1987 GMT Master 16750 any red flags?

IMG_5598.jpeg IMG_5597.jpeg IMG_5596.jpeg IMG_8578.jpeg IMG_8579.jpeg IMG_5595.jpeg IMG_5594.jpeg IMG_5600.jpeg IMG_5601.jpeg IMG_5602.jpeg I have been offered this Rolex GMT Master by a dealer. He says it is a 1987 16750 with its original warranty card but no box. He says it was recently serviced. I have asked for documentation stating as such.
I have checked this site and the internet to check the validity of this watch but I know very little about vintage Rolex models. He has not shown me a movement picture. I have seen the watch in person and it looks correct to my inexperienced eye. The white lume on the indices matches the lume on the hands. The bracelet appears to be correct and tight with 50 on the last link and 550 on the end. The back of the clasp is 62510H Steelinox Registered Swiss Made with 06 above the number. He says he has more links for the bracelet. The hands seem to be stacked properly. Crystal appears to be original. Bezel looks good. Not sure if there has been any polishing.
He is asking $10500 negotiable.
I’m asking for help validating this watch. Is the dial correct along with the hands? Are there any red flags that would prevent me from buying? I don’t own a Rolex and I’m considering it for myself. The seller appears to be honest and reliable. I can pay for and pick up the watch in person.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated thanks
Pictures some taken in bright sunlight inside my car. I’ve asked for more including one showing the inside of the bracelet
Regards
agee
Edited:

IMO it’s over polished and for that price (or just a tad higher) there are better options. Look at the lug holes on this one and yours. Also, I’m surprised a dealer would let you take a watch to your car. They definitely wouldn’t do that around here

Thanks for your reply and insights.
Much appreciated

I don’t think it’s over polished. For sure the case isn’t sharp and the polishing is average, but it’s still nice and thick and could be re-done properly. There is a state between unpolished and over polished.

In the UK you really can’t get much in terms of a GMT master for $10,500/£8300 so over here the price would match the condition (although the pictures are really poor so it’s hard to be sure what the condition is).
However, from what I can see, I would rather pay slightly more for a better example.

I don’t think it’s over polished. For sure the case isn’t sharp and the polishing is average, but it’s still nice and thick and could be re-done properly. There is a state between unpolished and over polished.

In the UK you really can’t get much in terms of a GMT master for $10,500/£8300 so over here the price would match the condition (although the pictures are really poor so it’s hard to be sure what the condition is).
However, from what I can see, I would rather pay slightly more for a better example.

This would make me crazy. The spring bars look like they’re about to jump out of the case. Also I know you mentioned “warranty card” but that would be a service warranty. The original sales warranty would have been a paper certificate. Not a huge deal but it doesn’t add any value like the original warranty paperwork might
Edited:

This would make me crazy. The spring bars look like they’re about to jump out of the case

I actually didn’t see that as the photos are so terrible, but yeah if it’s actually as bad as those close ups look, then I’d agree.

Thanks for all the help
I’ll pass on this GMT. I’d really prefer a no date vintage Submariner anyway so I’ll keep casually looking

Yes, the lug holes appear to be extremely close to the ends of the lugs, which suggests a lot of polishing in that area.

IMO it’s over polished and for that price (or just a tad higher) there are better options. Look at the lug holes on this one and yours. Also, I’m surprised a dealer would let you take a watch to your car. They definitely wouldn’t do that around here
They are probably not original Rolex spring bars which might add to the illusion of over polish when looking at the case hole depth between both examples.

The case is extremely weak, I would pass. Also, the dial is not that attractive to me.

For reference and comparison, here are a few pictures of my handful of 16750’s. One is unpolished, you can venture a guess as to which one.

Hold out for nicer examples, they’re out there. It is by far my favorite Rolex reference.

good luck with your hunt. IMG_5929.jpeg IMG_7805.jpeg IMG_7275.jpeg IMG_7286.jpeg IMG_7211.jpeg IMG_7191.jpeg

Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing
And thanks to all above who commented and offered expertise to a novice Rolex buyer. I was close to making an offer on this watch until you all “showed me the light”

Thanks for all the help
I’ll pass on this GMT. I’d really prefer a no date vintage Submariner anyway so I’ll keep casually looking

Don't overlook the sea dweller as well. Given the rarity, difference in original retail price and current relative pricing to the submariner, it seems like a relative bargain to me. Relatively, not absolutely that is. 😀

I’ve owned mine for 21 years, wore it hard for the first 15 I owned it and never gave it a thought (it was just an old Rolex back then). It was polished before me and polished again by my watchmaker on my first service with him (before I knew to say “do not touch the case at all!!”). It doesn’t bother me so much as the wear and tear was my doing.
(No comments on the aftermarket rivet)

IMG_7488.jpeg

If I were on the hunt now and paying real money for one I would be hyper critical of case condition- but once it’s on your wrist and in daily use you really don’t care so much.

The case is extremely weak, I would pass. Also, the dial is not that attractive to me.

For reference and comparison, here are a few pictures of my handful of 16750’s. One is unpolished, you can venture a guess as to which one.

Hold out for nicer examples, they’re out there. It is by far my favorite Rolex reference.

good luck with your hunt. IMG_5929.jpeg IMG_7805.jpeg IMG_7275.jpeg IMG_7286.jpeg IMG_7211.jpeg IMG_7191.jpeg

Show off 😁😁 Very nice!!

To OP’s photos: why is it that so many photos are taking in cars? I see this regularly and it always leaves me with the impression that something shady is going on.

The bezel of the first pic of this thread is a service one (circular shape of the 8).