Forums Latest Members
  1. marcus53 Aug 7, 2018

Hi Omega forum members. I was fortunate to recently inherit a 18ct gold 1970 Constellation. It is my first vintage watch which is surprising in a way as I have been into vintage cars since I was a kid and there is some read across if you like mechanical devices. My wife of 30 years has been giving me a gentle dig in the ribs that she still wears a cheap quartz so I would like to surprise her for her 55th birthday. She likes the style of my watch so I have been looking for the equivalent ladies model. I have literally spent hours looking through vintage Omega adverts from period magazines and also looking at other sales and auction sites to see if I can find that equivalent. I came across the watch pictured on one of the internet auction sites. It is being sold as a ladies model, 18ct gold case and strap, with case dimensions approx. 37mm by 28 mm. In appearance it looks like mine apart from the dial face, Mine is gold whilst this is clearly black. Despite all of the time spent trawling the internet I have yet to see another with a black face. I checked on the official Omega website too and their vintage back catalogue does not show anything ( or at least I couldn't find it!). So my beginners question is whether anyone can confirm that this is the ladies model or is the vendor as misguided as me?! I'm very much a beginner at this so please excuse my ignorance. I haven't spent any money yet, and will check the hallmarks before coming close to parting with any cash. I'm more worried about buying her a man's watch and if you met her you'd understand why! Here's hoping I haven't offended anybody...

s-l500.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2018

My concern is that it really should have very sharp mirrored edges around the case. This watch has been very heavily polished.

Here is some information from Omega's Vintage Database:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-constellation-omega-ba-767-0803

There was a similar watch in steel auctioned off several years ago.

https://www.kaplans.se/en/auktioner/2000/vara/648884

There was a smaller version of this watch, Ref. 568.0020 that was only 31.5mm across. Here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/262810690140Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The value in these watches is almost totally in the gold, so I wouldn't think that another example in better condition would be a lot more expensive.

Good luck with your search,
    gatorcpa

Dan S likes this.
  3. marcus53 Aug 7, 2018

Thanks Gatorcpa, in the old car world a heavy polish is normally a good thing! Clearly I have a lot to learn. It's rather sad that that value is driven just by the base metal, but I guess that's the reality of life. I contacted the vendor and the measurements he provided were for the case - his words. I When I measure my own watch it doesn't seem far off that size. He wants GBP 3500. I guess that's the scrap value of the gold. Looks like the search continues then but thanks for helping this watch junior learn a bit more.

4. Edward53 Aug 7, 2018

I very much doubt that watch contains £3.5K in scrap gold. Welcome on board anyway and Lesson One is don't do anything in a hurry!

marcus53 likes this.
  5. Dan S Aug 7, 2018

I think that @gatorcpa was suggesting that the actual market value of this watch is primarily in the gold (because this reference is not particularly desired by collectors). That's not the same as saying that the asking price is anywhere close to the actual market value. It's quite common that a dealer's asking price could be two or three times the actual fair market value of a watch.

Also, polishing a case destroys the original lines of the case, which often has sharp edges, chamfers, bevels, and facets. That's the reason that polishing reduces value.

6. marcus53 Aug 7, 2018

Thanks for the advice guys, I will refrain from purchasing this one. There is no immediate hurry, her birthday is a while off yet so time for me to learn more. I am based in Hong Kong and have just read that there are some reputable vintage watch dealers here I should go and visit.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2018

That watch is not worth anywhere near US$4,500. My guess is that there is about $1,200 to $1,800 in gold there, maybe.

Remember that ladies watches are generally not collectible, so there should be very little premium attached.

I have paid a little as $15 for good quality ladies' Hamiltons (in gold-filled cases of course).
    gatorcpa

kaisiang098 likes this.
  8. marcus53 Aug 8, 2018

Correction to my earlier comment. There are a lot of vintage watch shops here...this isn't good news! I thought I might have found a more "sensible" hobby than classic cars...now I am beginning to appreciate the minefield I have wandered into! I think I need to start by reading post 1 on this website and find myself some beginners books on watches. Should make Christmas presents easy for my friends and family. Books not watches...:)

9. Vitezi Aug 8, 2018