Forums Latest Members
  1. autism Nov 17, 2013

I found this Omega watch that i like and want to order (they are selling it for $340 or best offer... is even it a decent price if it's a real one?) but i'm suspicious it might be a fake!
    Can you tell if it's authentic or not? If it really is real, what else can you tell about this watch?

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2013

Fake? No.

Icky? Yes.

Pass on it unless you need it for parts, and then don't pay more than $200 (and even that's too high IMO). That $340 could be used towards a decent watch. These 60's manual winds can be had for $500 - $750 depending on condition.

3. autism Nov 17, 2013

Why do you think it's icky?...
    It's just that for my taste this is exactly the type of style i was looking for - a pre-1965 with a very thin bezel, similar to the cheap Seiko 66-9990 look of frame and dial.

Can you recommend a Omega that looks like this seiko and where to get one under $300? (Btw, this Omega he agrees to let it for $280 shipped)

1.JPG
  4. trim Nov 17, 2013

While not attempting to answer for Dennis, I would be unhappy with the condition of the movement - cosmetics aside. It has been damp/humid and I doubt it would run well, or for too long. I would never touch a watch with rust on the visible steel parts - as you never know where else it has corroded. The exception being something valuable, such as an early speedmaster - which this isn't. Believe me when I say, often this sort of rust isn't just skin deep.

The case has some defects, in particular the bezel looks like it doesn't seat well - it may just not be located properly - but it is something that needs to be resolved or it will be lost. Over a year and I am still waiting to find a replacement bezel for one of mine.

It isn't terrible, but it is worth finding a better one, as you will spend less in the long run.

5. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2013

I don't like the replacement crown, the chipping and wearing of the plating, and the poor overall condition of the dial - and the whole watch. If it were in better shape it would be very nice.

6. autism Nov 17, 2013

You guys convinced me, I'm not buying this one.

But I really want a pre-1965 watch that looks like this Seiko - very thin bezel and very retro dial style - which watch could you recommend that looks kinda like that? It doesn't even have to be Omega, but Omega would be nice

7. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2013

I don't know if you'll find a nice one under $300. The 70's Genèves and DeVilles with the 10xx calibers can come pretty cheap, but what you're after (60x manuals or 55x/56x automatics) are going to be $500+ in nicer condition.

Look for one of these models: a Seamaster 600 or a Seamaster 30.

8. autism Nov 17, 2013

I like their dials, but their bezels are way too thick for my taste!
    I could go a bit higher than 300 bucks but i need something with a retro, very thin bezel

I like this one, but i'm afraid it's just a nice angle and in reality that bezel is thicker
    What would be a reasonable price for this one in a great condition?

$T2eC16dHJHYFFkWf)3GmBSShQ!Sbzw~~60_35.JPG
  9. Hijak Nov 18, 2013

Condition...should look more like this...

Seamaster 600, 5.JPG

And this...

Wrist Shot, 3.JPG

10. autism Nov 18, 2013

The bezel is still way too thick, i like a almost non-existent bezel
    How much would one in similar condition cost? Are you interested in selling yours?

11. trim Nov 18, 2013

It will always look too thick on this period Omega, due to the armored hessilite retaining ring. The actual bezel on that model is quite slim. So you may not find what you are after from an Omega from this period. I confess, I left out the retaining ring on one of mine - and it looks very nice, but in most cases the dial and case probably wont let you get away with this.

I suspect the first model you showed us may have had the ring left out, not sure I have never seen one in the flesh.

Have you looked at other brands, such as Kano or Junghans, they have more minimalist bauhaus type designs.

12. autism Nov 18, 2013

Yes, i like the Junghans look, but it's modern and ridiculously overpriced at several thousand$. I wish there was an old watch like Junghans, hailing from the 1950s
    And also i don't like big dials, i find them gaudy - i want a classic size dial, maximum 34mm
    I do like your Seamaster

13. trim Nov 18, 2013

You know Junghans is an old brand - this style is not new, there are many pre WW2 examples across a number of brands. I have certainly seen 1950s examples, you will just need patience to wait for them to come around, they are much less common than Omega.

14. trim Nov 18, 2013

Searching google bauhaus vintage watch...

Here are a few examples, I don't know if the radial numbers are your thing, I love them.

Doxa:

[​IMG]

Nivrel

[​IMG]

Stowa

[​IMG]

Kano

[​IMG]
    etc...

rhetoric likes this.
  15. autism Nov 18, 2013

I don't like the 'arabic' numerals on the watch dial - i like the vertical dashes like on your SM

16. trim Nov 18, 2013

Well I picked my favourites, and I prefer them myself. Just look and see what you like. These aren't the only ones out there.

17. Hijak Nov 18, 2013

Too thick, really, OK...and no mine is not for sale. Cost, in this condition with an original Omega buckle, I know others will argue this but IMO you will pay somewhere in the range of $600 to $800. You may find one on eBay for less but be certain to do your research or you may end up paying much more in the long run.

18. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2013

This thread gives me a great idea on how to generate revenue: start a for-profit shopping service. That's basically what we're doing, just without the fee.

19. trim Nov 18, 2013

Yeah I'm out. Caio.

20. autism Nov 18, 2013

Thanks everyone, i appreciate it!