Forums Latest Members
  1. Audiman30000 Aug 22, 2014

Hi
    I am looking for some advice. I have recently acquired an 18ct gold 1962 Omega Seamaster 552 24 jewel movement on a leather strap and the watch is in need of repair.

Can anyone advise of any good watch repairers in the UK that deal with vintage Omegas and can also undertake a dial restoration at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Darren

2. Audiman30000 Aug 22, 2014

3. John R Smith Aug 22, 2014

Audiman

Can you give us a bit more detail -

Why does the watch need repair - is it not running, or winding, or setting, or what?

Why does it need a dial restoration - is it water damaged or badly patinated by UV exposure?

4. Mothra Aug 22, 2014

Post us a picture of the dial!

The two most common uk recommendations on this site are stefan, a member here, and Christian Dannemann at watchguy.co.uk.

5. Audiman30000 Aug 22, 2014

6. Audiman30000 Aug 22, 2014

The watch has just stopped running. It was running slow and then stopped altogether!

7. Mothra Aug 22, 2014

:) Weird. The first picture didn't shown up for me, sorry. Ive certainly seen worse, and its always worth remembering that a redial may wind up not meeting your expectations. Having said that, I wonder how well that patina might respond to a careful cleaning allowing you to keep the original finish? Its a handsome watch with a top flight movement - your mileage may well vary, but Id wear that proudly, scars and all.

8. Audiman30000 Aug 22, 2014

Hi
    how much do you think it would be worth once repaired / restored? I am a novice on this website!

i am wondering if it is economical to repair. I can see that originality is important on these watches.

thanks

Darren

9. Mothra Aug 22, 2014

It almost certainly just needs a service at £120ish from some of the more popular watchmakers. Given that its solid gold and now not running id say it worth doing as what you paid is irrelevant, but there's probably a £120 difference in sale price between a freshly serviced example and a non running watch with some dial issues. If you are at all worried about resale, do not have it redialled and don't have it polished. I'm not focused on Seamaster, but id be guessing up to £1300 for a solid gold one running. Gents, correct me if this number is off...

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2014

Those dials actually respond pretty well to cleaning with an eraser (by the correct person with the right care) I've had two with the same spotting removed flawlessly with that method.