Forums Latest Members
  1. rorye Sep 27, 2014

Hi Folks,
    I'm not a watch expert but love my 1965 Constellation. It was given to me in 1980 and since then I've kept it well maintained.
    At one point it was serviced and came back with the new hands shown in the attached photos.
    I would really like to get it back to it's original look but didn't get the original parts back. Looking online I found what I think are the correct hands at Otto Frei,
    "Silver Baton With Luminous 12.7 mm Long" and "Silver Tone Sweep Second Hand 12.7 mm HAN-501"
    I think these are the same as the original because they were shorter than the new ones and from looking at other 1965's on the web they look correct.
    Also the bracelet recently came apart. My jeweler recommends replacing the whole thing but again, I'm trying to keep it as original as possible.
    I thought I'd ask here as you're obviously a knowledgeable bunch! Thanks in advance, Rory

W2.jpg W3.jpg W1.jpg
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Unfortunately the original hands were not baton.
    The hands were dauphine but different size and lume configuration then the current ones. The second hand is too long as well.
    BTW the dial has been repainted at some point as well.

The hands and dial should look like this but with lume instead of black 168_005dz.jpg :

3. rorye Sep 27, 2014

Thanks cicindela, that's just what they looked like but with lume. Seeing the hands in context makes a big difference.
    I'm curious about the dial being repainted as I never asked anyone to do that. At one point it had some condensation damage, is it possible that damage to the dial is what's showing up in the photo? It has a rougher looking texture than when it was younger, almost like very fine sandpaper.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

No the dial has been refinished. However, sometimes watchmakers have dials refinished without telling or explaining to the customer. Doing this was once quite common.
    The winding crown was replaced as well, but that is very acceptable for a daily wearer and often necessary for water protection. The original style crowns are very difficult to obtain for these and no longer in production.

5. rorye Sep 27, 2014

Wow, and presumably there's no way to get it back to original shape?

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 27, 2014

Yes, but it will cost you lots of money.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Well you could certainly get it close. The dial could be refinished to a much better quality of appearance.
    I would check with this chap about who he uses for dials, never be exactly the same as original, but certainly a lot closer: http://www.omegaaddict.com/ Tim McCrain

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Very true. But you have to decide how much you want to put into it.

Hoi do you have dial guy you can recommend ?

9. rorye Sep 27, 2014

Thanks for the link, I know it's not a valuable watch $wise, but it means a lot to me and I'd love to see it back in good shape. I've emailed Tim.
    Meanwhile I'll wear my Seamaster, it's a beautiful watch but much heavier than the Constellation.

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 27, 2014

Yes, but nobody wants to send his watch to Viet Nam.

mbeast likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

When I finally come across something with a really special case or reference but a trashed dial I'll have to give your guy a go, I remember a year or two back the pics looks absolutely excellent