1973 Omege Genève 166.0173 - My first vintage Omega!

(OK... technically not my first vintage Omega... I have an LED Time Computer 3 Digital 1 circa 1976. But it isn't something I wear, and the movement wasn't made by Omega, but by Frontier. I'll start another thread on that one.)

For several months now I have been watching Ebay for a 1950-1980 time/date Omega automatic in SS on an original bracelet. Something that would be suitable for everyday wear. I settled on this one because:

1. Timeless design (looks like it could have been made any time between 1960 and now... sort of has the same design language as the Rolex OP).
2. Excellent condition from what I can see in the pictures
3. Brushed silver dial is a clean and classic look
4. Just serviced by an Omega authorized independent watchmaker
5. Being sold by a private collector here in the US of A (I see too many questionable pieces from Japan/Korea/Eastern Europe/ South America/etc.).

I paid $685.75. I know this might be high for a humble Genève on integrated bracelet with a pedestrian 1012 movement and no box/papers, but hey -- I like it. Sure a chronometer would have been nice in a Seamaster or Constellation on BOR, but as long as it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures I won't be disappointed.

(Wrist shots in about a week along with some more detailed photos.)

1.png
2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png
7.png

You’ve ticked all the boxes for the right reasons.
I’m also a big fan of the ‘humble' (mid 60s/70s) Geneve.
Ideal as a daily wearer - particularly in stainless steel and with an integrated bracelet.
Your photos aren’t particularly sharp but it looks like a nice watch in good condition, at a reasonable price, and - you’ll enjoy wearing it.

You’ve ticked all the boxes for the right reasons.
I’m also a big fan of the ‘humble' (mid 60s/70s) Geneve.
Ideal as a daily wearer - particularly in stainless steel and with an integrated bracelet.
Your photos aren’t particularly sharp but it looks like a nice watch in good condition, at a reasonable price, and - you’ll enjoy wearing it.
Thanks, Spruce. Those are the sellers photos. I will get some good ones once it is in my hands.

That is a very nice watch in excellent condition, congratulations! Great style! I also like this period Omegas and maybe 1012 is not so bad as sometimes is said. if I understand correctly, it's a second generation of the 1000 series and they fixed the issues of the earlier models by that time.

The suspense is killing me! All of the truck drivers must be in Canada because this watch shipped from Galveston, TX, on Monday, and USPS shows that it was scanned in the North Houston Distribution Facility yesterday. According to the USPS it is scheduled for delivery today, but that ain't happening if it was in Houston yesterday.

:sigh:

The suspense is killing me! All of the truck drivers must be in Canada because this watch shipped from Galveston, TX, on Monday, and USPS shows that it was scanned in the North Houston Distribution Facility yesterday. According to the USPS it is scheduled for delivery today, but that ain't happening if it was in Houston yesterday.

:sigh:
We share your frustration 😉

I finally got the watch -- took almost two weeks. For some reason the package stayed in the Houston distribution facility for five days.

Anyway, it is beautiful. 😀 When I got it the bracelet had been install backwards, so I removed it for an ultrasonic bath and to reverse it. In the process I discovered that the spring pins were not original, and they were different sizes (one was 1.5mm and the other 1.8 - one was normal and the other quick release). So I decided I would not wear it until I had replaced the spring pins with new ones.

The lug width measures at 9.5mm (good luck finding 9.5mm spring pins). So I decided to go straight to Omega to order the pins. I called the Swatch Group USA service center at (877) 839-5224, and I must admit that their customer service is quite poor. I am not impressed. Lots of time on hold listening to looping music, and when I got a real person they sounded like they had just rolled out of bed. The response was "you have to submit your request to the parts department via e-mail." My comment, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I had pushed the right number for the parts department." "Yes sir, this is the parts department, but you have to submit an email to get into the queue." So my e-mail is sent, and we will see how long it takes them to respond.

I decided to order the spring pins for the case as well as the spring pins for the clasp. I am ordering double of each so that I will have future spares. Because I plan on wearing this watch a lot it will give me peace of mind to know that the pins are new and of high quality.

The seller had said that the worst scratches were on the crystal, so I had planned on polishing them out with Polywatch. But frankly, I can't see them unless I really try, so I am going to leave it as is. I love me some wabi sabi to make it feel real. (It is a signed crystal.)

I will post some shots after I get it back together.

That’s good news all round. Spring bars are an easy fix.
I suggest that you still polish the crystal because even though you don’t see any scratches, your camera phone photos will show them.

Opened it up to get some pictures for my records. I didn't want to use my Harbor Freight watch case opener and scratch it up, so I drew one up in Solidworks and 3D printed it in PLA. Probably would have been better with an 25 nozzle (instead of 40) and PETG for strength, but it was good enough to get the job done. 45 minutes on the printer.

I love the vertical brushing on the dial.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png

So when I search 366.0832 I get this watch on Omega's website (except it says that the case is gold plated). What is the 166.0173? Are they both reference numbers, or is the second number the part number for the case back?
Edited:

So when I search 366.0832 I get this watch on Omega's website (except it says that the case is gold plated). What is the 166.0173? Are they both reference numbers, or is the second number the part number for the case back?
After searching the web, it seems that some casebacks were shared between different models, so there can be two reference numbers. The 166 would be a strap watch, and the 366 is a bracelet watch (3= Gents bracaelet, 6= automatic winding, 6= water resistant). The 0832 is evidently a model designation, but I can't find any decoder to parse these numbers.

Just FYI in case someone else is also wondering.

If that's your first Omega, you sure know what you're doing. Really super, well done, enjoy!

If that's your first Omega, you sure know what you're doing. Really super, well done, enjoy!
Thanks. I think I got a real pristine specimen for 49 years old. Also, the style is timeless. Geometry is similar to Rolex OP or Grand Seiko. It really is beautiful in person. Wrist shots to come once I get the new spring pins.

It appears that the case is missing the O-ring/gasket. Not being familiar with the later models, I suppose they may not have had the level moisture resistance that earlier Omegas were insistent upon.
Edited:

It appears that the case is missing the O-ring/gasket. Not being familiar with the later models, I suppose they may not have had the level moisture resistance that earlier Omegas were insistent upon.

Actually, I took it off to clean the case back in the ultrasonic. It is on again.

I like the watch. But the ability to 3D print your own caseback tool is cool 😎

Just got a call from the parts department at Swatch Group Service. Not very helpful. She didn't even seem like she wanted to help. Just told me that the parts are discontinued and not stocked. She wanted me to send in the bracelet for service, then they would send it to Switzerland to have them make spring bars for it. I pushed her for more information, and she gave me the watch head spring bar part number 068ST9908. But she said her records did not give any size specification.

I should not have had to push to get more information. Good customer service would try to solve the problem by providing as much information and support as possible.

I am not impressed with Omega Customer Service. Every time I have contacted them I get treated like I am some sort of nuisance they would rather not deal with. Pretty bad way to treat your customers.

Got some temporary generic spring bars while I wait 6 weeks for the Omega parts. Tonight is my first night on the town with my new (49 year old) Geneve. Intermission at the Canadian Brass concert (seated in the nose bleeds).

20220222_192439.jpg

Here are some more detailed images now that the watch is back together. BTW.. getting 10mm spring bars in an integrated bracelet is no easy task. I look forward to getting the Omega bars with the quick release nob. (Not that I will take off the bracelet often... but it will be good to know it has the original spring bars.)

I feel very confident in saying that this one will not be back on the market in my lifetime. The reference exudes class and timeless design, and this example is nearly flawless -- hard to believe it is almost 50 years old.

20220223_084515.jpg

20220223_083803.jpg

20220223_084251.jpg

20220223_083919.jpg
20220223_083933.jpg

20220223_084036.jpg

20220223_084138.jpg

20220223_084348.jpg