Forums Latest Members
  1. ourLOL Apr 4, 2018

I have owned this watch since the sudden death of my father in 1979. I have no information other than it has an inscription on the back saying it was presented to him for 37 years of service. I think this would have been around 1977. The strap is not the original. I remember my mother saying it was a ‘gold’ watch but I have no idea if this is true or not.
    My eldest son (who didn’t inherit my brains) is due shortly to become a medical consultant in the NHS. My father would have been so very, very proud. I thought I would give him the watch to say a heartfelt well done.
    I’m scared (and can’t really afford) to pay hundreds of pounds on an official OMEGA service if the watch has no real value and am wondering can someone tell me anything about this particular watch, the model, likely value etc.
    My grateful thanks in advance.
    Laura

B2EC3CED-B12D-4E1A-99AC-C11E968D0AE8.jpeg FB782678-613E-4AEA-BC99-877016A76503.jpeg
  2. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 4, 2018

Hi there. No need to send the watch to Omega. Find a competent watchmaker in your area and you'll be fine. If you tell us where you reside many times a member can recommend someone near you. Should run you about $150-$200 US for a full service barring the need for replacement parts. In order for us to help you with additional information such as model/reference and case metal composition you'd have to provide pictures of the back of the watch and the inside of the caseback. Also the back of the bracelet/clasp as there should be hallmarks there if solid gold.
    These 70's Omegas are not highly collectible (yet) but it's a wonderful heirloom to pass on to your son. Cheers.

ourLOL, Dedalus05 and watch_nut like this.
  3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 4, 2018

@ourLOL Nice story. I'm presuming you are in the UK, and the standard response is to talk to either Swiss Time Services or Simon Freese for advice and potential costs of a service. If you could give some idea of where you are located other members may be able to chip in and suggest alternatives.

Hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

ourLOL likes this.
  4. ourLOL Apr 4, 2018

Gordon,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I will endeavour to open the back of the watch and report back. There are no hallmarks... so the watch is, as you suggest, gold coloured and not a piece of any financial value. I live in South East England so will find a reputable watch repairer to give it a look over. At the moment I don’t even know if it’s a self or manual wind. Doh! The second hand is moving but I don’t know it that’s the shake I gave it or twiddling with the winder.

It’s sentimental value is priceless however and will, I’m sure, be received in the spirit in which it is given.

Thank you again.

5. Edward53 Apr 5, 2018

It won't be an automatic as it would say so on the dial. It has to be either a manual or a quartz movement. If you carefully try winding it a little way and it keeps going for a while, it's a manual, which nowadays seems more likely for a presentation watch but in the 70s quartz was "cool". Personally I would take it to a jeweller to open it and find out. An awful lot of watches get posted here with gouges across the back where someone has tried to open them and slipped...:(

ourLOL likes this.
  6. ourLOL Apr 5, 2018

Thank you Edward for the words of wisdom. I would probably be one of those bound to scratch the back and possibly damage the inscription. I don’t want a situation where it would be with the benefit of hindsight. I will heed your advice and will leave opening to an expert.

7. Vitezi Apr 5, 2018

Your watch looks similar to the manual-wind 9-carat watch (a) shown in this 1977 UK Omega catalog:
    upload_2018-4-5_7-10-48.png

8. ourLOL Apr 5, 2018

Oh gosh it does doesn’t it. The year tallies too as does my mother’s insistence it was gold. Thank you so much.

I am truly very grateful to all who have replied.

9. simonsays Apr 5, 2018

If the case back is gold that indicates it is gold. A steel case back indicates gold filled/plated. I think a really nice leather strap would make it much more contemporary and wearable. Simon Freese is an excellent option for servicing in the UK

10. ourLOL Apr 5, 2018

Simon, we were just saying it would be better with a leather strap. Particularly so having seen the image from the catalogue. Do you think a nice generic leather strap (rather than a genuine Omega one) would devalue it? That said I can’t imagine my son would ever part with it so the value is not material (other than for insurance purposes maybe).

My husband had, before receiving this reply (with the servicing recommendation), already taken it to a local watch and clock repairer. He has previously worked at J W Bensons in Old Bond Street in the west end of London and also Garrards the Crown Jewellers in Regent Street so we feel it is in safe hands. He’s said it is 9 carat on stainless steel. It was very dirty inside when opened apparently.

Meanwhile I’m going to try and repair the box... the lid having become detached from the base. It’s also missing the internal watch stand which is sad but not something I can easily remedy I don’t think.

14C85F82-9C5D-4B99-AE69-55CD32A7E520.jpeg