Forums Latest Members
  1. applebook Nov 10, 2014

What do you think of the package overall?

If it's all original and unpolished, with recent service, what would you pay?

1.jpg
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2014

Can't say what I'd pay without more detailed photos, including the movement, but looks like a decent honest example from the one photo.

IMO, and others may not agree, a late 321, as yours may be - would need the serial # - might have had that style of chrono seconds hand when shipped. So-called "transitional" caliber 861's had stepped dials with applied logo, hippocampus casebacks, and or other previous-generation parts. Not hard to imagine a hand going the other direction. But many, if not most, would prefer to see the spear-end version on this reference.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 10, 2014

I cannot make a value judgement on this image.

I am one of those who prefers to see a spear on this reference. If one thing is out of place, then I look at everything else carefully.

A service would not change my idea of the value unless it was from an established 321 watchmaker. (Not many of those)

If you can establish what you have, in terms of calibre, case reference, originality and then condition, then you could use this price chart to give you an idea:

http://www.speedmaster101.com/price-chart/

If you are able to post better photos, in particular showing the face head on so that the dial condition and colour can be seen, then I am sure everyone here can offer up better opinions

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2014

There are quite a lot of 145.012-67s especially later ones seen with the later style hand including a few that we're fairly sure are single owner watches and then the orange hand 145.012-67s have the later style hand (in orange).

5. applebook Nov 10, 2014

Here are more pictures. I've actually held this in my hand, and it was very nice (perhaps even special), but that was 4 months ago.

I won't worry too much about the seconds hand so long as it's correct. It's funny because my previous Cal. 861 '68 had a dovetail hand that was perfect.

Spacefruit, the prices from your list seem pretty high, but most of the 321s that I've seen sell lately have been fairly mediocre examples. The best one was probably JohnSteed's at a very nice $4550 with display back. Damn I wanted that one.

1.jpg 2.jpg unnamed.jpg
  6. JohnSteed Nov 11, 2014

Not bad !! Okay, movement photo would be helpful but. The movement is important to see but some may gamble if they can return a dud, if the movement is shot

My .012 was in a certain range, when we were more sane : )
    There was demand for it, it seems. Don't know how else to describe it but generally, nice examples are being priced higher too. Think of each 321 sale as a trip to the moon. The price chart tells where others have journeyed. But your trip can be in a similar range (likely) or entirely different (maybe something special). Watch's condition should be a primary component, and your desire, of course

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 11, 2014

As far as prices go, this watch falls into the "running" category at $3600. This is only meant to be a ball park.
    Why running and not good? There is a big difference in values in this reference.

Nice case,
    Poor bezel
    Undocumented history (so far)
    Less desireable chrono hand
    Dial appears correct, but without the patina or graceful aging that makes me pay a premium. It's good, just not special.

You have made me think about my nomenclature!

As an addendum, the pushers look ill fitting, there are too much "teeth" showing for me to feel that a competent service has been carried out.

8. g-boac Nov 11, 2014

I'm with Will. This one is rough, and has some serious condition issues. Will had documented most of them, but the handset, while possibly matched to itself, does not appear to match the dial. The patina on the dial markers hues green, while the hands is closer toward cream or orange. If the hands were original to the watch, you would have expected the hands to see the same environmental conditions, which would have cause the same aging, as the dial.

Pass.

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. applebook Nov 11, 2014

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I reckon that I'm going to pass on this for the asking price. Ideally, I want something exceptionally clean but would "settle" if the price is right. $3600 isn't even remotely close to what the seller is offering though.

10. JohnSteed Nov 11, 2014

It's okay to spend hard earned cash on a nice example that's satisfying to behold. I tend to argue for patience, until you meet the one you really like