Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1990s Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition ref. CS3111 BLACK Dial

1. tomvox1 Apr 26, 2017

HeuerCarreraCS3111-lng copy.jpg
    HeuerCarreraCS3111-6 copy.jpg
    Up for sale is this uncommon 1990s TAG-Heuer reference CS3111 "Carrera 1964 Re-Edition" manual wind chronograph featuring a beautiful black dial with original lightly patinated Tritium luminous. Released in 1996, the 1964 Re-Edition Carreras were significant in that they represented an important acknowledgment by the modern Tag-Heuer group of their glory days in the 60s and 70s when they were simply Heuer and made sporting chronographs of the highest quality. One might even go so far as to say that by mining its storied past and creating two exacting tributes to the original Carrera (in silver and black) it led Tag-Heuer directly to their vintage-inspired renaissance that continues to this day.

This handsome neo-vintage chronograph is extraordinarily faithful to the original design in both case and dial layout with the notable exceptions of the absence of “CARRERA” on the dial and the use of the sturdy Lemania 1873 rather than the venerable Valjoux 72 as its engine. This example is in overall Very Good honest used condition for a 20-year-old watch, with sharp edges to the trademark angled lugs and a perfect dial with printed decimal scale and outer silver minute track. This great Heuer Carrera tribute comes on a newer shell cordovan rally strap but with its original signed Heuer “B” buckle. I am also including some older service papers from LVHM. Though obviously well out of warranty I still think they add a nice bit of provenance and authentication to the watch, having been officially documented by TAG-Heuer’s service division. With the prices of vintage Heuer chronos skyrocketing the CS3111 is a great way to get true 1960s Carrera style without breaking the bank. Simply put, its one of the best official homages ever made.

The asking price for this uncommon Heuer Carrera Re-Edition with beautiful original black dial is $2,350 USD OBRO, which includes fully insured worldwide shipping. Bank Wire always preferred but Paypal is still OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

HeuerCarreraCS3111-3 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-1 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-7 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-5 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-2 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-bk copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-move copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-innrbk copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS311-crwn2 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-sd copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-bkl1 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-bkl2 copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-paps copy.jpg Carrera-wrst copy.jpg HeuerCarreraCS3111-4 copy.jpg

CASE & BACK: Iconic full stainless steel Carrera case with long angled lugs measures the classic 36mm wide (not including crown) x 45mm long x 12mm tall to the top of the crystal. According to the older service papers the watch was professionally refinished at its service but the chamfers are sharp and the case is thick. No safe queen, since then the watch was obviously worn a lot and there are numerous scuffs and light scratches but no heavy dings — Very Good+ vintage condition. The flat caseback shows its original vertical brushing but does have quite a few superficial scratches and a couple of minor tool marks. However all outer caseback engraving and nomenclature is present and sharp — overall Very Good cosmetic condition. The inner caseback is corrosion free and screws down smoothly and tightly. It has some old service marks but this model has no internal text.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful original black Heuer Tritium dial featuring fine white contrast printing for the decimal track and engine-turned black sub-registers, with outer inverted pie pan silver minute track. The dial is absolutely Mint and the original Trit luminous has acquired a lovely ivory patina. The characteristically shaped metal Heuer hands are likewise Mint and the warm tone of their Tritium inlays perfectly matches that of the dial.

CROWN & PUSHERS: Signed Heuer crown is Excellent cosmetically, as are the pushers. The large winding crown winds and pulls out to the time-setting position as it should. The top pusher stops and starts the chronograph and the bottom pusher resets all chrono registers precisely to zero as designed.

CRYSTAL: Low domed acrylic crystal is Excellent, clear and chip-free with only minor marks and scratches from wear.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood is the legendary Lemania cal. 1873 chronograph movement — essentially the same movement that has powered the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch from 1968 on — beautifully finished by Heuer with what appears to be rhodium plating and sporting 18 jewels. The serial number is present and overall the movement is looking very bright and pristine. As stated above and documented by the papers, this watch had a complete service at LVHM USA back in 2003. Although I’ve never had it serviced while in my possession and so cannot vouch for any later work done on the watch this Carrera has always run like a champ for me with excellent timekeeping, all chronograph functions operating flawlessly, including crisp start/stop and reset of the chrono hands, and with a strong power reserve. Guaranteed to be operating properly at the time of shipment.

STRAP: The original strap was disintegrating when I got it so this Carrera Re-Edition comes on a lightly worn modern black shell cordovan rally strap with correct Heuer-signed “B” steel buckle in Excellent condition. Like the originals, this watch has a lug width of 18mm.

EXTRAS: This CS3111 comes with service paperwork from LVHM’s US service division in Springfield, New Jersey dating from 2003. Though obviously out of warranty, if nothing else I always feel it’s a nice bonus to have some official provenance verifying that the watch is genuine and has at least been documented by the company’s after sales service.

As a matter of policy I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great genuine neo-vintage Heuer Carrera Re-Edition is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

Edited Apr 26, 2017
    quito, mbeast, Lonestar and 1 other person like this.
  2. tomvox1 Apr 27, 2017

ON HOLD.
    Best,
    T.