Forums Latest Members

1967 Ss Constellation C Shape Cal 751 Grey Dial .............. 3rd Learning Session

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

This is my 3rd learning session on Omega Vintage watches. The object is rather interesting 1967 SS Constellation C Shape Cal 751 Grey Dial.

Cn 751 grey front1 MR.jpg

The reference is ST 168 0029, which from Vintage Omega Database has these details:

Reference ST 168.0029
    International collection 1967
    Movement
    Type: Automatic chronometer certified
    Caliber number: 751
    Created in 1967
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    First day/date Omega caliber

Functions Day-date, Chronometer
    Case Stainless steel
    Case back Screw-in
    Dial With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.

Crystal Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet Leather
    Water resistance 30 meters

First reason why it is interesting because it come with SS (or aluminium?) bracelet despite reference that it should have leather strap. I've never seen metal brcelet like this before: very thin, hollow, light, flexible and bendable. None could be different compare to SMP Bond bracelet.

The second reason is because the seller mentioned that the bezel is solid white gold. True the bezel is shinier than the rest of the metal and the database reference mentioned the hour markers and hands are indeed from gold (which explain the condition of the hands are far better than my seamasters), but I need to confirm with other members here whether it is common for Omega back then to mix SS with gold bezel.

The third reason is because the dial color is bluish grey. Uncommon and painful to get the picture right. But beautiful in reality. The picture that I took did not do justice on how it looks in reality. It is in very clean condition

The writing and applied logo are correct as well as other marker on the dial.
    The case is still in good shape, lightly polished and show light wear & scratch.

The hesalite is original with small Omega logo intact. Few fine scratches barely noticeable with bare eyes.

Cn 751 grey front2 MR.jpg

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

The crown is 'starfruit' shape (this is what Jakarta people called this type of crown) in original and fine condition.

Cn 751 grey crown side MR.jpg

The case back is screw in type with Observatory medallion intact. No serial number of movement number engraved in case back.

Cn 751 grey case back MR.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, the bracelet is metal with small square bead pattern with type number 518. The clasp use simple mono lock mechanism that I feel not too secure and may not have high reliability to wear and tear.

Cn 751 grey bracelet and clasp MR.jpg

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 4, 2012

Omega watches were typically delivered with a leather strap, bracelets were offered by the selling dealer as an option. This one is very typical for the C case Constellation and are referred to a a "brick" style.

Yes, the bezel on these with the fluting are 14k white gold.

The dark nickel finish on the dial is while not common on these is correct and this one appears to be original.

The crown is correct for this case reference and the serial number would be found on the movement and not on the case.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Inside the case back the reference no 168 029 is engraved along with usual Omega triangle and ACIER INOX.... scribing.
    There is 'KB' writing in semi circle symbol, which I do not understand the meaning.

Cn 751 grey inner CB MR.jpg
    Lastly the movement. The caliber 751 is a candy to the eye. Light copper color and very clean, this caliber has strong reputation of reliability. This is chronometer certified movement and adjusted for 5 position and temperatures.

Serial number 32 XXXX means the movement was created in 1970. Does this mean a newer movement coming to 1967 case or it is just latest series of production that already begin since 1967? I hope the later is what happened. A very nice example of C shape Connie in near mint condition, with unique dial color, it would be sad if this not a 'correct' watch.

Cn 751 grey mov1 MR.jpg

Cn 751 grey mov2 MR.jpg

Dablitzer likes this.
  5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Thanks...........what a relief..........:thumbsup:

6. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2012

When the Omega database gives a year of production, that's the first year that reference was made - not the only year. So yes, that is a correct dial color and caliber for that reference in 1970. It would have been made into 1971, and then changed from 1972 on when Omega started using the 1000 series calibers.

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 4, 2012

Your pictures prove the necessity to have nice high resolution examples to go by. The first pic shows the script as very thick, and one could be tempted to call it as a redial, however the side-on pic shows the lettering in detail and makes it much easier to establish that it's an original dial.

This dial has the "new generation" lettering and indicates a post-70 model. Not so collectible to purists as the original lettering with the curled Ns but offers different dial colours including blue and maroon.

All bezels on C-Shape with mid-500 (including 751) calibres have a 14 karat white/yellow/pink gold solid bezel, as did earlier models. In looking at condition, note in your side picture there is a fine chamfer that runs from lug to lug on both sides. This indicates the finish is close to original - sure it has patina but it hasn't been put to the mop. Your other pics show strong signs of the radial brushed finish on the case top. So what you have here is a good, honest example.

KB is the mark of the case-maker Bielna commissioned by Omega to supply these cases.
    Cheers

Desmond

Privateday7 likes this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 4, 2012

Thank you.......a very detail and useful information. I will use it for screening my next acquisition

9. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 4, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

You have done well with this watch, since I have always heard (whether this is true or otherwise, only you can confirm), looking for an authentic and factory-original vintage-watch in Djakarta is akin to looking for a needle in a haystack.

However, if you are well-armed with the knowledge imparted by enthusiasts and experts here, I am sure you will do well, since there will be some more good ones, waiting for you. Do still be wary and bring your next beauty to the attention of this forum, before making a final decision.

Thank-you.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 5, 2012

Dear respectable member Seamonster,
    Thank you. It is true there are many fakes and franken around here. Frankly I might be lucky this time. But there are few sellers that still have honesty to mention what really happened to the watch. It is important to know these sellers and maintain good relationship with them.

Still, I concur with you to ask second opinion from this forum, before any major purchase even with these trusted seller.

Regards,

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

Worry not about Djakarta only, there are lots of 'rubbish', throughout the whole world of today. We have to be wary, at all times, even then we are humans.

It is to be expected, popular brand-names like Omega, Rolex and Patek Philippe are faked but I am shocked to learn, even the very unpopular names are copied, too. The maggots are everywhere and this is real sickening.

Thank-you.