Forums Latest Members
  1. Flyer2 Jun 25, 2016

Just today I was offered @ £1900 a Speedy cal 861 Head only.Is this a fair price for such a watch.

Many thanks

Paul

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. wsfarrell Jun 25, 2016

That's not a bad price for a nice '76 Speedmaster, but I don't think this is a nice one. Tritium on hour markers is not attractive, and case is well worn/over-polished.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 25, 2016

Case is pretty crummy for that price.

Keep looking.

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 25, 2016

Welcome

First, if you have to ask, it's obvious that you are fresh to speedmasters. Bearing that in mind I would say it's not bad. It's not a rip off.

Would I buy it? No. Would I recommend you do not? No.

Would I say try find another, I say probably if you can wait, yes.

It's a fair, usable and enjoyable watch. So some here might buy it at £1400 or even less, BUT they/we have (or bought) many speedmasters, most of us might have paid this level for this watch before we gained a bit of knowledge and confidence. - because the watches I buy at this level I want do not hang around because one of the other quick fingered buyers here will have it. The only way I learned was owning my first watch.

There are cheaper watches sometimes but at the moment not really. I saw a 145.022-69 at a trade show for $3000 missing a hand and a more damaged dial. I didn't buy it but a first time buyer will learn a lot from it. There is little around.

If you can be patient, (and I envy you) then scour eBay and buy one for around $2000-2500 that needs a service and send it to STS

Concentrate on finding a watch with a clean dial, and original hands and bezel.

If this watch were on eBay it would fetch around that, but for me the dial is too damaged. At this level a good case is a bonus but unusual.

If my advice seems conflicting, it's because to learn you got to be involved, to be involved you got to pay.

If you are an evolved human, you will wait.

I'm not very evolved myself.

Davidt, OMGRLX and GregH like this.
  5. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 25, 2016

Patience is indeed a virtue. Perhaps more so in collecting watches than many other activities.

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 25, 2016

image.jpeg
    Another 76 with better aging on the hands and a crisper case. Early 76 dial vs the latter 76 dial on the OP watch. OP watch has a great bezel vs a nice patina bezel. Sourced for less then what the OP posted pre Brexit.

Edited Jun 26, 2016
    OMGRLX and Spacefruit like this.
  7. Flyer2 Jun 26, 2016

It is a 1976 watch,I have signs of wear too.

8. Flyer2 Jun 26, 2016

Update,I've offered him 1400 for it and he will consider the offer on what I have seen in similar condition.
    I've had too many Speedys to count tbh,although not many 861's hence my question re pricing considering condition,I've had more of the cal 1861's,and what better place to ask than this Omega forum.
    I've been collecting watches for quite a while,usually vintage as I like the fact they've been ticking away all those years.
    So I will wait and see what my PMs will be on TZ as to whether he lets it go for £1400,it may be a keeper and if so I'll have James aka DB10 work his magic,the bonus is it has just been serviced so good for a few years or so,even if it has a few scuffs here n there.