Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1970 Omega Memomatic - Stunning Pilot Case - 166.071 - Taking offers :)

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 25, 2017

Dear all

This is my first “open” sale on OF, please be gentle and provide any feedback to me via PM as I’m trying to do my best here :)

Today I am bringing for sale my Omega Memomatic 166.071 from 1970, and case from the “pilot” era for sale to the forums. No other reason than making space in the watchbox to fund other pieces.

If you don’t know the almighty Memo, please have a look here for instance (http://www.old-omegas.com/pilotline.html#166071 ), this will also direct you to other links and you can learn more about it.

The Caliber 980 was quite a revolution in the mechanical alarm movements, for two reasons:
    1- It was the first rotor self-wind system with only one barrel driving both the movement and the alarm – you only have one winder…
    2- It was also the first alarm wristwatch where an alarm could be set to the minute by a dual central rotating alarm disc, as opposed to the A. Shild-based movements, or the Jaeger Memovox movements where you set the alarm time with just one hand. The latter yields much more inaccuracy for obvious reasons. on the first pics it's set up for 12:01, but I quickly corrected this in the later pics to as close at 12 sharp as can be. The wrist shot has the alarm set at 10:30. you get the idea ;)

I don’t know this watch’s service history but it keeps decent time, less than 20s deviation/day. The alarm rings strongly, and I guarantee you if you have it ringing on your glass night stand that it WILL wake you up! Of course it doesn’t buzz as strongly as your iPhone, but remember this came to market 40 years earlier ;)

The previous owner is a well-known French collector who likes blue watches and jewelry in general. He had the black, original second hand replaced by a blue memomatic one – the black running seconds hand will be sold with the watch too… but, frankly, the blue one is a perfect fit and makes it a lot sexier than the black/silver combo only.

The mesh strap looks like it comes from StrapCode but I cannot confirm it. The mesh itself is darn close if not 100.0% similar to the original Omega one. I have an original omega on my 176.007 and I honestly cannot tell the difference. The folding clasp is what gives it away… but if you have an Omega mesh with the “buckle” like closure, you know how much of a PITA it is to close without having a padded area to rest it on. So, smart choice again from the previous owner. I have it adjusted for my 17cm (=6.7in) wrist, it can easily accommodate an extra 10mm (=0.4in).

It sports an immaculated omega-signed crystal, and an omega-signed crown.

This watch truly is a stunner! I highly suspect it has been refinished but whoever has done this knows his stuff, the sunburst on the case is stunning and immaculate. A few forum members have seen this piece in the flesh and I hope they will chime in and confirm that this is a head-turner!

I am asking for €1957 - FIRST AND LAST PRICE DROP TO €1757 net to me- plus shipping at cost to anywhere in the world from Switzerland (not cheap, prolly ~$40 to $75 tracked+insured, still TBC when we close the deal). If you are in the Lemanic area, then I’d be glad to meet you in person, hand it over to you, and the beer is on me :) I am primarily looking for cash, but I can entertain trades too, although this is not a preferred option and you might be getting the short end of the stick. I am interested in Heuer 1553’s, Autavia’s, a Gemini IV, or a nice stepped dial/applied logo speedy (105.012, 145.012 transitional), or for the modern stuff a Black Bay or a Pelagos, or even an Heritage series - we can talk the mundane stuff by PM if you dell like trading, I'm not completely blind to the fact that your watch might be worth more than mine ;)

I’ve taken my best shots (pun intended) at these pictures, using what I believe is a quality camera (except some of the wrist shots) i.e. my good ole D60, and the almighty silicon ball to open the caseback, which was the first time for this watch for me as it freaks me out to do this on anything whose value is higher than a few hundred quids… please let me know if you need other pics and I will do my best to fulfill your requirements J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an iconic 1970 watch, if like me you like this era you will be in awe at this timepiece!

[​IMG]

And now the fine print, shamelessly stolen from @Spacefruit , who always has B.I.C. ads (and watches, unfortunately over my budget in most cases...) – William please let me know if this is an issue and I will amend this all :)

SALES TERMS
    I only sell to bring some new pieces to my collection. I am not motivated by profit and so I have no reason to embellish or over describe. I have (mostly) bought and sold (a few - actually, one… and one trade too!) watches on www.OmegaForums.net and you can find my feedback by searching my username. I have met a few omegaforums members in the Lemanic area and I hope I made a good impression to them! I am not a watch dealer, I make my money elsewhere, watches are my pleasure, but I’m not a philanthropist either J

I will first sell to the first person that says "I will buy this watch now at your price", and this will have priority over any other offer below my requested price. I am not in the slightest bit offended by offers, but remember that they will only make sense if the watch remains unsold after a few days.

Returns:

I have done my absolute best to provide as much info as I could. I will not take returns for this watch unless you consider it is grossly misrepresented and you are willing to have a discussion about it all, openly, on omegaforums, i.e. not by PM but into the limelight, as I value my fellow OF members opinions. I am opinionated, but not stubborn :)

Payment

Payment by Bank Transfer is favored; Paypal is expensive, and leaves the seller vulnerable to chargebacks, I will accept paypal from established members only and will request you to use the “payment to friends” option. Face to face is always welcome in the Lemanic area :)

Edited Apr 21, 2017
  2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 25, 2017

Beauty! GLWS::love::

BenBagbag and Lonestar like this.
  3. alam Mar 25, 2017

and I agree! ::love:: GLWS!

Lonestar likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 26, 2017

A beautiful watch, being sold by a fantastic chap.

Someone is going to get a good'un!

GLWS Paul. :thumbsup:

Lonestar likes this.
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for the kind words and the likes everyone. You don't see Memo's that often, and certainly not in this form and condition! I hope she goes to a good home. Otherwise she will stay at mine, with not too much resentment. She's just not getting the wrist time she deserves, so I'd rather have her go to someone who will treat her like she deserves more often than I do ;)

Edited Mar 27, 2017
    Paulomega likes this.
  6. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 4, 2017

Bump!

(please note : I did say I would not bump daily and I hold my promise... ;) )

DSC_0449.JPG

And open to offers, too! :)

Edited Apr 4, 2017
    davidswiss, Jwit and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 4, 2017

Nice watch offered by a great seller, buy with confidence :thumbsup:

tyrantlizardrex and Lonestar like this.
  8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 11, 2017

Bumparooski. With the godfather of soul giving you the subliminal message that I'm open to sensible offers :)

9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 21, 2017

Friends, I understand this is not a Speedmaster, and, as such, it doesn't tickle as many OF member's fancy as the almighty chrono! :D

This will be the first and last price drop - then it will be bumped a couple of times, afterwards it will either stay in the watch box, or hit ebay, I still have to figure it out :)

200EUR price drop - 1757EUR net to me :)

Thank you!
    Paul

10. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE May 4, 2017

fortnightly bump... in your face, daily bumpers and "all PM's replied to" (yeah, right :whistling:) forum polluters...

and open to offers :cool:

Scepticalist likes this.
  11. Scepticalist May 4, 2017

Free bump from me then - if I hadn't committed funds to the Speedy Tuesday I'd be sorely tempted. Lovely thing.

Lonestar likes this.
  12. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE May 16, 2017

"I've gotten some questions on the caseback, so allow me to answer"

"Oh, and I want to clarify some questions on the bracelet"

"A few nudges, but nothing firm yet"

Yeah, sure, whatever :D let's be honest here, and admit we're just BUMPing this one... (then again once every couple of weeks or so is acceptable in my books)

13. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 17, 2017

Great watch, at a buyer's price!

I see this one getting scarfed up by a savvy, tasteful, and discriminating OF member quite soon!

Lonestar, tyrantlizardrex and Jwit like this.
  14. Ken G May 17, 2017

As a proud wearer of a pilot Memomatic for the past two years, I couldn't agree more with your description of owners of this magnificent model! ;-)

Lonestar and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  15. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF May 17, 2017

I feel like this is a new tag line for under your username ::bleh::

Lonestar, Ken G and dougiedude like this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 17, 2017

No, that would be WAY too much of a compliment!

I would have bought this one if it were not for another beauty that I found elsewhere at the same time... someone's gonna get a really nice Memomatic!

... and that also brings up a very important question: now that the squirrel is gone, who gives out the (as you call it) Tag Lines?

Lonestar, tyrantlizardrex and Jwit like this.
  17. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE May 18, 2017

Aw, shucks, you guys are sweet ::love::::love::::love::

18. kpaxsg May 18, 2017

IMG_3267.JPG
    Seems like there's 2 different type of casing and dial colors? IMG_3265.JPG

Lonestar likes this.
  19. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE May 18, 2017

Yes! There are three different cases, with the two you highlighted and an even later one, and a few dial colors available.

Some great pictures and variety here, for instance:
    http://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23243

Mine is the pilot-cased version, dare I say the most striking one :)

Kreindog24 and Jwit like this.
  20. Ken G May 18, 2017

I can't recommend this model highly enough - if anyone's on the fence, just go for it! You won't regret it.

Here are a few shots of mine:

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_8950.JPG

JanV, munch.norge, Omega1 and 6 others like this.