Forums Latest Members
  1. Hotwheelbill Feb 23, 2014

I received my Fathers 1963 Omega Constellation about 5 years ago. Last year I took it to the Omega store near me and was told it would have to be sent off to Switzerland for any work on the watch. It is a Pie pan black dial and the hash marks and hands are faded. Watch works and keeps good time. Band was after market and is now in the trash. So, two weeks ago, I went back in and had it sent off to Omega Switzerland for an appraisal for a refurb.
    1) Will I be given the info on the inside of the back cover by Omega (store would not open it)?
    2) If it was white gold, would it have any markings on the outer case to indicate so?
    3) Has anyone else had a watch sent off to Switzerland for a rebuild and any est. of cost?

Thanks for any help for a new (2) Omega owner. (I also bought a Speedmaster Triple last week).

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

1. Yes. They will give you an "Extract from the Archives" that tells you when and where the watch was delivered to the wholesaler.

2. Yes, if it were white gold, there would be two very small hallmarks on the inside of the lugs. Also, the observatory on the back would show the bricks on solid gold pieces like this one:

[​IMG]

It would also be exceedingly rare and have a very high value.

3. I have not, but here is the link to Omega's website that discusses cost:

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/complete-maintenance-service-prices

Your watch is likely a Group A, which will cost just under $1,000 to service. It will take at least six months, maybe more if you send it in August when the factory closes for vacations. A much better choice would be to take it to an independent watchmaker. Since I don't know where you are located, I can't make any recommendations in your area. If you choose to mail it, Al Archer in Canada would be a good choice. Look up "Archer" here, you'll find many of his posts.

Good luck with your project.
    gatorcpa

3. Hotwheelbill Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for the reply. It has no marks and no bars on the cover. So SS. I have already sent it off and it will be $75 if I decide to just have it returned to me. I am thinking that I will go ahead with the refurb from Omega. My Father bought it new when he was at sea as a third mate for Lykes Lines before I was born , and I was the one that screwed up the original band. Thanks again for the info.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

OK, but please do not, do not, do not let Omega touch the dial unless it's really in horrible condition. They will want to repaint it, which will not be done to the same standard as when the watch was new.

We could help you more with pictures of the watch pre-Omega service.
    gatorcpa

5. Hotwheelbill Feb 23, 2014

I was told by Omega store rep. that they would not, under any circumstances, repaint or replace the dial as it is THE WATCH. Kind of like putting an LS6 into a Bugatti. Fun, but just not right!

6. Hotwheelbill Feb 23, 2014

But that they would refurb the hash marks and hands.

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

All you have to know is that some serious vintage omega collectors will not send their pieces to omega to be serviced - price is too high and their efforts at real sympathetic restoration are spotty at best.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

They can not re-do the the indices, or hash marks as you call them, without refinishing the dial. I wish we could have seen the watch before you sent if off, as we could have given you very specific recommendations. Honestly, you would be much better off giving them the $75 and getting the watch back.

Habitant likes this.
  9. Hotwheelbill Feb 23, 2014

wow. Omega has gone that bad? I don't mean to sound like an ass, but is this an "old Omega is better than the new Omega" thing?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

You might not be old enough to remember this, but...

gatorcpa

ron n likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

No, it's more of a "no one knows how to do the job properly anymore" thing. Omega used dozens of contractors to make those dials back then. Most have gone out of business, so the original dies are long gone. The modern companies are capable of doing the work, but without the original dies it's impossible to make them look the same.

For American watches, a lot of the original dial companies are still in business and use the old processes to refurbish dials. So for American watch collectors (think Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, etc.) it's not a terrible thing to redo a dial.

But for Omega collectors, it's a big Bozo no-no.
    gatorcpa

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

No not at all. In fact they are better then many companies. Rolex will not even work on a watch as old as yours. If you just have them service the movement that is fine. But you have to understand that watch manufacturers have a very different perspective than watch collectors or owners with a sentimental sensitivity. Their objective is to make a watch like a new one, not necessarily the one they made decades ago. Any changes at all are seen as perfectly fine to them. They do not have the facility to redo every dial and case they receive. Sometimes they do good work on cases, but dials they generally sub out to independent subcontractors . Omega is not a museum conservator.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

For vintage collectors: Less is more For watch company: Less profit
    So it makes economic sense to try to restore to new to get their warranty and of course to maximize the bottom line.

14. Hotwheelbill Feb 23, 2014

Humm, As that was not the projection given by the Omega Dealer local . I was told that the watch would/has been sent to NYC office and that they would not open the watch but would send it strait to Switzerland. Everything I was told lead me to believe that the watch would have 100% Omega "Factory" restoration.
    This some information I should have looked for before!

15. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2014

Some of us have owned 50 or more Omegas. To some other members, 50 is peanuts. I don't know of ONE SINGLE seasoned collector who would send a vintage watch back to Bienne for 'restoration' because of Omega's practices. Originality is the key to value, whether it's a $500 watch or a $25,000 watch.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 23, 2014

Technically, the Boutique is correct. The watch will be sent to the Omega factory where technicians there will do the work. That makes it is a factory restoration and they do back their work with a 2-year warranty.

However, not all of the original parts are still around. So Omega makes do with what they have. The supply of new-old-stock dials for Constellations were exhausted a long time ago.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

17. Hotwheelbill Feb 24, 2014

Looking ahead, I need a good jeweler, in Jacksonville Florida, to work on this Omega Constellation as well as my Omega Speedmaster that has it's own issues. Or contact info for a trusted Jeweler that I could mail it off to.
    Thanks for all the help.

18. FiveG Feb 24, 2014

Is there a list on this site of well-regarded repair/refurbish/service folks, by locale, for vintage Omegas?

19. Dablitzer Feb 24, 2014

stefan for the UK. Or Archer for US and Canada. Great service and probably wouldn't trust many others with my watches. Others can attest to that as well. Those are the ones I have had experiences with, probably a few others who are recommended here as well.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2014

Steve N2FHL is good too in NJ

epl108 likes this.