Forums Latest Members
  1. NYerJason Dec 28, 2019

Hello,
    This is my first post to the forum. I have an Omega Constellation that I'd love to know more about. I'm including some photos taken with my phone. I'm interested in hearing about where I might be able to have the piece recalibrated/restored and where I may procure the missing braclet part that mounts to the pins. Also, best practices for maintaining the watch and where I could get a secondary, appropriate strap. The watch appears to me to be in original shape without polishing. It's growing on me and I would like to wear it as a daily wristwatch.
    Thanks,
    Jason[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. NYerJason Dec 28, 2019

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Dec 28, 2019

You're right. It is in pretty sharp condition, just a little etching of the gold plaque on the inner lugs caused by the bracelet end pieces. These models actually came with a leather strap and bracelets were purchased at the retail end.

I would source an independent watchmaker and simply ask for the movement to be disassembled, cleaned, oiled and regulated, ask for the case back gasket to be replaced, and if he recommends a new crown to enhance moisture resistance I would go with it, but ask for the old crown back. I suggest a new crown because you mentioned that you want the watch as a daily wearer. The case, if you want to maintain it in "collector condition" must not be polished, and I would be very specific about this in your instructions.

Avoid Omega service centres because they will want ot send the watch back to Bienne for a very expensive, and unnecessary, refurbishment that may not be very sympathetic to its vintage status.

Cheers

Desmond

4. Shabbaz Dec 28, 2019

Welcome back Desmond!

mondodec likes this.
  5. lindo Dec 28, 2019

It seems a pity to wear this as a daily watch, when it is a nice example of a gold capped pie pan with the original crown. Apart from having to change the crown as Desmond suggests, wearing it daily will inevitably add scratches and start smoothing out edges that look pretty good right now.

I like wearing my vintage pieces from time to time - it is always a rush to put something you love on your wrist for a while - but I feel we owe special care to the nice ones that have survived fifty or sixty years.

JohnnyRocket and janice&fred like this.
  6. Edward53 Dec 29, 2019

Ebay is your best bet for a replacement end link. You might have to buy a pair.

janice&fred likes this.
  7. janice&fred Dec 29, 2019

oh baby that's one gorgeous watch! yes find the original end pieces as that watch is gonna really be something to see on that original bracelet. those old gold-capped constellations are pure '60's snazz!

lindo likes this.