Forums Latest Members

1970 Speedmaster with moisture damage. Looking to have it repaired. (Seattle)

1. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

Hello.
    I have a 1970 Speedmaster that ended up in a pool by accident. I never saw liquid in the crystal but there was a little condensation on the inside of it. (It was a hot environment.) The watch has sat for 20 years since then because I'd assumed it was destroyed.

I recently posted a photo of the movement on Reddit where most were of the opinion that it could be repaired.

My goal would be to keep as much of the original movement as possible; replacing only the parts that cannot be restored. I do not want a new movement, or for the dial or hands to be changed.

Any suggestions or info is appreciated!

IMG_0594.jpg IMG_2165.jpg
    Seaborg and Zapatta like this.
  2. Sherbie Nov 15, 2020

The movement can be cleaned and serviced, no problem - but best to send this to someone competent

if you are in the UK - either Simon Freese or Swiss Time Services would be recommended

3. SkunkPrince Nov 15, 2020

Yes, please share where you are so we can recommend a watchmaker.

4. Sherbie Nov 15, 2020

5. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

I am in the US... forgot to mention that. I added it to the post Title.

Thanks!

6. SkunkPrince Nov 15, 2020

I recently had a Seamaster Professional serviced by Nesbit's in Seattle and I am 100% happy with their work. They are Omega authorized service and they pay attention to customers. Service is excellent and they are very responsive to questions.

wagudc, Foo2rama and Taybharr like this.
  7. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

I know of them, and I happen to be in Seattle! I'll arrange to drop it off to them this week after work and see what they say once they get a chance to have a look. Thanks!

janice&fred likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 15, 2020

Can you zero in on your geography a tad? To me, this looks like a movement service only. I'm not sure I'd do any more.

9. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

LOCATION: I forgot to mention where I am and updated the title to reflect. I'm in the US, Seat
    That's great to hear! I have felt a little depressed every time I've come across the watch in my desk since the incident. I'm very encouraged by everyone's opinions of it being repairable. I'm in Seattle. SkunkPrince mentioned Nesbit's, which I've heard of, so I'll give them a try this week.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 15, 2020

Just make sure you make it clear that you want movement only. Really important.

janice&fred likes this.
  11. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

For sure. I don't want them to replace anything that isn't required to get it running again. I don't want the crown, buttons, bezel, etc touched. Definitely nothing on the face or bezel. I don't even want the case polished. Every tiny scratch or ding is part of the watch's history.

12. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

Curious... I have no intention of selling it, but what would it be worth, roughly, once it's running again? I know the crystal has been replaced, and it has the "Moon Watch" back which I've been told is not the original for that era. I paid $1,200 for the watch in 2002.

13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Nov 15, 2020

Might also look into getting that dial looked at. Tritium is looking like it is falling/fallen off.

14. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

I'm sure it is. I think I'd like to leave it as is so as to retain it's "age" and history. It won't be a daily wear by any means, so there wouldn't be any practical reason to. I have a beat-to-hell Citizen Promaster that I wore for 15 years as a dive instructor and boat captain in the Caribbean and I refuse to have the sun-faded dial or hands replaced for the same reason.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 15, 2020

Speedmaster 101 will give you all the info you need.

16. repoman Nov 15, 2020

After restoration, assuming that goes well, you'll find you did well.

First, read this: https://speedmaster101.com/145-022-69/
    Then read this: https://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/ (pay attention to the 145022-69 DO90 row)

17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Nov 15, 2020

Tritium falling off a dial can stop a movement.

18. SkunkPrince Nov 15, 2020

They might be able to clean the hands and dial without damaging. But do pay attention. I know what you want may not be what you hear but it does pay to listen to the experts.

19. Doc. Caliban Nov 15, 2020

Second thought: Unless having just the tritium restored wouldn't affect the value of the watch, but I don't know anything about the valuations.
    Thank you!

I noticed the Flight Qualified row a few down from that one. That's the back that it has, though I have no idea if it's the original.

20. Dor_42 Nov 15, 2020

Maybe look into having @Archer service it?