Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1990s IWC GST Aquatimer ref. 3536 in Steel w/ “T” Dial + B&P

1. tomvox1 Nov 14, 2017

IWCAquatimer3536-1 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-BP copy.jpg

Up for sale is this long discontinued IWC Aquatimer 2000 GST ref. 3536-02 in the more uncommon stainless steel case with matching fantastically designed integrated bracelet. This classic circa 1990s automatic diver from the great Schaffhausen marque comes complete with inner and outer boxes, manuals & IWC guarantee card (in Japanese), bracelet tools and a couple of extra links. This version of Aquatimer is highly regarded by dive watch enthusiasts for its rugged construction and handsome, almost minimalist design. I have worn this great watch in careful rotation with some of my other modern pieces and it is in Excellent+ overall condition with only minor desk diving marks to the case & bracelet. As far as I can tell neither the watch or bracelet has ever been polished and both retain their original brushed and polished factory finishes.

The asking price for this fantastic Aquatimer 2000 GST with boxes and papers is $3650 USD OBRO [ON HOLD]. This price includes fully insured domestic US shipping. International shipping will be at cost. Bank Wire strongly preferred. Other payment options upon application. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS.

IWCAquatimer3536-6 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-8 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-13 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-9 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-12 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-7 copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-crwn copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-sd copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-bk copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-brclt copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-wrst-2_copy.jpg IWCAquatimer3536-box copy.jpg

CASE & CASEBACK: Large steel super water resistant case measures 42mm wide by 50mm long by about 14mm thick. It appears to me to be unpolished with its original brushed and polished surfaces in Excellent condition with only very minor marks and one small nick to the edge between the “6” lugs. The steel version of the 3536 Aquatimer is quite a bit more uncommon that the ubiquitous titanium iteration probably by a factor or 3 to 1 based on my observations. Obviously it’s heftier than the titan version but it also has a solidity and wrist presence that you only get with good old stainless steel. Makes a fine knuckle duster in a pinch as well. The caseback is essentially Near Mint with minimal marks and has all the cool old school submarine engravings that harken back to the original Aquatimers of the 1970s. External 7-digit serial number is complete and matches the paperwork but has been partially obscured in photos for the sake of the new owner.

DIAL & HANDS: This example of 3536 features the rarer mixed-media partially Tritium dial and hands. IWC did a very interesting (and peculiar) thing on the earlier examples of this model where they used Trit luminous for the “12” marking and for the hands (as well as the bezel pip) but Luminova luminous for the other dial markers. Therefore the filling of the double marker at “12” and the hands have acquired patina while the other dial markers have not. Likewise the Luminova parts will still glow when exposed to light while the Tritium lume is essentially dead. Odd & eccentric but kind of cool and sort of unique to IWC as far as I can tell. All that said this original glossy black “T” dial is in Mint condition, as are the hands and the matching white-on-black date wheel. This version of Aquatimer dial has a real tool watch, form-follows-function look to it that was somewhat sacrificed in my opinion by the more “jewelry”-like appearance of the shiny applied markers on the subsequent 2-crown 3548. Having owned both I greatly prefer the all-business, almost military look of this 3536 dial, especially with the Trit elements.

BEZEL: Classic uni-directional knurled steel bezel with anodized black elapsed time inlay and Tritium pip at “zero.” This wonderfully designed diver’s bezel is in Excellent+ condition with only minor marks and no scratches to speak of. It rotates only counter-clockwise with slight downward finger pressure and in ratcheting fashion exactly as designed.

BRACELET: The legendary integrated bracelet with quick-release link system is currently sized for my 7.25" wrist but has 2 full extra links, so it should fit up to about 7.75” when they are installed. As mentioned above it has a few superficial desk diving scratches to the polished center links but is still easily in Excellent condition and is also super tight with no stretch whatsoever. The IWC-signed spring loaded clasp also closes tightly and releases with a pleasing push of its side mounted button.

CRYSTAL: Extra-thick slightly curved but low lying sapphire crystal sits essentially flush with the bezel and is flawless and unmarred.

MOVEMENT: Although I don’t know its service history this great Aquatimer features an IWC Cal. 37524 (highly modified ETA 2892) that is keeping excellent time with the hacking & quickset date functions working as they should. This is guaranteed to be the case at the time of shipping.

CROWN: The oversized steel crown is the original “Fish” type. It screws down smoothly and tightly and unscrews to the winding, quickset date and hacking time-setting position exactly as designed.

B & P: This '90s Aquatimer comes with its original papers — International Guarantee, Instruction Manual and dealer-stamped warranty card. This watch was originally purchased in Tokyo in 1998 and so the papers are primarily in Japanese, including the instructions. The watch also comes with an IWC-singed white outer box (a flimsy thing in rather poor shape) and padded black inner box (much better construction and condition). Under the “pillow” of the inner box you will find the extra links and link changing tools.

As a matter of policy I make no guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way shape or form. But a good watchmaker will be able to test that for you and then you can go nuts with this rugged diver.

This guaranteed authentic IWC Aquatimer is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

Edited Nov 17, 2017
    Bluemartinifan, Yuriae and pascs like this.