Forums Latest Members
  1. El_Barto Feb 22, 2012

Hi All,

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I own an original 1970's speedmaster, one that was past down to me from my dad, unfortunatly one of the links in the bracelet has come off and got lost, resulting in me not being able to wear it.

The bracelet in question is identical to the one in this picture:
    http://www.ofrei.com/images/ome022st1125000.jpg
    and has the ID numbers on the back: "Stainless steel 1064 1164/166" where would i find a replacement bracelet, and do you think it would be a better idea to only replace the missing link? If so where do could i get it from?

I do have a local Omega dealer where i live, but .. well .. there useless for lack of better words :(

Any info would be welcome,

Thanks!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2012

Is this a Speedmaster professional or a Speedmaster MK2? Can you post pics of the actual watch?

3. El_Barto Feb 22, 2012

its a speed master professional, here are some pictures, i apologies for the very IMG00056-20120222-1502.jpg IMG00058-20120222-1502.jpg IMG00057-20120222-1502.jpg poor quality but my Blackberry is the only camera i have at the moment, i ll try to get some better ones later

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2012

That's ok, its a Speedmaster Pro, so any Speedmaster bracelet will fit it, there's a brief rundown on those bracelets here: http://www.omega-addict.com/reviews/bracelets/

Then there's part two: http://www.omega-addict.com/reviews/bracelets/article2.html

The best option on balance is probably the 1171/633

So you need to get a bracelet model OME-1171-000 and then a set of end-links model OME-026ST633, which is around $300. The bracelet has the same vintage look as your original, the same taper, is quite light, very flexible, and rather strong, should give you a few decades of honest service.

Etp095 and El_Barto like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2012

And no I wouldn't just replace a link or two, if the old bracelet is shagged out to the point of the links failing, its not worth the risk with a vintage Speedmaster Pro. The other links are likely just as weak as the ones that failed, for $300 you get a brand new one, so don't bother with the old.

Etp095 and El_Barto like this.
  6. El_Barto Feb 22, 2012

Perfect thanks a lot for the info. Where would i go to find such a specific bracelet?? Are there any reputable online dealers? Is Ebay a good bet? I ve seen some bracelets going on Ebay for reasonable prices, but not sure how confident i am that i will get a genuine Omega bracelet of the right size :s

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2012

Ofrei.com is your best bet, ebay works too but ofrei is likely cheaper.

8. El_Barto Feb 23, 2012

Many thanks for the info, order has been put in :) Hopefully wont take too long to ship it over to Europe !!

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2012

Cool! Post us a pic of the completed watch when its done, and in the mean time, throw the broken bracelet on ebay, someone will probably want to salvage the endlinks or the clasp or something, you may get $20, you may get $80 or more, who knows.

10. El_Barto Feb 23, 2012

Would it not be more valuable to keep the original bracelet if it ever came to selling the watch??

Not that i m intending to sell it anytime soon as it has more sentimental value than money could buy, but out of curiosity?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2012

I doubt it since its broken, and not that special a bracelet, if it has sentimental value, then by all means hold on to it, I've got a broken beads of rice bracelet that was original to the pie-pan my father wears that I've kept for that reason.

12. El_Barto Mar 19, 2012

New bracelet has arrived and is fitted, watch looks like new again :) Thanks again !!

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2012

Always good to hear, hows the 1171 feel compared to the original? Should be 95% the same.

14. El_Barto Mar 21, 2012

As far as the look of the bracelet it looks pretty much identical. As for the feel, i dont know if its because i m so used to wearing the old one that had a bunch of imperfections, but the new one seems
    1) lighter
    2) less solid feeling (although its probably just as if not more solid) but it feels a bit flimzy, almost too perfect if that makes sense (probably doesnt but its hard to explain)
    3) i used to have a trick with the old bracelet to quick release the watch where i would lift the back of the clasp and it would insta-release, that trick does not work on the new bracelet :(

But overall i am extremely happy with it ! Beats loosing/breaking the watch due to a faulty link any day !!