Forums Latest Members
  1. Sminthian Aug 29, 2015

I was digging through some old boxes a few days ago and came across this watch again. I've found it here and there over the years, but never put much thought into it.
    My father used to show this to me when I was a kid (I'm 35 now) and he said that he bought it in a store in Sweden when he was overseas during the Vietnam War. And that's all I know about it.
    I did some research and it looks like it's a 1969 Omega Seamaster Bullhead. All I can really find out about it is that everyone keeps saying that they're rare and everyone wants one....and that's it.
    Does anyone know what this is really worth? I'm not even sure if I want to sell it, so how do you store an old valuable watch?

IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.JPG
  2. Zuke Aug 29, 2015

Great looking watch.

I'll call dibs. Let me know if you decide to sell it

3. lillatroll Aug 29, 2015

This model is currently quite popular, but far from everyone's cup of tea. It was first produced in the early 60s but was never really a hit with buyers. This is one reason why it is quite uncommon, but it is not what you would call "rare" It was a relatively cheap watch when it was first released. In 2013 Omega reissued the watch and reminded people of the original which has pushed the price up. Sellers are asking anything from 6 to 10k usd for these but having looked on various sites it seems they are not necessarily getting the upper prices as some of them have been there for quite some time. (I want to own this particular model one day, so I check regularly to see what kind of prices are being asked)
    Yours would need a service having sat in a draw for so long, no matter if it works or not. It seems to be in good original condition,which adds to its attractiveness for collectors. I know that not everyone is sentimental about these things but if this watch had belonged to my father I would get it serviced, keep it and wear it, its a nice reminder of your dad.

Edited Aug 30, 2015
  4. nate168 Aug 30, 2015

+1 on keeping it and wearing it! when you give it to your son you have a very cool story to tell him about his gramps.

Taddyangle likes this.
  5. marturx Aug 30, 2015

What you have there is a "barn find" Bullhead in original, untouched and excellent vintage condition. Even the original strap is still present. Present the paperworks and box from when the watch was sold, and you have an unique piece!

If I was in the market for one of these, I would really do my very, very best to get this one. Sellers are asking silly money for them, but this one can be one of very, very few specimen that can be worth near those levels IMO

If this watch don't mean a great sentimental value to you, you should consider to sell it, because it's mainly a collector's piece, and if you're not interested in vintage watches, I would take the money and buy something I'm really interested in! Or take the family on a fantastic vacation.

Esmarch likes this.
  6. cristos71 Aug 30, 2015

Great advice here!

I'll only add if you do decide to have it serviced let us know your location and I'm sure there will be somebody here who can point you in the right direction of a good watchmaker who is sympathetic to the needs of a classic vintage piece.

7. Zuke Aug 30, 2015

Yes if you do decide to have it serviced make sure you find the right person as @cristos71 suggests. You'll want to make that the repair person has an appreciation for vintage pieces. You'll want to make sure they keep this piece in original condition - same hands, dial etc. You'll also want to make sure that they do NOT polish the case.

You have a really cool piece. GL

8. cristos71 Aug 30, 2015

Mine says hello :)

034.JPG

TNTwatch, Lou P, Dogmann and 3 others like this.
  9. M.D. Aug 30, 2015

You've got a valuable watch. I would personally keep it, that's a heck of a keepsake from your father. If it's only ever going to sit in a box and you're not interested in it for sentimental value, then sell it. You'll have no trouble getting a good price for it.

If you do keep it, then take others advice and have it serviced. You can damage the movement if you run it without a service. The general advice is not to send it to Omega as they will replace parts to make it look new, and as a result will reduce the value of the watch as collectors prefer the original state this watch is in.

Keep us posted with what you end up doing.

10. michaelmc Aug 30, 2015

Good advice, great watch.

11. Sminthian Aug 30, 2015

So, it sounds like it's worth around $6K-$8K. I think I'll just pack it away in its' own box and keep it for now.

And does anyone know of a good servicer in the Rhode Island / Southeastern Massachusetts area?

12. lillatroll Aug 30, 2015

Is it allowed to call dibs on this one? I might sell a kidney to pay for it :)

cristos71 likes this.
  13. lillatroll Aug 30, 2015

I think you would be looking at between 8 and 10k as it is a nice example. I hope you keep it and get it serviced, but if you are going to sell it then now is a good time to do so, they may actually be sold for a lot less in future years because tastes change and this one is not to everyones taste. As I said earlier, its a nice keepsake and memento from your father, that, can not be measured in monetry terms.

14. Zuke Aug 30, 2015

Please see the first reply to this thread... I already called dibs, and as far as I'm aware that's legally binding ;)

15. lillatroll Aug 30, 2015

I know you beat me to it, but I was calling dibs on Christos71 's watch,unless someone has already done so. Dibs is dibs and all good gentlemen respect that :)

16. happytapy Aug 30, 2015

Beautiful watch. Best place to store this is in a safe, if you have one. Wear it when you can and enjoy the uniqueness. Very desirable. [emoji106]

17. r_inge Sep 1, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Mine says hello too
    Im about to sell mine....

TNTwatch and Lou P like this.
  18. Sminthian Sep 1, 2015

19. r_inge Sep 2, 2015

i had mine serviced in swiss. 540 euro for service on the movement and 650 euro for restoration of the dial. The dial was completely fucked. The case is a NOS. I got new strap with buckle and hands from omega for maybe 50 euro

20. Ferik Sep 2, 2015

Mine is in really good shape (but not NOS) and all original. I might consider selling.

[​IMG]

TNTwatch and r_inge like this.