Forums Latest Members
  1. ncloudv7 May 2, 2016

Hello,
    I'm new to watch buying and I made a mistake without doing alot of research and won an auction on ebay. Part of my mistakes was I was interested in way too many watches and did not focus my research. The concern I have is the watch that I won and currently have in hand does not have a reference number on the back case.

The reference number was machined out. I did not take a picture of the deleted reference number when I brought the watch to a local watch repair shop for them to take a look at it. I simply forgot. Mistake was not asking about the reference number until after the watch was already on it's way to my place. I had 30 seconds left to bid and made bid at less than 1s..... I know bad choice... lesson learned.

Anyways, I really do like the watch even if it has been repainted on the dial and such. This was going to be my daily when I'm not working and would save up for another watch in the future. It does run slightly fast. This is my first automatic so I don't know how accurate they really are supposed to be.

Item is ebay number: 172169142015
    not sure if I could direct link ebay on this site.

Pictures are accurate of what was inside, however, there was alittle dust inside the watch that is visible.

My main concern is the deleted reference number. Should I really be concerned about this? Notice there is no picture of the back case

TIA,
    Jimmy

s-l16001.jpg s-l16003.jpg s-l16004.jpg s-l16005.jpg
  2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 2, 2016

not sure why you are so worried about the case number ... its def. not a collector's item ... overpolished and all that

I would even go as far as question if that dial came with that watch ... whats up with the golden rim around the dial ... did the dial shrink over time?

there sees to be a mismatch between the dial and the rehaut ...

so take it for what it is: a nice looking watch in blue that does not need a battery (its not more or not less) ...

even in best condition those are not too desireable ... google omega dark years ...

but --- and that is a lot! I like it (lookwise)

enjoy!

jimmyjay likes this.
  3. redpcar May 2, 2016

2 different watches. Sorry.

4. ncloudv7 May 3, 2016

Thanks for your inputs. I'm mainly worried I paid too much for a modded time piece when I could have used the money for a different watch. If it was cheaper I don't think I'd mind a custom piece that looks nice.

Redpcar: 2 different watches as in different dial with different case and caseback?

Do you guys agree I paid too much for this? Thanks

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 3, 2016

If you mentioned what you paid in your post,you'd likely get an answer. I seriously doubt anyone here is going to take the time to do an eBay search, to find what you paid for it.

6. ncloudv7 May 3, 2016

Thanks for the tip. It was USD $475 + 30 shipping for total of $505.

Seller did not mention about the case back deletion of ref number until asked. Seller posted on his sales detail that the watch was serviced.

Edited May 3, 2016
  7. Pvt-Public May 3, 2016

I wouldn't worry about the over paying, we have all don it at one time or another. I paid over $125 for these 2 and one that was missing the tire for a parts watch. And they are all missing the key ring lanyard.
    IMG_0607.JPG