Forums Latest Members
  1. TruthHurts Mar 14, 2017

I see that in the forthcoming Watches of Knightsbridge auction on 18 March, they have a Lot No. 192 listed as ‘A RARE GENTLEMAN'S STAINLESS STEEL OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL CHRONOGRAPH BRACELET WATCH DATED 1971, REF. 145022 FIRST NASA MOON LANDING TRIBUTE CASE BACK WITH "STRAIGHT WRITING", ACCOMPANIED BY THE EXTRACT OF OMEGA ARCHIVES’.

I wonder whether anyone else has noticed that the caseback may not be quite what it seems. Of course without examining the watch in person, it is impossible to pass any judgement with certainty; so my observation remains simply an opinion. However, I have compared the details of the Lot No. 192 caseback engraving with my own Speedmaster (movement no. 31615***) which I have owned from new, and which has the correct 1st generation caseback, and note a number of possible issues.

I wonder whether anyone else has thoughts as to the 'correctness' of the Lot No. 192 caseback. Photo attached: Copyright Watches of Knightsbridge, and posted here under Copyright fair use exemption terms.

Please comment.

02.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 14, 2017

What are your observations of possible issues with this watch?

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 14, 2017

what are your concerns, this looks legit with the black paint removed. possible acid cleaned with brought out the radial pattern, and font distortion. The other side is what matters more.

4. TruthHurts Mar 14, 2017

The circular machining marks appear to be very course, unlike any I have seen on authentic 1st generation casebacks. (However, this may well simply be the lighting.) The text and Omega symbol are very crudely engraved with numerous misalignments, and simply lack the precision of other 1st generation casebacks I have seen. The overall condition appears to be excellent, with very little wear; and yet, all the black paint is missing. Other minor details have also caught my eye. Not saying it is a fake, but just does not look 'right' Take a look at this photo of a genuine 1971 1st generation caseback. Guaranteed genuine as I have owned this watch from new.

OMEGA BACK.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  5. TruthHurts Mar 14, 2017

Another photo of the genuine 1971 1st generation caseback.

DSC_7262.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 14, 2017

I thought it lined up. If it had an acid bath to clean it. The engraving would become less crisp in the way it looks and the radial pattern would get deeper.

The alignment of the case notches seem to be off but better then some examples. Speedmaster101 has a NOS one that has a bigger engraving difference on the logo to text.

Inside CB should be able to confirm.

7. wsfarrell Mar 14, 2017

I really think this is a lighting issue, as when someone's face is lit from below and they look totally different. For example, the L and I in FLIGHT are almost joined into a U in both cases; the two L's in ALL are almost touching at the bottom; the second vertical in the H in "THE" is directly over the middle of the W in "Watch"; etc. There may appear to be serifs missing on the auction watch, but there are enough present to make me think it's legit.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 14, 2017

what he said.

I thought it looked odd too, but then I looked at mine and I think lighting too. Really bad pic and I hope that is not an auction pic.

9. TruthHurts Mar 14, 2017

The big main pic is the auction pic of the actual caseback. The other two are my own 1971 (movement no. 31615***). Comparing the crispness and uniformity of the lettering on my caseback and that of the auction watch does create doubts. If it was something on ebay, then doubts are perhaps only to be expected, but they have an estimate of £4,500 - £5,500 + 20% fee on the watch!

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 14, 2017

Dang, $6500 USD all in. Wow, I will be watching this one. Really I can't see it going for that price point. Might be many coming on on the market it they get that price point.

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 14, 2017

Lead the way, I will take on of those at that price. With vintage bracelet? I have cash :)

12. Kmart Mar 14, 2017

Ha, I deleted my post because this is not a -71 but a 145.022 "straight writing" correct? Either way still a high estimate.

Taddyangle likes this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 14, 2017

But I am looking for a -71. :)

14. Kmart Mar 14, 2017

Taddyangle likes this.
  15. TruthHurts Mar 15, 2017

Yep, Watches of Knightsbridge have it at a crazy price https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0019/lot-eddac659-ddcb-4dbe-9022-a72400a914f6 Before bidding, it's worth noting that they do not guarantee authenticity nor accuracy of their description. Their Terms & Conditions state, '...any representation or statement by WoKb in any catalogue as to originality, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price is a statement of opinion only ...WoKb are not liable for the authenticity of watch parts if no representation or statement to the originality is made in the description or condition report'. They will only return money if, within 21 days you can prove that the 'complete watch' is a 'deliberate forgery'.

I have communicated with Watches of Knightsbridge regarding my concerns in connection with this watch. Their response has been short and sharp, including a threat to 'proceed with legal action' if I was to voice my opinion about this watch on any forum.

Gentlemen - read into that what you will.

16. watchlovr Mar 15, 2017

Nothing wrong with the WoK watch that I can see. (Apart from the price!)

17. TruthHurts Mar 15, 2017

It's a very risky business drawing conclusions as to whether any watch is completely original based solely on two or three photographs. I suppose it all depends on what your definition of 'nothing wrong' is.

At WoK's top end estimate of £5,500 + 20% buyer's fee = £6,600 ($8,050), I would expect 100% kosher, mint, boxed, with original papers and purchase receipt . . . with a guarantee carved in stone that they would give me a full 'no quibble' refund if I found any fault whatsoever with the watch!!

If that Speedy sells on the 18th for that sort of money, then mine will be up for sale the next day! Here it is:

OMEGA copy 2.jpg
    Taddyangle likes this.
  18. TruthHurts Mar 15, 2017

Lol. Watches of Knightsbridge have really taken my comments to heart and posted more photographs of their 1971 Omega Speedmaster Professional. Certainly a big improvement on the images they had before. Will be interesting to see what it sells for.

19. watchlovr Mar 15, 2017

I have not drawn any conclusions, I simply said there is nothing wrong with the WoK watch that i can see
    Meaning from the information available at that time.
    If information changes, opinions change.

20. TruthHurts Mar 18, 2017

Auctioneer tried to run the price up, but watch didn't sell. Says it all, I guess.