Forums Latest Members
  1. TheLorax Aug 31, 2016

Hello everyone!

Over the past year I've slowly introduced the world of fine watches to my girlfriend, and she's finally succumbed and bought her first "real" watch. She really loves the nice clean styling of Omega Seamasters, but hates the current styling (and price) of modern female references. They're all either too "frilly" or way too small for her, and the modern men's references are too big.

Given the above, she decided that she wanted a vintage Omega Seamaster, preferably from the mid-1960s. Her main criteria for the watch were that it be stainless steel, 34-36mm, white/silver dial, and automatic.

For the past few months, she's been scouring the internet looking for the right piece. Every time she would find a posting, something wouldn't be quite right about it. Eventually, we made our way to the local watch & clock shop, which is run by a swatch certified watchmaker. When we walked in, I pointed at a watch in the front row of their case - it was exactly what she was looking for! The watch was labeled as a 1965 Omega Seamaster (Ref. 165-002), but from what we've been able to research, it's actually a 1967 reference (the only other similar piece I could find is referenced in this post: https://omegaforums.net/threads/cry...atic-geneve-seamaster-1967-cal-550-552.36716/) The owner told us that he had actually just finished servicing the watch, and placed it in the display case the day before!

Our one question was regarding the caseback - the embossed Seamaster logo doesn't appear to go with the Geneve branding. Is that normal for this reference?Without further adieu, here are some pictures!

Thanks!

P.S. we think this is the correct reference: ST 165.0037, Cal. 550 / 552 https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15117/

P8270234.JPG P8270240.JPG P8270246.JPG P8310249.JPG
    Edited Aug 31, 2016
    voere and Jwit like this.
  2. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 31, 2016

Normal for that time period, definitely some Geneves had the Seamaster caseback as they phased out the Geneve/Seamaster connection.

TheLorax likes this.