Forums Latest Members
  1. Petek Mar 25, 2019

Hello everyone. I still have my late wife's Omega watch, original with original black leather strap. It is a gold plated cocktail watch. At least I think so.
    The movement number on the guarantee card is 322 2 4247. It was purchased on the 22nd. July 1973. Metal ref is Gold Plated MD S11314. Question is, what is the cal. number? I can't find any information on the net. From the photos, how would I rate the condition should I decide to sell? Yes, it still ticks when wound. Any help would be much appreciated.

20190325_193450.jpg 20190325_193315.jpg
  2. Canuck Mar 25, 2019

Have someone experienced open it for you, then all will be told. In that era, Omega used more than one caliber in ladies watches, so it is tough to tell which movement is in it. As to selling it? Not a lot of demand for antique or vintage women’s watches in the collectibles market. Particularly for such plain styles such as the subject watch. Are you sure someone in the family wouldn’t treasure it and enjoy it?

By the way, Google cocktail watches for women, and review the style of watch usually defined as a “cocktail” watch. It might open your eyes.

Edited Mar 25, 2019
    Dan S likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 25, 2019

Hi Pete,
    Looks to be a nice little watch in good nick. The numbers are a bit strange, but if we do some guessing and allow for the fact that they may not have been written down correctly, and knowing the structure of Omega's reference numbering, we could derive MD 511.314.

So:

MD = 20 micron gold plate with stainless steel back.
    5 = Ladies watch.
    1 = Manual winding.
    1 = Non Water Resistant.
    314 = Reference serial number.

If we consult the Omega Vintage Database, we need to add a zero to the reference (why? only Omega knows), so we would look for reference 511.0134.

Result:
    [​IMG]

GENÈVE

1969 - BA 511.0314

FEATURES

• International collection1969
    • Case material18K solid yellow gold
    • Vintage watch watchcase typePress‑in
    • BraceletLeather
    MOVEMENTS
    • MovementsManual winding (mechanical)
    • Caliber number485
    TECHNICAL DATA
    Water resistanceNo

The one shown in the database is a "BA", which is yellow gold, 18ct, but it's essentially the same watch.

And by using the serial number of your watch, we can figure out approximately when it was produced, which would be 1970.

The movement looks like this:

[​IMG]

OWa, Petek, Omegafanman and 1 other person like this.
  4. Petek Mar 26, 2019

Well thanks JiminOz, so the s is a 5. That's very informative and all I wanted to know really, the watch checks out. We bought it new in Glasgow from an Omega dealer. Thanks again.

5. Petek Mar 26, 2019