Forums Latest Members

1969 Omega Deville 752 Auto Day-date- Valuation? Collectibility?

1. joshgibsonbrown Jan 7, 2013

Hello! I've come across an automatic 1969 Omega DeVille day-date 752 in 6/10 - maybe 7/10 - condition. The case and strap (original) are both in good condition (steel not gold). The dial is scratched in two places - notably on the DeVille insignia. The movement is functioning, but I can't actually see inside because its a monocoque. The glass on the front (what is the proper name for this?) may also not be original according to the current owner.

I will visit the owner again and take some good photos. I've attached a photo from the Omega database in the meantime. Any initial thoughts on the collectibility/value of this watch?

The seller is asking for $430, which seems like too much to me. Thanks in advance for your feedback, its always great learning.
    Omega Deville 752.jpg

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

I think if you are starting out, I would get a nice original vintage watch whose style you like and preferably has been serviced. I honestly think collectibility or value/potential for appreciation shouldn't be your primary priority at this stage of the game for you and at the price level you are looking at. I think you you should be looking at vintage omegas to wear and enjoy at this point.

3. joshgibsonbrown Jan 7, 2013

This is fair feedback, but I'm still interested to know more about this particular watch. Can you help? I'm learning little by little by finding watches and then taking what I know and can find out about them back to the internet - this forum in particular - and other sources to learn more. I figure if I look at enough over time, with the guidance of pros on here, I'll start to develop an eye for what is special and what is ordinary.

4. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2013

Not very collectable or sought after. :(

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

It is almost iconic in its early 70's design. Many vintage pieces look stately or elegant. I'm afraid this just looks dated, unless you are going for a campy look.

6. joshgibsonbrown Jan 7, 2013

Thanks guys. Afraid I'd tend to agree with cicindela anyways!

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Dynamics could be a good place to start - they're inexpensive, plentiful and still look good. But there are a huge number of radials in the Far East, although that also gives a good learning opportunity.

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 7, 2013

I have one similar to that model without the date. Unique, but not really special, so it is not yet having my wrist time. Price wise, I got mine about 25% lower then your offer price, but may be the condition is different.

Deville Geneve other 2012 MR.jpg