1968 Omega Speedmaster 145.022 Ebay..Someone got a bargain or?

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Seller is G-comex. Well known guy. No bargain.

Well lets have a look. Seller is established, and in HK which is at the tail end of its Virus experience - lets hope - compared to US and UK. So I imagine HK sellers are getting impatient. Certainly we see the bigger HK IG accounts showing a lot of watches.

On first inspection the idea of a correct transitional for $4,300 is indeed cheap.
4.JPG

Now these photos are not easy to get a good feel for the colours. We can see the bezel is blue grey and the dial might have a brown tint.

3.JPG

The dial appears to be missing lume, or at the least an unattractive colour. Print it intact. Dial body is from what I can see also undamaged, but I cannot fathom its character. So far it does not make me jump.

The bezel is not attractive to me, it looks dry and dead, as well as serious damage at 150, less elsewhere. I do not find this bezel attractive, and therefore I cannot attribute value to it.

The case has had some serious metal removal at the outer lugs and changed the profile.

2.JPG
The hands are likely some sort of replacement (to me).

The thing is this is exactly the kind of quality that no dealer will be proud to sell, and no HK dealer will have any local customers for.

It is fair to good all through, and HK wants very good to excellent.

So not surprising it ended up on Ebay, and that it sold at that level, which I think is a fair price all things considered. Not too high and not too cheap.

If you go shopping with $4300 today, what else can you find?