Forums Latest Members

1969 Speedmaster Mark II 145.014 in spaceflight ?

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 2, 2020

As we recently found out that each of the Skylab-4 astronauts used, besides their NASA-issued Omega Speedmaster, a personal wristwatch during that 84 days Skylab space station mission between November 1973 and February 1974... it seemed Edward Gibson might have flown his personal Omega Speedmaster Mark II chronograph.
    Anyway, there were two automatic chronographs onboard Skylab-4;
    William Pogue wore his Seiko 6139-6005 automatic chronograph
    Commander Gerald Carr wore his Movado Datron automatic chronograph
    More info & photos: https://omegaforums.net/threads/hidden-gems-from-the-nasa-photo-archive.27812/page-31
    :coffee:
    Pre-flight NASA photos show Edward Gibson regularly wore an Omega Speedmaster Mark II chronograph
    . December 1972 SL-4 preflight press conference
    Gibson_Mark2.jpg
    . February 1973 Skylab systems familiarization & training procedures
    Gibson_NASA_MarkII.jpg
    .September 1973 Skylab training
    NASA_Speedmaster_Mark2.jpg

2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 2, 2020

Skylab-4 Science pilot Edward Gibson's Omega Speedmaster Mark II also appears in post-flight NASA photographs.
    e.g. late February 1974 the crew going over SL-4 results Gibson in the middle
    Mark2_Speedmaster_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg ...
    This November 16, 1973 launchday suit-up photograph clearly shows Skylab-4 science pilot Edward Gibson wearing an extra watch underneath the fireproof underwear of the A7L spacesuit. He's assisted by Deke Slayton...
    Skylab_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg
    As far as actual mission photographs are concerned, we didn't find conclusive evidence... but we keep searching and will try to contact Dr Gibson

3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Mar 2, 2020

Very interesting indeed, thanks for the info and pics. Hope there will be more to come.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 2, 2020

Well we know the Omega Speedmaster Mark III and Omega Flightmaster were flown by the Soviet-Russians. Even the 1973 Speedmaster 125 was flown by cosmonaut Vladimir Dzhanibekov on Soyuz T-6 to the Salyut-7 space station in June 1982... So it's interesting to check out whenever the Omega Speedmaster Mark II chronograph was first used on a spaceflight mission...

Tet likes this.
  5. OMEGuy Mar 2, 2020

Very interesting. :)

I have been looking at the pictures and somehow I think the pushers seem longer than usual, especially in the first and the third pic, considering the angle from which the photos were taken. But well, it's almost impossible to tell.

Dash1 and SpeedyPhill like this.
  6. Dash1 Mar 3, 2020

Telestop?

7. OMEGuy Mar 3, 2020

That's what came to my mind, yes.

8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 15, 2020

Here's another question:
    Not a Mark II but it looks like astronaut Michael Gernhardt wore an Automatic Speedmaster on STS-94 aboard shuttle Columbia in July 1997...
    Any idea what the other wristwatch was ?
    STS94_Automatic.jpg
    94_Gernhardt.jpg
    Wristwatches worn by astronaut Michael Gernhardt in July 1997 during mission STS-94 on " Columbia " (Photo: NASA)
    Edit: Omega Speedmaster Automatic Reduced Triple Date ... still trying to ID the lower LCD wristwatch

Edited Mar 15, 2020
    Ascalon likes this.
  9. Ascalon Apr 5, 2021

I was messing about with this pic here, to get a closer look at what you can see Gibson wearing, which looks like a standard issue Speedmaster on a black NATO:
    [​IMG]

But when you zoom in, it looks like he has another watch on the same band, on the inner side of his wrist. In fact, it looks a lot like the shrouded lugs of a Mark II.
    [​IMG]
    Or am I dreaming?

TimeOnTarget likes this.
  10. S.H. Apr 5, 2021

Breitling Navitimer pluton 3100?

simonsays likes this.
  11. simonsays Apr 5, 2021

I had a long chat with Micheal Gernhardt recently, and that was a Breitling on his wrist. He did say he preferred the X33 that he helped develop for its better functionality. He also flew his Flightmaster 911 and is very fond of that watch.
    He is a total watch nerd and as a professional diver is very keen on diving watches too.

12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 5, 2021

Looks way more like a Chronosport UDT to me.
    upload_2021-4-5_5-54-27.jpeg

Waltesefalcon and Ascalon like this.
  13. Ascalon Apr 6, 2021

So, @SpeedyPhill what is your assessment of the Gibson pic, do you think that is the Mark II watch head on the strap?

The more I look at it, and even angling my own the same way, it could well be.
    Are there any other high res images about to examine?

PS: may have found the answer. There is another image, though low res, that shows it is some kind of wrist calendar, check list or the like. Dang.

Edited Apr 6, 2021
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2021

Phil I think has forgotten his password or something, he messaged us asking if he was banned but he isn’t, didn’t want help resolving it though so not sure what is up.

Ascalon likes this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 5, 2023

@Ascalon
    I believe Ed Gibson wore the passive radiation dosimeter at the wristband. This little box-like dosimeter had an image of Snoopy (dressed as a pilot wearing a cape) on it and was used by the long-duration crews onboard Skylab space station...
    (Photo: NASA)
    Snoopy_Skylab.jpg

Ascalon and Geme81 like this.
  16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 5, 2023

Just checked some better NASA Skylab onboard photos, clearly pointing out this was a passive radiation dosimeter at the velcro wristband.
    (Photos: NASA) #Snoopy
    Snoopy_Skylab_Gibson.jpg Snoopy_dosimeter.jpg

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 7, 2023

February 2024 will mark the 50th anniversary of the end of SL-4 mission to NASA's Skylab space station as the crew splashed down on February 8, 1974. The SL-4 astronauts were recovered by the USS New Orleans, but the whole recovery operations were not broadcasted live on TV !
    Right upon return to Houston, we see Ed Gibson wearing his favorite personal Omega Speedmaster Mark II chronograph, the mystery remains :unsure:
    (Photo: NASA) #MoonwatchUniverse
    SL04-SpeedmasterMk2.jpg

Ascalon, RevZMan123 and Geme81 like this.
  18. Ascalon Dec 8, 2023

It is as tantalising as ever!

Thanks @SpeedyPhill, appreciate the insights.

19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 6, 2024

50th anniversary bump ... as 50 years ago, Two automatic chronographs returned from space!
    February 8, 1974 as the third and final manned Skylab space station mission SL-4 safely returned to Earth with a splash-down in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California, awaited by the US Navy amphibious assault ship USS New Orleans.
    Each of the Skylab-4 astronauts used an extra personal wristwatch during NASA Skylab training;
    Gerald Carr: Movado Datachron HS-360 automatic chronograph
    William Pogue: Seiko 6139-6005 automatic chronograph
    Edward Gibson: Omega Speedmaster Mark II chronograph
    upload_2024-2-6_14-24-1.png
    We know for sure both Gerald Carr and William Pogue wore their automatic chronograph onboard the Skylab space station (Orbital Work Shop OWS) during 84 days 1 hour 15 minutes between November 1973 and February 1974.
    However, onboard SL-4 space station photos don't reveal if Ed Gibson wore his personal Omega Speedmaster Mk II chronograph in space.
    Less than 24 hours after splash-down, Gibson's Speedmaster Mk II can be seen on his wrist upon return to Houston Texas in a February 9, 1974 photo (Deke Slayton in the background).
    NASA astronaut/physicist Edward G. Gibson, aged 87 is still going strong and I always wondered if someone ever asked him this question if he also flew a personal watch during Skylab-4 ?
    (Photos: NASA) #MoonwatchUniverse
    upload_2024-2-6_14-24-1.png SL04-SpeedmasterMark2.jpg SL04-SpeedmasterMk2.jpg

Waltesefalcon likes this.