1985 Rolex submariner bezel replacement

The bezel fell off my 1985 Rolex submariner and rolled away. I will take it to the NYC RSC but am concerned about bezel replacement because unbeknownst to me the bezels changed in 2010 or at some point and are now ceramic. I would prefer an original bezel. Can I source a correct time period bezel on the internet? Otherwise any advice?

There are modern luminova aluminium bezels. Around $250 supplied and fitted by Rolex.
Being 80’s yours will have a tritium pearl. These can be found relatively easy on eBay. Just make sure you get a genuine one. If it’s stupidly cheap, there’s a reason.

The bezel fell off my 1985 Rolex submariner and rolled away. I will take it to the NYC RSC but am concerned about bezel replacement because unbeknownst to me the bezels changed in 2010 or at some point and are now ceramic. I would prefer an original bezel. Can I source a correct time period bezel on the internet? Otherwise any advice?
You would have seen a comical rendition of ‘man chasing hat’ as I tore down the sidewalk after that bezel insert. Unless it was already gone when you noticed it 😖

As David said, Rolex will should have a bezel insert that “fits”, it won’t be outrageously priced and there is nothing wrong with factory service parts. But the font may be different than the original (if that bothers you) and the pip will be stark white (luminova)
and not the creame color you probably have on the indices by now.
Be careful shopping on eBay- there are lots of fake parts- particularly bezel inserts, and they have gotten good at aging the pips to look vintage. There would be no shame posting a link to an auction here and asking the pro’s if it’s legit or not

Entire bezel or just insert? Which Submariner reference? Period-correct parts can always be sourced at a price. Rolex will supply an authentic replacement part, but not period-correct.

I was walking a huge dog (170lbs) when the dog playfully jumped on me but the metal fastener on the end of the leash smashed into the side of my Rolex and the bezel made a metallic ping noise and rolled away* I got the dog under control and put her back in the apartment and returned with a flashlight to search but after crawling around parked cars and through occasional traffic with a flashlight for 3 hours I decided the most likely scenario is the bezel rolled into a drainage grate. There may have been some weird circular wire piece as well. I was going through a difficult divorce and could not deal with resolving the Rolex issue then but am returning to it now.

I will take your sage advice and do just that.

You would have seen a comical rendition of ‘man chasing hat’ as I tore down the sidewalk after that bezel insert. Unless it was already gone when you noticed it 😖

As David said, Rolex will should have a bezel insert that “fits”, it won’t be outrageously priced and there is nothing wrong with factory service parts. But the font may be different than the original (if that bothers you) and the pip will be stark white (luminova)
and not the creame color you probably have on the indices by now.
Be careful shopping on eBay- there are lots of fake parts- particularly bezel inserts, and they have gotten good at aging the pips to look vintage. There would be no shame posting a link to an auction here and asking the pro’s if it’s legit or not

I was walking a huge dog (170lbs) when the dog playfully jumped on me but the metal fastener on the end of the leash smashed into the side of my Rolex and the bezel made a metallic ping noise and rolled away* I got the dog under control and put her back in the apartment and returned with a flashlight to search but after crawling around parked cars and through occasional traffic with a flashlight for 3 hours I decided the most likely scenario is the bezel rolled into a drainage grate. There may have been some weird circular wire piece as well. I was going through a difficult divorce and could not deal with resolving the Rolex issue then but am returning to it now.

I will take your sage advice and do just that.
The wire piece is the click spring - gives the ratcheted feeling when you move it- you lost the whole bezel then.

Entire bezel or just insert? Which Submariner reference? Period-correct parts can always be sourced at a price. Rolex will supply an authentic replacement part, but not period-correct.
JwRosenthal advises that I lost the entire bezel (ring and spring).

My request is for any guidance on purchasing a non fraudulent tritium bezel replacement. Ideally I would like to source this part before going to the RSC because they refuse to communicate for the most part.

I found a possible tritium bezel replacement on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/135223423197?:

_nkw=rolex+submariner+bezel+tritiumm&itmmeta=01J6TZBZ3BSG5H133EG7R2GVKF&hash=item1f7bf1b0dd:g:JhYAAOSwf9tm1Cya&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAABAHoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKmqop08V247S1ahYZbDau1o2j0YCmsQNojs8fEs--UXwksIGJetdjVejccrs9teC47xBIx2%2Boe9l9KSZqVYmbgZwZEvcKQ5FtQCFIMBhTCJxBm2toFW%2BMdsePvHMFL2rEmfr9UUN8whyd7Ep3GvXa5NvNDp%2F9PfKwPNvyDTwgD2Y9MFYFYCcX8mGaEZMce58ytFwMrr8WFU8fsy%2FsHXv2C6Wo0YfMfA7qvc8xf46fKrW5e6x%2BTyzEl7knpyfOM6TWaER6%2BLOtxNtULBdfArUlx7UZoBUO0ZJcV5rAJccit78Kj7BiPB3ZOYPDq7paGQ7fE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_Dxr9-2ZA

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
The link you provided is for a no date Submariner (ref. 14060) bezel insert.
Is yours a no date Sub or Sub with date?
The bezel inserts for the 14060 no-date Sub and 16610 Sub w/ date, are different and not interchangeable so you'll want to make sure you're looking to source the right part(s).

The fact that you need the bezel insert + bezel ring + the tension ring + the spring is going to be alot of parts to source from 3rd parties. If you did source all of the parts from 3rd party sellers, are you familiar with installation of the bezel components or will you taking it to a watchmaker to install the hardware?

Most of those 3rd party sellers are going to charge a premium over whatever the brand new parts retail for from Rolex. I think it might be easier, and possibly cheaper, to just let Rolex replace the parts. If the luminova pip bothers you, then you can always shop for a tritium pip insert down the road and have the inserts swapped out.

Sorry to hear about that mishap with getting the bezel knocked off in the first place. That sucks. 🙁

What country are you located in?
Edited:

I assumed you just needed the insert. A vintage full bezel, plus insert, plus spring is going to be harder and more expensive to source. Personally, I’d go to Rolex for this, then over the next few months keep an eye out for a tritium insert at the right price that you could have installed at some point int he future.

You can always do you best Marlon Brando impersonation and wear it as is 😜

IMG_1806.jpeg

In seriousness, good luck finding the parts. You’ll need to know which to look for as fitment is important. You can try hunting on TRF as you may find the standalone parts there.

IF you can get a RSC to sell you a complete bezel without a service, that may be the way to go. However, if they will only provide a bezel with a complete service, which is what I’m inclined to believe, I may caution that route. If your watch has the original tritium dial/hands, Rolex will replace those with modern parts and keep the originals.
Edited:

Certainly in the UK they will do the bezel without a service. I spoke to St James about the same issue earlier this year and they confirmed they don’t insist on a full service, but will only supply and fit (fitting costs were more than the bezel), they won’t simply sell you the loose bezel.

@ZXZ - why don’t you post a picture of your watch so we aren’t guessing. If you can remove the bracelet, the reference and serials numbers will be on the case between the lugs which will help us know exactly what you are dealing with.

I agree you should have the whole assembly replaced by Rolex, and then perhaps buy a period-correct insert on the secondary market some time in the future. Depending on whether your local AD actually has a service department or not, they may have to send the watch to the RSC for installation. Of course, they may not tell you that unless you specifically ask. Or you can send the watch to an RSC directly.

The link you provided is for a no date Submariner (ref. 14060) bezel insert.
Is yours a no date Sub or Sub with date?
The bezel inserts for the 14060 no-date Sub and 16610 Sub w/ date, are different and not interchangeable so you'll want to make sure you're looking to source the right part(s).
I think the no-date Sub in 1985 would have been a ref 5513 and the date Sub a ref 16800. But we only have the OP's word that the watch is from 1985. If that is a purchase year and the watch is even older, the reference could even be a 1680. Most importantly, your point is correct about the bezels and inserts being different, which is why I asked the OP which reference he had. It's his watch, so I assumed he would be able to tell us.

Anyway, if he is going to take the watch to an AD, this is all moot. They will take care of it for him.
Edited:

You can always do you best Marlon Brando impersonation and wear it as is 😜

IMG_1806.jpeg

In seriousness, good luck finding the parts. You’ll need to know which to look for as fitment is important. You can try hunting on TRF as you may find the standalone parts there.

IF you can get a RSC to sell you a complete bezel without a service, that may be the way to go. However, if they will only provide a bezel with a complete service, which is what I’m inclined to believe, I may caution that route. If your watch has the original tritium dial/hands, Rolex will replace those with modern parts and keep the originals.
You are most likely correct in temrs of logistics. The Brando sans bezel looks like a generic old military watch.

I agree you should have the whole assembly replaced by Rolex, and then perhaps buy a period-correct insert on the secondary market some time in the future. Depending on whether your local AD actually has a service department or not, they may have to send the watch to the RSC for installation. Of course, they may not tell you that unless you specifically ask. Or you can send the watch to an RSC directly.
I concede to the collective wisdom here. Off to RSC.