Forums Latest Members

1999-2000 Speedmaster with off-white sub-reg. hand...

1. Travelller Jan 29, 2016

Hi2all!

I'm quite new here and I'm pleased to say I've acquired my first Moonwatch a few days ago :D
    It's a '99-'00 3572.50 SN 77.0 mio in very good condition. It even came with box, additional links and all the paperwork :thumbsup:
    The only hiccup so far is that oddly enough, the hours sub-reg. hand is... well, off-white... ::confused2::
    Now we are talking sub-reg. hands so no lume involved, just good ol' fashioned white-picket-fence paint :p

It was suggested to me that "well, after 15 years, things tend to change due to sunlight, ..." and so on. Well as far as I can tell the hand's color is homogeneous (and nothing fades or "yellows" that evenly, no way).

So my question... is there another model (I dunno, say the LE "Chocolate" Speedy) that might use off-white hands? This could explain everything; an off-white hand fell into the wrong container etc. at the manufacture ;) Otherwise, it's an amazing, freak transition in color - and only the one hand; all other hands - main and sub-reg. - are standard Speedmaster white... .

I will use it as is - I can't even see the difference in normal usage and then have my watchmaker swap it out when I'm ready to have the unit serviced.

[​IMG]

Electricl likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Jan 29, 2016

Beautiful watch. The difference in hand color doesn't jump out to me, and seems well within the range of normal manufacturing tolerance.

3. Travelller Jan 29, 2016

Thanks for your feedback! I've never seen such a variance on any online photo so I wasn't sure what to think... . When one considers the actual size of these hands, it's clear that I have a "slight" case of OCD... :whistling:

The above shot was done with my mobile (cell); I should have something more accurate in tht next days to share here.
    But for now... looking great under artificial lighting... :D

[​IMG]

4. alam Jan 29, 2016

That's a sound decision :thumbsup: Nice Speedy you got there! Enjoy!

5. wsfarrell Jan 29, 2016

If you tell me that second (close-up) shot was done with an iPhone, I'm going to be very, very depressed about the money I've spent on cameras and lenses.

noelekal and oddboy like this.
  6. Travelller Jan 29, 2016

Lol :D - no, that one was taken with a very sharp Canon macro lens.

OT
    The dial is actually at an acute angle to the lens so that I could illuminate it without "drowning" it. This may cause some slight alignment errors between dial and hands as well as some softness towards the edges.

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. Travelller Jan 30, 2016

FWIW...
    [​IMG]
    vs.
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

8. grizzlycanuck Jan 31, 2016

Maybe some oil on that subdial?? Tinting the hand a bit?

But really I have a Canon camera as well, so which Macro lens do you use? I'm in the market [emoji16]

Travelller and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Travelller Jan 31, 2016

GC, I was thinking the same... but it must have been doused in the stuff during a service... :rolleyes:

I use the EFS-60 - It's the sharpest lens I own and for the ~€350 I spent on it, an amazing deal ::love::