Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 7, 2014

Hi,

I have a question about the following watch from eBay.

Apparently, its year of manufacture is the 1980s (yes, already dubious that they'd put a decade as a year). There are no movement shots to show the serial number to verify this, or inside-caseback shots either. Overall, it looks brand new. So, the question is, it has to be a redial (redial, repolish, re-everything) right? Or is it really just NOS? Or fake?

This is the link.Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks in advance

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2014

Not fake, not NOS either. Looks like a nice cosmetic restoration, but who knows what the movement looks like.

Dials were made in odd colors then, blue among them. Probably a redial anyway.

Overpriced by at least a factor of two.
    gatorcpa

3. diamondjim Aug 7, 2014

You might want to check the Feedback on this seller, 27 Negatives in the last 12 month's!
    Reading a sellers feedback is very informative, I'd stay away from this one but that's just me.

4. diamondjim Aug 7, 2014

I'm sorry I forgot to add that you can just click on the 27 on the feedback page and it will list only the Negatives.
    See what other buyers have to say.

5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 7, 2014

Thanks, I hadn't actually checked out the feedback yet as at the moment I am not ready to buy, I'm just browsing to try to find something nice from 1980. I have posted about this before, looking for inspiration, but it seems it's not a well loved period for Omega.

6. Mothra Aug 7, 2014

:) I really liked the way this watch looked when I spotted it a year ago (yes, that how long he's been trying to sell it) but I could only find a handful of older omega watches with this colour dial.... all different models, but all for sale by the same seller at the time. I'd assumed it was a redial at that point, but was still curious so emailed a question about the case ref so I could work out what it was - a reasonable ask I thought given it was supposedly serviced. No answer. Its your money, but I wouldn't.

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 7, 2014

Yes, these 'Pre-Manhattan' 168.0055/368.0850 models are a bit of an enigma on the market. The dial is genuine and this colour was definitely on offer when these pieces were produced. Powered by a cal 1011, arguably they should fetch roughly the same price as a 368.0851 of equal condition.

I've seen some also-ran examples sell for under $400, while a two-tone with 14k gold links fetched around 1300.00, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency, as they aren't widely known or available (maybe because their owners haven't yet fallen off the perch and their worldly goods are not subject to estate pickers). But, I would say that anyone who is happy with a cal 1011 movement, and to a large extent the cal 1011 is now more fully understood and its reputation has been rehabilitated, these are nice pieces to own. Produced from '75 - to just before the introduction of the Manhattan, I'm sure a few 'birth-year' collectors may be interested......but not at the price asked.

Cheers

Desmond

Tiny Iota likes this.