Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1969 Zenith Defy A3651 with ladder bracelet - 500 euro

1. septentrio Jul 24, 2019

For sale:
    Brand and model: Zenith Defy A3651
    Diameter: 37mm crown excluded
    Papers, box and accessories: none
    Shipping: international insured, 15 to 45 euro depending on location - bombproof packaging
    Movement: Zenith cal. 2552 PC automatic
    Asking price: 500 euro net to me

This nice A3651 can move to a new home. The A3651 is a special reference because of the 'Miura' case with crown at 4 and blue sunburst dial with nicely designed chapter ring. Just like with all other vintage Defys there is a high shock and water resistance. These A3651s are specifically targeted by collectors. The hard part is finding one with dial flaking that you like. These dials are one of the most well-known failures of Zenith, as, just like a lot of the big Swiss houses in the end '60/begin '70, they did not succeed at getting the blue dial paint right. A lot of the dials have been replaced. The flaking is for this reference a sign of originality, because the ones with perfect dials have 9/10 received a service dial at one stage.

This example is a very good one. The 'miura' case is sharp and with correct vertical brushing on the sloped planes. The radial brushing on the bezel is nice and has not been polished away. Light scratches on the case, but all in all a very good an correct example. The crown is original and signed. It screws well. Caseback shows the Zenith star and the serial falls in the correct range. The dial has sharp text, and the flaking is distributed evenly. All scratches are on the crystal and not the dial. The tritium in the hands and on the dial has turned a nice shade of yellow. It was UV verified. The legendary ladder bracelet is in very good condition with normal stretch and some dents in the clasp. Datecode 4-70 is on both parts of the clasp and matches perfectly with this reference. ZC endlinks are correct.

2 points of attention which makes this a 'project':

1) the crystal is not the original bevelled mineral glass and should thus be replaced for 100% originality - all scratches you see in the pictures are on the glass and not on the dial;

2) the movement runs well, but does not keep time accurately. According to the previous owner, this happened very suddenly which would mean she was magnetized. Demagnitizing, adjusting, or a service, is thus the message for the new owner.

If you ask me, the price I'm asking is a bargain. The bracelet should be worth already half of the amount.

The watch is with me in Belgium. Bombproof shipping is my middle name and payment can be done through Paypal (costs for buyer) or else Paypal F&F or wire transfer. I have some feedback here, and more than 100 reviews on the Dutch Horlogeforum.nl. I also have a perfect ebay track record, next to an IG page with 1000+ followers (a_pylyser).

Pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]