IMG_0941.JPG
    Edited Oct 1, 2017
    DesignerV and sxl2004 like this.
  13. kopykat Oct 2, 2017

Geez those are some ugly ass hands :(
    What a way to ruin an awesome watch. Hopefully it can be saved.

14. erpin9 Oct 2, 2017

I had the watch opened and inspected the watch intently and from the picture of the dial, you can see the outline of the word Bretling and Geneve below the number 12. The word Navitimer can also be seen at a diferent angle below the AOPA logo. Also the serial number in the inner case back indicates that it is a 1955 model. The movement is stamped BOW so it was sold in the USA. The total beads in the bezel is 120.

Definitely no signs of the dial being refinished. The lumes on the hour markers were removed too.

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

15. arcadelt Oct 2, 2017

A lesson for collectors everywhere - always do your due diligence and research, and don’t blindly accept everything you read on forums.

16. KstateSkier Oct 2, 2017

Yesterday on a flight from KC to Boston the stewardess on my SW flight was wearing a couple year old Navitimer. I complimented her on it at one point. To which she replies, "Its an aviation watch". "Yep, its a Breitling Navitimer, and a nice one at that." She comes back again with, "No its an aviation watch!" Ugh OK well nice watch lady. SMH

17. Ninja2789 Oct 2, 2017

I'd like to think I'm a relatively decent vintage collector. I read up on my resources. I look for known examples and pictures. I follow those who are generally considered knowledgable and experts in their field.

I almost never consider 806s when I see them come up. There are so many little variations/things that could be off. Also I started to get really really tired of counting the beads in the bezel. Maybe some day I'll get back into it, but for now I'm happy just looking at Breitling Top Times.

18. BobXX Oct 2, 2017

Perhaps it really was an Aviation Navitimer, like this:

[​IMG]

Watchmutt and Dial & Bezel like this.
  19. erpin9 Oct 4, 2017

Here is a picture of the watch after i had the hour markers relumed and the hands repainted/relumed. The case was cleaned and the movement overhauled. I was also able to buy on ebay a used slide rule outer ring with a nice vintage patina.

IMG_2343.JPG

20. peire06 Oct 5, 2017

Where did you buy it?