Forums Latest Members
  1. Henman Jul 25, 2015

Edit: 9/9/15
    Got Omega extract. Everything checks out.

IMG_7995.JPG

Respectable Members,

Below is my watch. Recently had a bad experience with a seller in NYC while looking at a '53 fat arrow. He had his doubts about my watch's authenticity. Didn't like the guy, though. A pushy used car salesman type. Trust Dowling's insurance valuation and description of provenance much much more. A true gentleman.

Had thinner bars that had been re-welded. I had JD do them over to the proper thickness. Still not 100% but I don't want to expose the watch to any more heat. I'm fine with them as they are. Never selling it.

From my research, it has the correct small T and 12-arabic at top, sans serif 1 on bezel, blue hue to bezel, and pin holes on dial lume at 12 and 6. Serial number is a late 1966 (?), period correct 247XXXXX for a '67 MOD watch.

For peace of mind, please give your honest opinions. I want to kill this tiny seed of doubt that was planted yesterday. Thanks in advance.

W101.jpg
    W102.jpg
    W10b.jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Edited Sep 9, 2015
    VictorAlpha likes this.
  2. TNTwatch Jul 25, 2015

Would you mind telling what his doubts are?

3. Henman Jul 25, 2015

Sure. He was "skeptical" about the engravings, the dial being re-done, the hands being patch jobs or re-lumed. Even the small T he thought was weird looking, the printing on the dial. All of it. I had to explain to him that there are fat Ts and thin Ts, big triangle, 12 at top (should have walked out right then). He was basically talking over me and had a barrage of critiques of what I think is a pretty sweet watch. I went in with a really open mind, ready to talk watches with enthusiasm and sincerity, but he was just dominating the whole interaction. I like to think I'm a gentle, friendly, easy-going person in real life. We were on totally different ends of the spectrum. New money vs. old money type of thing. Boisterousness vs. low-key understated subtley.

Wind me up and it's a different story, though. Don't piss me off - which he did. Ha.

If you want my unfiltered, take on the encounter, you can find it here: http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...sale-19-5-2015&p=232257&viewfull=1#post232257

I didn't think my remarks are appropriate to repost in full to the respectable members here. ;) See my comment about getting 5512 hands re-lumed vs. sourcing authentic matching hands. Alright, I've written enough. Need to get to bed! Thanks for requesting more clarification. Talk tomorrow.

H

4. Henman Jul 26, 2015

Oh, I also realize that the bezel doesn't completely line up. That's probably from a missing jewel from a service way back when. I've seen ways that people re-align the bezels by shifting the jewel spacing, but I don't want to risk popping it off and cracking the insert. If it cracks from use or wear and tear, whatever. I'll have left my mark on it.

5. Henman Jul 26, 2015

Higher res photos.

W101.jpg W102.jpg W10b.jpg

6. emilio Jul 26, 2015

I am not so into these sm300's however I must admit dial and hands look very green that's why I can imagine he says relume.

Again I am not so into these watches and I know some vintage Tudor tritium also aged green..

7. TNTwatch Jul 26, 2015

My impression is the front looks good, but the back has been ground down a bit much compared to others, most likely a variation though as the engravings look OK.

The bezel issue is because of the misaligned insert installation on the bezel. I think the insert cannot be removed easily from the bezel without damage. I'm not sure how you do "shifting the jewel spacing", but the detent/click balls stay inside deep holes on the caseband, so to shift these balls, you'd have to fill the 3 holes and drill 3 new ones. And then, if you try to put on a correctly aligned bezel, it would be... misaligned...:)

8. base615 Jul 26, 2015

Looks more like Luminova than Tritium to me

9. persco Jul 26, 2015

I don't know enough to comment on his doubts, but it's not uncommon for some unscrupulous dealers to go super negative on a watch in order to seed enough doubt that you'd want to sell it for a lot less than it might otherwise be worth. The prices for good condition SM300 MOD watches has exploded recently and they are selling for astronomical prices. More knowledgeable members here can tell you more about what you might have there.

If you plan to keep it, I say it looks amazing. Ignore the dealer. I'd love to know who it is, though. Sounds like he was a bit of an egotistical douche bag.

10. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jul 26, 2015

last example of similar dialed Omega mil- though not W10- traded 25k £ @ Bonhams.
    Im not sure why you went to see those guys in first place, but can understand why you left.
    Hold on to her, she's a keeper.

11. Henman Jul 26, 2015

Was seeing a '53 fat arrow I was interested in.

More pics of the engravings. The head-on shot makes them look shallower than they are. Smiths '67 W10 in background.

IMG_459606082.JPG IMG_459606189.JPG

12. Henman Jul 26, 2015

He was very dismissive of any knowledge that could be gained from forums so don't expect him to see this. I, on the other hand, value the collective intelligence of all the professionals and enthusiasts that contribute to resources such as OmegaForums and MWR. I also have a way of tracking if he has shared my watch's hidden number which he promised not to do.

Maybe it was the fact that I biked over in flip-flops and a T and he felt overdressed?? My age (27)? Wanting to appear in control of the situation in front of the other men there?? I don't know. (alright, enough...I'm done)

Edited by a mod Jul 26, 2015
  13. Traveler Jul 26, 2015

It's not '007' is it ?! :D .... I'm no expert but nothing he said would put me off - looks like a great watch. Wear it in good health, and laugh about what a ::censored:: he is every time you look at it.

14. Henman Jul 26, 2015

Ha. Perhaps...
    Yes, I'm getting a good laugh out of the encounter now. It was kind of like meeting your childhood hero and finding out he's a jerk. I really admired their site until I met them in person. Now that I've seen the man behind the curtain, not so much.

15. Henman Jul 26, 2015

Yes, used the wrong term. I mean the balls or rubies or whatever they're called. I'm probably using the wrong terminology. Graham at Superlative Time first explained this to me and I'm likely butchering his explanation. I found a forums post somewhere showing how you can remove the entire bezel mechanism, adjust the ball spacing, and then reinstall. Can't find it right now.

16. persco Jul 26, 2015

He is notorious for buying vintage watches from people and reselling them at much higher prices. I met someone at the last Red Bar in Toronto who said the same thing to me.

Shouldn't matter what you're wearing or how old you are. And if you don't know too much about watches, he should have been even more respectful. Shameful and shallow, I think. Very disappointing.

Which Watch Next likes this.
  17. lwong Jul 26, 2015

Never bought a watch off him and it's clear to all that they market at a high rate, but nevertheless I do think it's a bit harsh to name and shame when only one side was presented. There will always be people who knock on whatever you wear... Especially if it's vintage and the majority of watch "experts" are mainly acquainted with modern offerings. Be the bigger person.

18. watchlovr Jul 26, 2015

i don't think this is correct without drilling new holes.
    The bezel is easily removed and refitted but it would refit no differently than before.
    I think its likely the insert was fitted off centre originally and you'll just have to live with it.

19. Henman Jul 26, 2015

Oh, I know plenty about watches. I just didn't think I would have to enter his man-cave ready to defend my watch. I would have had all references to other W10s I've seen, correspondence with experts on other forums, exchange of serials etc. I only found the May 2015 Bonhams auction after I got home and started mulling things over. Would have showed him in person as he called my watch "fishy".

Edit: He even said that the circled T on my dial looked like it was stamped on. The T should be fatter in his opinion. He didn't know that there are different Ts depending on year. If Lume was re-done at some point on the sword hands, whatever, but the T? Please

Edited Jul 26, 2015
  20. Henman Jul 26, 2015

I'll try to find the thread later. I may be wrong. And yes, living with it is fine with me. Live and Love.