Forums Latest Members

19th Century LeCoultre Wrist Watch?

1. jimmyd13 Dec 7, 2020

So my search for the rare and beautiful continues ...

Some weeks ago, I found one such watch that I had to own. An 18ct half hunter with engine turned decoration and enamel to the front cover. Everything about this watch screams quality. The case is sublime; the movement exceptionally well made; but most intriguing was the inscription on the inside with a date of 1898. Very simply, I wanted it and was prepared to pay more than anyone else at the auction. You might see why:
    20200928_124807.jpg 20200928_124401.jpg 20200928_124229.jpg 20200928_124300.jpg 20200928_124327.jpg

At the risk of sounding mercenary, I estimated the scrap value of the case at £600 sterling. I was perfectly happy to pay more than I did to aquire it.

Anyway, I was due to visit one of my watch elves to pick up a little haul and drop this and a dozen others off. He took one look at the movement and told me it was a LeCoultre. Or was it Longines? One with an L.

I havent seen the watch since but he messaged me today to say that the parts for my bullhead had arrived and all the watches were ready for collection. And, by the way, this is "that gold one before I started the service":

IMG-20201202-WA0036.jpg

LeCoultre is clearly visible at the bottom of the image.

So, we have a 25th birthday present from 1898. An extremely wearable 38mm. And possibly a very early LeCoultre wrist watch, some 15 years before this style became popular.

I'm reaching out to those with far more knowledge of LeCoultre and their history ... I dont think this is a converted pocket watch but can anyone confirm the date of that movement? Have any of you seen a watch, like this, this early from LeCoultre? Was it a LeCoultre movement cased by another watch maker? So many questions and, short of begging for any help from JLC, I have exhausted my few resources.

2. Braindrain Dec 7, 2020

Edited Dec 7, 2020
  3. rcs914 Dec 7, 2020

4. Braindrain Dec 7, 2020

The click spring (I think that's what it's called) is different on yours than on the FHF and your Kal 9 pic. The screws on the click itself in your Kal 9 pic is different.

I even compared it to David's compendium of FHF movementa:
    https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/movements.php#fontainemelon1

It's a good mystery. Wayyyy back, I understood LeCoultre to be an etablisseur and it wasn't after the "marriage" with Jaeger did they start producing their own movements.

I really doubt it's Longines as those movements from this era are quite different, at least, from what I've seen.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 7, 2020

I’m not convinced that the case started out as a wristwatch case. It was very common practice in the 1900 to 1930 period to re-purpose ladies pocket watches to men’s wristwatches by adding soldered lugs. This example, being a Demi-hunter case, would not need a re-oriented dial, so there is a good chance that it is the original.

Still, it is a very nice example of a converted wristwatch with a generic case and a LeCoultre designed movement.
    gatorcpa

6. jimmyd13 Dec 8, 2020

Thank you all for your input. I will investigate further with the information you have all provided.