Forums Latest Members
  1. michaeldscott Oct 23, 2014

Hi and greetings from a first-time poster.

Bit of background - a few years ago my grandfather passed away and left to me his vintage Omega. Its engraved on the back so I know it was manufactured around 1971/1972 (it was a gift from his company in 1972, I'm presuming they bought it new). It wasn't running but I had it repaired and it runs like a charm now - well, up until today.

I left the watch too close to a lamp at my desk at work which appears to have caused the dial markets to warp - see pictures below, its quite clear they've separated from the dial and have bowed upwards. It looks awful and more importantly, one of the hour markers has bowed so much that it is preventing the second hand from moving.

This is obviously a sentimental piece for me, not to mention I love how it looks on my wrist. What are my options here - can I replace the dial, and if so, how do I find a dial that fits? I'm not even sure what model this is beyond the approximate year of manufacture. It looks very much like this watch: http://www.kalmarantiques.com.au/vintage-omega-geneve-watch-n561.aspx, which claims it has a .565 automatic date movement, but I'm no expert so I really don't know where to start here. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks very much in advance! FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 23, 2014

I smell a shonky rat.

The watch has had the dial re-done and I suspect the person who did it used generic plastic markers.

The original Omega ones would have been gold plated metal, probably brass or maybe even solid gold if the watch is solid gold (and a good reason for the plastic replacements) :cautious:

You can see where the original markers were from the position of the small holes in the dial.

Get the watch opened and you will find the case number which you can use to track down another dial (either used or NOS).

If you don't have the skills, locate a watchmaker with some trust credentials to service and repair it.

Cheers

Jim

3. mac_omega Oct 24, 2014

+1 bad re-dial job - I suspect the re-dialer has melted down the gold markers to make some extra money :thumbsdown:

4. Mothra Oct 24, 2014

I imagine that would have to have been pretty close to the lamp to do that damage, and I dont understand how the acrylic dial didn't melt as well! Were you trying to activate the lume?

And seconding the above, you need a donor watch - use the dial, sell the case and movement or keep for future spares. Odds of there being a nos dial out there are slim.

5. marturx Oct 24, 2014

The wholsesaler from which I buy parts from time to time, has this sheet published on their home-page.

omega-tavlor.jpg

The circled one looks like it´s the one you need. Because it´s shown there, doesn´t necessarily mean that they still have it, but one can ask!

6. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 24, 2014

But who would we ask?

7. marturx Oct 24, 2014

It better be me, since I have an account with them....

Fretworker likes this.
  8. michaeldscott Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for all the quick replies! Very helpful!! While I don't like the idea of my grandfather being swindled by an entrepreneurial watchmaker melting down the gold markers, that certainly seems like a good explanation - the exposed holes for the original markers is the telltale sign as they were clearly replaced with plastic markets that didn't span the length of the original ones.

I opened up the caseback and confirmed its a .565 movement and that the case is 166.070 which gives me lots of information to work with in finding a replacement dial....though I'm not exactly sure where to look. marturx, who is the wholesale part supplier that you mention and can you direct me to them to inquire? Thanks!

BTW, the watch was definitely too close to the lamp, but it wasn't there that long so I would have been surprised had the dial itself melted - I would have been really angry at myself had that happened!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2014

Looks like the dial you need is a 064PT0838006. Still available from Omega.

Cheers, Al

10. michaeldscott Oct 24, 2014

Thanks so much Archer! Can I ask a stupid question which is where I might go to get my hands on this specific part - should I contact Omega directly? Many thanks again to all for the help, I'm excited to get the watch back up and running! Cheers

11. Mothra Oct 24, 2014

Sorry - meant acrylic crystal, not metal dial. If that had melted it would have been something special...

12. Skv Oct 25, 2014

You might want to try https://m.cousinsuk.com